Attempting skeram (breakdown and analysis)

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Attempting skeram (breakdown and analysis)

Postby bockhorn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:04 am

So I got this idea of killing skeram since I know there are other bosses in aq40 which we can solo, and I want to find out whether or not skeram is soloable to reach further in.

EDIT:

Update: Attempting to do him without nature ress first. Apparently his earth shocks are only casted when he isnt in melee range. This is not true for clones though so I wiped because they kept spamming me.

Going to try now to "pull" the clones one by one, see if I¨'m more successful

EDIT 2: Learning how to pull clones seperately is hard, but I managed. However, another problem I met was that I didnt kill the clones fast enough. when I had pulled one of the clones and gotten him down to 1k hp he blinked his third time and brought the other clone with him. Anytime the clone blinks, you might be unlucky and have it blink to the second clone, bringing that clone as well when it returns to you, then you are toast. AFAIK, this is something the boss might do as well.

So the problem now is that I need either more dps or some sort of surviability against the earth shock spamming clones.

so I guess its either speccing retri or bringing nature ress gear.

brb crafting...
bockhorn

Postby Sarutankah » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:38 am

I was keen on trying this as holy today... brb in like 3 hours :(
Sarutankah

Postby Krazy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:32 pm

I tried it...even with 422NR (no buffs...I built a NR set for my solo attempts on Lethon) you still take a ton of damage during the splits. I honestly do not think its possible.

The fix today to the double ShoR bug will most certainly not help, as getting the adds down as quickly as possible will be most certainly key.
Krazy

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:54 pm

I tried this recently and the only "trick" I was able to find is that the clones don't necessarily aggro if you're not close to them. If you clear all the trash and as soon as the boss hits 75%, run down the stairs and away, only the boss will come running after you. You do take extra earth shocks from being away from him, but you don't take them from the adds, and they stop once he reaches you (obviously). The questions are:

If he blinks away, will it aggro the clones?
If everything else worked out, when he hit 50%, would the addition of two more clones cause problems? Or would they also not aggro?
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby MonkH » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:10 pm

on the trash b4 boss the packs of 4 adds with the sharing buffs how do u kill the adds which have heailng buff cant seem to do anythink to one with healing buff solo?
Daeden Prot Pala of EU-Frostmane.

Classes also played:
Druid, Warlock, Priest, Warrior, and now Paladin
MonkH

Postby Tropicana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:45 pm

MonkH wrote:on the trash b4 boss the packs of 4 adds with the sharing buffs how do u kill the adds which have heailng buff cant seem to do anythink to one with healing buff solo?

afaik the ones with rejuvination buff cannot be killed solo. Reset the group if you encounter one, the buffs will change each time you reset them.
Tropicana

Postby Lumenactio » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:02 am

Anyone actually get him down yet solo? It might be easier solo than with a small group. He chews you up in a small group.
Lumenactio

Postby dkunholytank » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:14 am

Solo'd as a dk, easy once you get a good rotation going, alos theres a movie on warcraftmovies.
80 Deathknight Unholy Tank
Nagrand EU
30.3k health, 26k Armour
562 defense, 19% parry, 22%dodge
dkunholytank

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:58 am

MonkH wrote:on the trash b4 boss the packs of 4 adds with the sharing buffs how do u kill the adds which have heailng buff cant seem to do anythink to one with healing buff solo?

There is a spot on the wall between the left and right doors in the main hall where you can evade bug the mobs. Evading causes them to lose their buffs, which they will not regain.

I did it by accident once... not sure how repeatable it is, but I'm willing to bet that it would work again.
Belloc

solo skeram

Postby Herbdean » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:46 pm

This is from a feral druid perspective but hopefully at least the general strategy will apply.

Gearwise i use a mix of DPS gear and 175NR (with MotW). Somewhere around this number is the NR sweet spot, it cuts the damage approximately in half but you dont have to severely gimp your dps. I found if i tried stacking more than that my damage in/out ratio suffered and I had a harder time getting clones down before dying.

As you have already seen, it's possible to split the clones due to their small agro radius. I do the entire fight on the middle platform. 1% before each split i move back a little so my back is up against the wall immediately behind his spawn point. There is no need to run out to the courtyard or run up the stairs, this spot is far enough from each side to gaurantee that any side platform clones wont agro.

When the split happens theres 2 possibilities,

1) The real Skeram is on a side platform: This means you have a clone directly on front of you. Just engage the clone and let the real Skeram come to you. Once clone is dead heal and then engage the other clone.

2) The real Skeram is right on front of you: Engage the real Skeram to stop earthshocks. Neither clone on either side will agro you but one clone will begin to walk over to the other clone. Intercept this clone before he passes through the middle and take him down. Heal up and then take down the other clone.

This ensures that you never have more than 1 mob earthshocking you at any given time making the fight managable. It is important to kill the first clone fast because the idle clone will regenerate health while idle.

Finally, although the clone's % of health drops 25% each time, their hitpoints actually go up. On the 3rd split I only kill 1 clone (or no clones if Skeram is in the middle) and finish him off. He'l usually end up teleporting and agroing the clones but by then he's almost dead.

Good luck with this. I know druids and paladins have very different mechanics but from what I have read it seems you guys are a little better equipped for soloing. I've always been jealous of paladin soloers for the simple fact that you can heal yourself in your shiny plate armor, but druids have to leave the safety of their bear form in order to heal :cry:
Herbdean

Postby Pelana » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:58 pm

I actually managed to kill Skeram solo today. I had 240 Nature Resist from a couple 70+ greens, a flask of Chromatic Wonder, the +8 resist food and a imp MotW from a friendly druid (decide for yourself if using another class's buff is "cheating" in a solo run :D)

I did pretty much what everyone else has been saying: tank Skeram in the back of the center platform and when he splits one or neither of the clones will aggro depending on where the real one is. For the splits I kept up JoL and SoL, as well as divine protection and sacred shield, and then dpsed the clone asap. When it died, I attacked Skeram until I was topped off then pulled the second clone. If Skeram teleports to where the non-aggroed clone is, he WILL pull him but it's not always certain death if you've got CDs up and the first one is close to death already.

Make sure that you are attacking the clone though! I dpsed Skeram for a long time after the third split and didn't notice until he teleported and pulled the second clone. Even taking both clones at once I managed to barely kill him after a LoH.

I know DKs and druids have killed him before. Any other pallies yet?
Pelana

Postby Rehlachs- » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:28 am

tried it once until now. LoS tactics won't work, since his shocks don't require LoS and have infinite range. He will Shock almost every cast, making active self heal almost impossible.
fortunately, using SoL/JoL are enough to keep you alive through the tank'n'spank parts, including occasionally blinks+shocks.

as said before, there are 3 critical moments here, namely the 3 splits. The copies have hardly any hp (30k each?), so you should be able to kill at least of them until your Divine Shield wears off. Sacred Shield should help an the second copy.. my approach was to wait after each split for DS to get ready gain - I wasn't able to advance through the second split, since the WL I used to get a raid group was bored and decided to leave >.<
But I guess since some other paladins got the same idea I will try again this weekend.

On second thought .. you should be able to use DS on the first split, LoH on the second, DS on the third split, again. I aggroed both copies after each split, since I stood in the middle of the center platform (in front of Skeram) - therefore the splits should be easier when you use the placements Pelana described.
Rehlachs-

Postby Tropicana » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Heading out there right now to try this again. Haven't tried in a few weeks, last try I got to 2nd split twice, but got both adds and died. Then had respawns. 276 nature resist, green ring, AQ chain neck, 3 piece wildguard, and flask.

attempt 1: 93k HP, 3rd split, I was right in the middle against the wall, got both adds anyway. Really hate this boss. Was perfectly smooth til then, didn't use LoH or DS.

attempt 2: 2nd split, both adds, dead. Oh yay, respawns!

attempt 3: Down, went smooth until split 3, then got both adds again, not at the same time, but within 30 seconds into the split. Had to LoH, but not DS.

First 2 attempts I used ret gear with the nature resist, as suggested in a different thread, 3rd attempt I used prot with nature, went a lot slower, but I guess it made the difference, or it could have been luck.

Tropicana

Postby Rehlachs- » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:00 am

stupid CeBit.. foiling my plans to solo the old content. wtb closing time.

any other successful solo attempts, yet?
Rehlachs-

Postby Tropicana » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:33 pm

Killed again today, same gear, very easy, LoH on 3rd split when 2nd add came while 1st was still up. Just wish Huhu was solo'able, still need T2.5 boots.
Tropicana

Next

Return to General Strats