Remove Advertisements

[10] 4H - Zerg Thane Strat

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] 4H - Zerg Thane Strat

Postby avatar8481 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 am

I know there's a 25 man version of this, so consolidate if needed.

What would the dps from the thane group need to be to execute this strategy, assume you OT and have a healer on Baron and a healer and dps on the back two casters so you'd have a tank, 4 dps and a healer on Thane.

Is the magic number 10,000 dps? 15,000? 7,000? I assume it's driven in part by that groups healer's ability to overcome the effect of the stacking marks (i.e. better healing means you have longer and need less effective dps).

Thanks.

Postby majiben » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:29 am

If it's still progression for you a shaman for heroism/bloodlust is almost a requirement. We've let the stacks get as high as 5 on the burn thane method. Good AoE heals on the main group is a requirement as well. Judging light will help with the healing some too.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby avatar8481 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 am

How fast do marks stack? one every 15 second? one every 30?

Postby majiben » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:17 pm

15 seconds for the two front bosses sounds right. I believe the rate is slower on the rear bosses but my raid group has never had to pay a great deal of attention to this fight.
majiben

Postby Spectrum » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 pm

We've always burned Thane down and if we can do it before the sixth mark we're fine. We use heroism and as long as the DPS that's left (after two go to the back) are averaging about 1800 we survive (so with 4 DPS there we need a total of about 7200). I also DPS as hard as I can there too.

Our set up is elemental shaman in the back and then either another DPS hybrid who can heal themselves or our hunter who seems to be able to coordinate well with the shaman for heals.

In front we have our DK tank and a healer on Rivendare, then myself and another healer and all the DPS on Thane. At 5 marks we switch and I grab Baron and we just start swapping every 3 marks from there as DPS moves around and kills all the horsemen.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeels » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm

We only have 2 healers and use this strat:

2 Horse casters: 1 shadow priest (shadow form) + one resto druid
Thane: Prot Warrior and all the dps
Baron: Me healing myself

We usually get down thane within in 5 marks. It's easy enough for me to keep myself up, holy light + a mana pot if needed. I usually judge widom and use wisdom seal in the beginning.

Worst case you can shield wall and use loh.

Gl!
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Wolvar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:47 pm

We do it with 2 healers. A healer and ret pally in the back, I solo tank rivendare, one healer and 5 dps on Meteor dude. Works well, I rarely have to loh. I use blessing of light and judge light and bubblewall early. One or two self heals and they are done.
Wolvar

Postby knaughty » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 pm

How we do it:

Healer + 1 DPS on ranged side

Healer + tank on Rivendare. We do this so you don't end up with a solo person on That after rotating, as metoer hits one person pretty hard.

Me + 5 DPS and no healer on Thane.

Bloodlust on the pull. Pop wings. Blow Thane up. Usually dies before 4th mark.

One DPS goes ranged side to help rotate.

I run to Rivendare, Rivendare healer tops me off before he runs away, I solo tank Rivendare, DPS chew him up some. Rivendare tank starts rotating Rivendare / Ranged.

3 Rivendare marks, I go ranged, origin Riv tank comes back with his healer.

Ranged healer might drop a healer on me if needed, I tank ranged dudes.

If required, swap back to Riv, but usually he just dies at that point.

Then it's 10 people on two bosses, and trivial.

Emergency backup heals are my LoH and the Ret-pally's LoH. We would probably use one of those. I think for the progression 10-man kill with two healers we used both.

Strat requires great communication and adaptability, and people who can cope with "pack runs to rivendare, but my job is rotate ranged tanks".

The huge advantage is not requiring 3-4 healers at 4-h when we're using 2 for the rest of it.

Last week we did 8-man-2-healer for everything except 4-h, where we brought in 1.5 more healers (healer + hybrid) and did "down together".

Zerg Thane is substantially easier if you have a Ret paladin (20k free heal) and Bloodlust. These are non-issues for our guild.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby majiben » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 pm

BTW the dps at the back should be one of the following:

Know for sure:
Ret paladin
Warlock
Moonkin
Elemental shaman
Shadow priest

Might work
feral druid
blood DK
Unholy DK with anti magic talents and bone armor

An alternative method to sending a dps in back is to send one of your proper tanks in back and have a feral dps with some tank gear tank rivendale or thane.
majiben

Postby Wolvar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:43 pm

We dont' send anyone to the back, 2 hold it just fine till the front ones are dead.
Wolvar

Postby Mex » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I 2 healed this last week, and it was a lot of fun.

We had a holy priest + hunter up the back, a prot warrior + 2 DPS DKs, mage, warlock and rogue on Thane, and a DK tank on Baron. I was responsible for healing everyone up front.

I started by throwing Sacred Shield on both tanks, and beacon on Thane's tank during the pull, then judged light on Thane and ran over to the Baron's side (max range from the tank though). I healed there until the second mark hit me, left a gift of the naaru and refreshed sacred shield on the DK tank, who popped IBF as I ran over to Thane. There I refreshed JoL on Thane, threw several HLs onto the group (beacon was still on Thane's tank) until they were all topped off, then refreshed sacred shields as Rivendare's mark ran out. At this point I ran back to the DK tank who was in a bit of trouble (death strike wasn't quite enough to keep him up), and topped him up.

DPS killed Thane just before the 6th mark, and ran over to Rivendare. I topped them up on the way, put another Sacred Shield on the Thane tank as he taunted off the Baron tank (who was getting out of mark range asap before 7th mark owned him), threw a JoL on Baron, and ran out of range just before third mark hit. I ran back in to quickly top the Baron tank up again, then out before the next mark hit to let my stack refresh. Then I ran back in and healed until people had 5 marks, at which point the DK was back, and taunted off the prot warrior. I was only a 3 marks at this point, so I stayed and healed the DK tank as he and I polished off the last ~10% of Baron's health together.

Then it was simply a matter of joining the rest of the raid up the back, and making sure I was on the opposite side to the priest at all times.

It was quite fun, and more complex than it would have been if we had had a fully geared group with bloodlust, but with timing it wasn't that difficult keeping both sides alive up the front.
Mex

Postby majiben » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:51 am

Wolvar wrote:We dont' send anyone to the back, 2 hold it just fine till the front ones are dead.
Come again? You don't send anyone to the back yet you have 2 people back there?
majiben

Postby Wolvar » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:22 am

Knaughty wrote:How we do it:

Bloodlust on the pull. Pop wings. Blow Thane up. Usually dies before 4th mark.

One DPS goes ranged side to help rotate.
Wolvar

Postby Passionario » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:27 am

There is a non-zerg strat for Thane? :shock:

(All of our tanks are paladins, and we almost never have any taunt-capable DPSers present)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby avatar8481 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:36 pm

we've been running the first three wings of Naxx for a few weeks now on 10 and 25, so our dps are all north of 2k-2500. Sounds like we won't have any issue with the zerg thane on 10man strategy. Can't wait to try it.

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon