Remove Advertisements

[25] Sartharion +3. How to deal with the adds?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Siiri » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 am

Dem wrote:You can't avoid enraged adds all the time though. Sometimes they spawn right in front of a flame wall.

Something else I was wondering about. Add spawns are weird. Sometimes when the first drake comes in there are 5 up, sometimes none. I wonder whether it's completely random or if something affects it.

I've been trying to learn this fight aswell as a add tank.. And yes from what I've seen and heard it's totally random (0-5 it seems).. I hate when I get 5+5+Whelps.. :(
Siiri

Postby mconeone » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:53 am

Pro tip: take adds with a warrior who has vigilance on you or the MT. His taunt will always be up.
mconeone

Postby Tekkel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Has anyone had issues with the grid aggro alert and the blazes+whelps in this fight. I've done 25 man yesterday and 10 man today and somehow grid does not show anyone but tanks as having aggro. So I cannot see which healer to taunt mobs from and they tend to die now and then.

It works perfectly fine in any place but Obsidian Sanctum. Red dot in the corner shows who has aggro from any mob we're in combat with usually but here it just fails. I've had to resign to drake tanking and let a dk take over the adds because with whelps+blazes you have no overview of the room anymore and can't see if something is bashing a healer.
Tekkel

Postby Treck » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:53 am

Grid cant magicly know if whatever out there in the world is targetting you or anything in the raid.
How grid works is that it can see everything anyone in your party/raid is targetting/focused etc etc, and from there work out if anything is targetting anyone in the raid.
So in order for you to see who it is targetting someone must target it and see its target.
So if you target the add you should see that small red dot in grid pop up.
Treck

Postby inthedrops » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Treck wrote:Grid cant magicly know if whatever out there in the world is targetting you or anything in the raid.
How grid works is that it can see everything anyone in your party/raid is targetting/focused etc etc, and from there work out if anything is targetting anyone in the raid.
So in order for you to see who it is targetting someone must target it and see its target.
So if you target the add you should see that small red dot in grid pop up.

This is correct, and has been correct since I've been using Grid.

As for advice, I have become overly reliant on grid to know who has agro. But for this fight it's really better to use your eyes and see where the adds are going. Takes some getting used to. Click the add, see what it has targeted, then choose to taunt or not.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Tekkel » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 am

Hmm thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to get used to that for now then.
Probably doing it again later this week and will see how it works out :)
I at least saw some decent placement spots here that would probably make my life a bit easier as the raid wouldn't be all over the place.
Tekkel

Postby Grizwold » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 am

3 things about OS+3 (10 and 25).

1) Tanking the adds is by far the hardest thing to do. The drake tank / sarth tank sit and move a little, worry about cooldowns slightly, but mainly put threat on 1-2 targets. We have to worry about the random (which i get so mad about every night) fire adds, and then the whelps that like to fly away at full speed. The best 2 things i've found that make it alot easier are a) using a pally healer with RF up as well, and you sit near him consecrating, and b) have a hunter lay down a frost trap near the whelp portal to make sure they get hit with at least 1 or 2 ticks of consecrate. This really helps manage the adds and lets you worry much more on positioning (moving out of voids/tsunami's), and less on picking up 15 fire adds. Don't get me wrong, the RNG in the fight is stupid and every now and then ill run and pick up 10ish elementals that all spawned in a 5-10 second window, but it helps when most are slowed or heading to a single pally healer.

2) Spell damage is a huge help in this fight. Pop on a forethought talisman and a healing weapon if you can. I hit ~1200-1300 spell damage in the 10 man, 1500ish in the 25man. the added 500+ spell damage means your consecrates tick for 60ish more per tick which is 114 or so TPS increase which REALLY helps grab initial aggro on the adds.

3) Toggle nameplates throughout the fight. Start with them on, it makes picking up the infernals ALOT easier. However when you start to get overrun towards when tenebron starts his eggs, turn them off for a bit while the whelps are up so you can see everything else. I was getting hit by voids zones occasionally because i couldnt see them with the 12+ nameplates. I turned then off and it was SO much easier to see and move around. After the whelp phase is over though, turn them back on because again, it helps with the infernals when you only have 1 or 2.

Good luck in your OS+3 10/25man attempts. After you get it, the 25 man isnt too bad, the 10 man remains stupidly hard depending on setup. We were successful with 3heal(Priest/Shaman/Druid) 3Tank(Druid/Warrior/Paladin) 4Dps(Hunter/Hunter/Ret/Boomkin) which to say the least was HARD. In our 25man I was the only flame/whelp tank, which was annoying at times, but its manageable after a bit of practice.
Grizwold

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Siiri wrote:
Dem wrote:You can't avoid enraged adds all the time though. Sometimes they spawn right in front of a flame wall.

Something else I was wondering about. Add spawns are weird. Sometimes when the first drake comes in there are 5 up, sometimes none. I wonder whether it's completely random or if something affects it.

I've been trying to learn this fight aswell as a add tank.. And yes from what I've seen and heard it's totally random (0-5 it seems).. I hate when I get 5+5+Whelps.. :(

I was under the impression that the flame adds were spawned when someone took a hit of fire damage, e.g. meteors. Is that wrong?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby kram » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:I was under the impression that the flame adds were spawned when someone took a hit of fire damage, e.g. meteors. Is that wrong?

guilds have tested stacking up and getting hit by lava strikes to see if resulted in more adds and there wasnt any change. Unless someone has made some recent discovery fire adds are spawned at random.
kram

Postby Ewige » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm

The adds spawn from the raining lava things, but not always, hit or no hit.
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
Ewige

Postby Aleph » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 am

Ewige wrote:The adds spawn from the raining lava things, but not always, hit or no hit.

Confirm. I've seen people get hit and not spawn adds, I've seen them hit the ground with nobody nearby and spawn an add.
Aleph

Postby Candiru » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:06 am

I think there are 2 types of fire bomb, the one which does damage and the one which spawns adds. Or possibly its just a % chance on landing.
Candiru

Postby Ranluka » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Q: Do you have the DPS turn and kill teh adds periodically or do you tank them all untill the first drake is dead. My RLs seam under the impression that the 1st drake needs to die pronto.... to the explusion of helping me with adds.
Ranluka

Postby Cakes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Ranluka wrote:Q: Do you have the DPS turn and kill teh adds periodically or do you tank them all untill the first drake is dead. My RLs seam under the impression that the 1st drake needs to die pronto.... to the explusion of helping me with adds.

AoE down the adds after the first drake is down. You don't want to see any more than one wave of whelps.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes

Postby Nalyn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:06 am

Ranluka wrote:Q: Do you have the DPS turn and kill teh adds periodically or do you tank them all untill the first drake is dead. My RLs seam under the impression that the 1st drake needs to die pronto.... to the explusion of helping me with adds.

Yup, all dps on the drake, until it goes down, the ae adds quickly, mainly to just get rid of all the whelps, then on to sarth, or the next drake, depending on just how many drakes you're doing the encounter with.

Block value, and rating, owns as the add tank in this encounter, if you can get block capped, you'll take little to no damage from the adds, as long as you can keep them all in front of you. I know we had a couple questions and issues with the adds the first 2 or 3 times in this encounter, now we just let them build up on the tank, and take most of them out after each drake dies, if we're down to just Sarth, just tank the adds, and slowly back in a circle, so they stay in your frontal arc.
Nalyn

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon