Remove Advertisements

[H] Violet Hold Boss Guide

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby kenshin648 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 am

firefaxor wrote:OK does anyone know the exact mechanics\abilities of Moragg?

Have run VH heroic 3 or 4 times preivously with no issue (mainly with guildys) - last night ran it with a pug and had major issues, in fact we gave up after 4 attempts on this guy. The pally healer insisted that we stop all DPS when Moragg linked to one of us, however we never got him to 50% health before we all died.

On previous runs I just tanked and spanked and burned him down pretty - admittedly one DPS always died but as far as I'm concerned thats acceptable if the boss goes down quickly :D

Last night when he did the link we would all stop DPS, then the hunter would die, then the lock, then me or the fury warrior and lastly the pally healer.

I did say that I wanted to try just burning him down but this healer just wouldnt have it and refused and said we all needed to stop dps while a player was linked......anyone shed any info on this?

That healer must not have known what he was doing then. All they need to do is just heal the person being optic linked. I havnt read anything that suggests that the ability's damage is based on the dps happening to the boss. As far as I know, the only boss in that instance that you need to stop dpsing due to a spell cast by it is the void boss. But only because that will put a debuff on anyone hitting it that reduces healing.
Give me blood
kenshin648

Re: [H] Violet Hold Boss Guide

Postby Aeran » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Xevozz the Ethereal Dude
pull him into the pool in front of Ichoron's Door. tank him inthe middle of the pool and pull him to land at 5% or 10% if your DPS is really good

tested this, it works, I was floored
Aeran

Postby Archimeades » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:30 am

I'm having a lot of trouble with the voidwalker boss. Couple questions.

1. Do DoT's proc the healing debuff? I'm thinking I need to stop using SoV.
2. What do you do when the healer is the one who can kill the adds?
Archimeades

Postby Discus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 am

Ditto above - except pretty much all bosses. Last night our guild tried and failed heroic VH yet again... usual pattern is we wipe a couple of times (usually near end) and then people start to fall out and lay blame, then we give up.

Every other heroic is a walk in the park for our guild now... this place is just tearing us apart. I'm going to quit dragging the guildies in here for the legs and just hope that future patches allow another option (other than relying on naxx drops) for epic tanking legs.
Discus

Postby daemonym » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 am

Archimeades wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble with the voidwalker boss. Couple questions.

1. Do DoT's proc the healing debuff? I'm thinking I need to stop using SoV.
2. What do you do when the healer is the one who can kill the adds?

1. no they do not, only "direct" damage will, such as melee, hotr, etc. also, either i'm lucky, blind or it's buged, but consecrate does not effect it either.

2. pray they're good.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Shroomous » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:56 am

daemonym wrote:for the voidwalker, don't forget about his buff that he uses that causes you to get stacking -20% heals when you touch him. it has a cast time so you can get a 1.5 second warning out when you see it coming.

I think this is what is wiping groups on this boss way more than the adds.
Shroomous
80 Draenei Protection Paladin
Proudmoore
Shroomous

Postby kaanman36 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:52 am

Shroomous wrote:I think this is what is wiping groups on this boss way more than the adds.

Agree. I know this is the case with my tries on this boss.
Staring at boss crotch since 2005.
Gathorc - 85 Paladin
Eitrigg US

Read my blog http://bigshinyshield.blogspot.com...or don't.
kaanman36

Postby Auroris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:15 pm

I remember my first Xevozz encounter on my pally, I was so fucking clueless. I'd kite him and then we'd all get summoned to a port thing and go BOOM! wipe!

Now... its lulz...tank him on the stairs, and don't move. He dies before his 'Summon' even goes off.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby Ceridwena » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Exolaeth wrote:I remember my first Xevozz encounter on my pally, I was so fucking clueless. I'd kite him and then we'd all get summoned to a port thing and go BOOM! wipe!

This is quite exactly what happened to me yesterday when I encountered him for the first time. :(

I'm still not sure I understand exactly the tactic. If the Orbs' teleport requires LOS... don't they Have LOS after they come up the stairs or are you able to kite them fast enough to go around the corner of the opposite end of the bridge/stairs before they make it to the top? We wiped three times before giving up last night. I tanked him where he spawns, kited him ACROSS the room and up the stairs and bridge of the opposite side, but before I even got to the bridge we'd get teleported and 'asploded. Pretty much infuriating. It didn't help that the healer was never in the right place. He was either out of LOS or following me and hardly able to keep up between casting.
Tankadin, Destro Lock, and now a Tree with 100% more HoTs.
Ceridwena

Postby zhiel » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:31 pm

I did say that I wanted to try just burning him down but this healer just wouldnt have it and refused and said we all needed to stop dps while a player was linked......anyone shed any info on this?

Optic Link is just a damage focus and needs to be healed through. Deals damage every second. Starts at 500 and increases over the duration, lasting for 12 seconds (I think the final tick is 5k but I don't remember for certain).

There is absolutely no reason to stop DPS during Optic Link unless your healer wants make it take 12*n seconds longer to kill the boss (where n equals the number of links in your attempt).

If people die during the Moragg fight you need to do two things:
1) Let your healer know that Optic Link target is heal priority
2) Let everyone know they should help out when they get link by using a pot/healthstone/dmg reduction ability when focused (warriors get out of zerker, etc).

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=54396
zhiel

Postby DanimalEQ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 pm

zhiel wrote:

Optic Link is just a damage focus and needs to be healed through. Deals damage every second. Starts at 500 and increases over the duration, lasting for 12 seconds (I think the final tick is 5k but I don't remember for certain).

There is absolutely no reason to stop DPS during Optic Link unless your healer wants make it take 12*n seconds longer to kill the boss (where n equals the number of links in your attempt).

If people die during the Moragg fight you need to do two things:
1) Let your healer know that Optic Link target is heal priority
2) Let everyone know they should help out when they get link by using a pot/healthstone/dmg reduction ability when focused (warriors get out of zerker, etc).

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=54396

Another thing to note. If your healer really is struggling on this one, and you have a hefty threat lead, the Optic Link ability is channeled by the boss. Thus, you can always throw out a heal as well if need be.

I also make sure to put Sacred Shield up on whoever the optic link target is.

Then again, I also roll with under geared healers and mostly under geared DPS, so YMMV.
DanimalEQ

Re: [H] Violet Hold Boss Guide

Postby Mozen » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Elsie wrote:Lavanthor the Molten Core's Lost Dog
Anyone within melee range must be aware of the frontal flame breathe attack that leaves a patch of fire on the ground. The tank must rotate this boss to avoid standing in the patch, and for this reason all of the party members should stay on one side of him to give the tank the other side as movement requires.

Does he really leave a patch of fire on the ground? I finally got to meet this doggy yesterday, after more than a week of running [H]VH every day, and I couldn't find that patch of fire. I was expecting something like a lane of fire that extends for some distance, but I couldn't find it, and I wasn't taking any meaningful damage, either.

Though I was with a druid whom I know always hots me up and unless there are spikes I'm virtually always at full health throughout whole instance runs.

EDIT: He does...I finally found it. It's right underneath his front legs. :roll:
Last edited by Mozen on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozen

Postby Mozen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:41 am

daemonym wrote:for the voidwalker, don't forget about his buff that he uses that causes you to get stacking -20% heals when you touch him. it has a cast time so you can get a 1.5 second warning out when you see it coming.

On my server everyone thinks of this as a DPS race before healer gets overwhelmed by the sentry AOE. But in fact it's all just due to this debuff. Even a lot of healers simply don't know about this debuff.

From wowhead.com, after the boss casts this,

Mage - spell steal
Warlock - have felpuppy out beforehand and auto-devour; best solution IMO
Prot war - shield bash it off
Hunter - tranq shot
Shaman - purify

Have your dps or tank get rid of this buff on the boss, and all will be well.

This boss is one of the best examples of a simple mechanic that's gone unnoticed by most people, turning it into one of the hardest bosses for the average casual player.

As for me...I spend half my combat time cleansing whenever I see this boss. *sigh*

/cancelaura Snake Wrap is another. :lol:
Mozen

Previous

Return to General Strats