Remove Advertisements

Malygos now 6 mins for the achievement.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Cakes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:58 pm

wingman wrote:
1) Sparks are rootable, but will despawn 90 seconds after they spawn, so you can't keep all sparks rooted in one spot and blow 4 or 5 up at once. Basically, the best you can do now is get 3 stacks. The buff also doesn't seem to last as long, but I don't have exact times on it.


The sparks and the spark pool share the same lifespan, so if a spark is alive for 45 seconds before it's killed, the buff pool only lasts 45 seconds. If it's killed after living for 80 seconds, the buff pool is only up for 10 seconds, and so on. Really seems to negate the purpose of rooting altogether on this fight.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Postby Joanadark » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 pm

So essentially they made it so you cant put Curse of Elements up on Malygos right before p3.

Regardless, the time seems difficult, but beatable. You'd need to rear-load offensive cooldowns like heroism into the end of p1 in order to reduce the length of p3 as much as possible. we gave it a could shots today just to try it out with the new timer, and we were about 1 minute behind the timer without using heroism at all, and with letting him eat a spark in p1.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark
 
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Postby hoho » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:02 am

I did it both on 25 and 10-man yesterday and I'd say they have actually made it much harder. Yes, they increased the timer by 1 min but as has been said spark stacking is complicated and you can't DPS him between phase changes any more. We used to deal him up to around 10% damage between P2 and 3 before the patch.
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Postby Aramadin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:05 am

Did Malygos last night.. well "did"...

We noticed that after a vortex at least 5 people get killed each time due to the missile spam from Malygos. Which is due to the CoH nerf i'm assuming.

Anybody have a better/good way of dealing with this?
Aramadin
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:09 am

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 am

Joanadark wrote:Regardless, the time seems difficult, but beatable. You'd need to rear-load offensive cooldowns like heroism into the end of p1 in order to reduce the length of p3 as much as possible. we gave it a could shots today just to try it out with the new timer, and we were about 1 minute behind the timer without using heroism at all, and with letting him eat a spark in p1.


I did some napkin math on my guild forums to persuade them that this encounter is indeed still manageable. If anyone is interested, I can post it here, but suffice it to say the minimum raid DPS (assuming perfect spark buff uptime) is actually surprisingly low for phase 1. Phase 2 is a bit steeper, so that may be the new spot to use heroism. Phase 3 is all about everyone staying alive so you don't waste more than 100 seconds burning Malygos' last ~40%.

So now the focus is on perfect execution throughout the fight rather than gimmicky spark stacking, which is OK in my book :)
baleogthefierce
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:44 am
Location: Farming Molten Core for my Eye

Postby Ewige » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 am

Did they increase the range of the arcane explosion debuff? (the one that gets applied by the breath)

We had people who never had trouble before inexplicably exploded by the blast when they weren't close to the front.
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
User avatar
Ewige
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 pm

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:22 am

Ewige wrote:Did they increase the range of the arcane explosion debuff? (the one that gets applied by the breath)

We had people who never had trouble before inexplicably exploded by the blast when they weren't close to the front.


yes they did.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark
 
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Postby Cakes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Joanadark wrote:
Ewige wrote:Did they increase the range of the arcane explosion debuff? (the one that gets applied by the breath)

We had people who never had trouble before inexplicably exploded by the blast when they weren't close to the front.


yes they did.


Sort of. It's mistakenly being applied to pets right now, which then tend to blow up the raid.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Postby Ewige » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Blizzard QA department didn't get new year bonuses and it shows...
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
User avatar
Ewige
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 pm

Postby knaughty » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:25 pm

We didn't manage this one pre-patch, and tried last night.

Feels easier, not harder. We went closer that before. May have actually got it with a fully stacked raid, we were carrying 3 tanks from Sarth+3, and had too much melee.

We certainly went closer.

Our issue with old version is only having 2 DKs in-guild and only 3 druids, two of whom are feral. Made it almost impossible for us to execute "stack sparks" strat.

1 tank, 5 healers, 19 DPS, mostly ranged and it would be quite achievable.

Our issue is deaths in P2 if we stand in puddles outside bubble. - CoH nerf bites for this.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
User avatar
knaughty
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Lisson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:20 pm

how many "healers" in p3?

in 25 man we generally use 4
Lisson
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Postby kensanity » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 pm

spent 2 and a half hours wiping on this in the 10 man.

Was popping heroism right before the second vortex, (so that when we land, he goes into phase 2, start pulling last spark that forms, kill to get some time when adds spawn...)

but we were falling short maybe 20-30 seconds each time, was difficult.

Maybe people just failing at phase 3 idk. 10 dps healing themselves (1123 rotation) or 1 healer 9 dps?

pretty tough but doable. I honestly think 5 minute one is loads easier jsut due to the fact that u can stack the group to accomplish the feat easily.
kensanity
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:39 am

Postby Nalyn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 am

Ewige wrote:Did they increase the range of the arcane explosion debuff? (the one that gets applied by the breath)

We had people who never had trouble before inexplicably exploded by the blast when they weren't close to the front.


Is this what has been insta'gibbing people? But it still doesn't fit with what we had happening. We had people dieing from 20k+ hits, that seemed to be from the arcane storm, but it was reporting as breath damage. On later attempts, they were standing WAY back from the dragon, for instance, I personally, on several of these attempts, was standing closer to Malygos than the people that got nuked. It eventually just got chalked up to the patch, and him being buggy, we had a couple other reports of weird issues with the encounter from a few other guilds.

On the plus side, we went back last night and killed his 25 man version for the first time, lag and all!
Nalyn
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:49 pm

Postby Cakes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Nalyn wrote:Is this what has been insta'gibbing people? But it still doesn't fit with what we had happening. We had people dieing from 20k+ hits, that seemed to be from the arcane storm, but it was reporting as breath damage. On later attempts, they were standing WAY back from the dragon, for instance, I personally, on several of these attempts, was standing closer to Malygos than the people that got nuked. It eventually just got chalked up to the patch, and him being buggy, we had a couple other reports of weird issues with the encounter from a few other guilds.

On the plus side, we went back last night and killed his 25 man version for the first time, lag and all!


See above. Pets are currently getting hit by breath coming out of vortexes, then exploding on the rest of the raid.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest