Remove Advertisements

Using Lightwell for some bossfights. Was:A stick in his arse

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Using Lightwell for some bossfights. Was:A stick in his arse

Postby yappo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 am

There are a number of bosses (only talking 5-mans here) who intermittently dumps a huge AOE-damage. Most advice here is "don't stand in the shit", but sometimes (Loken comes to mind) that isn't always that easy to implement.

Now, we're having a priest who just happens to like Lightwell, and my question is if it would be pure insanity to use a "tactics" based on everyone more or less standing inside the boss with a stick, well, *cough*, shoved up ... and just take the punishment.

The basic premise is that as long as the AOE-burst doesn't outright kill people then healer+DPS could click the lightwell and then the healer could concentrate on boosting up the tank to full health until next burst.

Am I on to something or am I just plain insane?

[2009-01-20: Editing thread-title to make it more informative]
Last edited by yappo on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
yappo

Postby Arca » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 am

Should be in the 5man/heroics forum, but to answer your question..

I think you'd be intentionally taking more damage than lightwell can heal. The entire party taking a nova to the face followed by arc jumps would wipe you out pretty quick.

IF your healer DOES insist to make use of lightwell, maybe you can use a setup like this:
Code: Select all
     /
     :
    L:
    X:       o Loken
     :
     :
     \

This Would have the 'X' being your group piled just past the edge of the nova, 'L' is the lightwell. You are the 'o' and Loken is...well.. Loken.

Basicly you would eat the nova yourself and the dps could eat lightwell charges and maybe a PoM while you dps the boss full-on w/o having to move.

I use a similar tactic with a holy paladin healing with a glyphed holy light + beacon, he spends the whole fight rotating holy light on party members and never has to touch me due to beacon heals.

OR your party could just learn to move =P
Arca

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:32 am

You can heal through Loken's damage (6-7k on normal, 10-12k on heroic), assuming your party is geared enough. It's not optimal, but it could work. Theoretically the increased DPS from not having to move at all would make the encounter end before your healer went oom.

Moral of the story: you can take as much damage as you want, if your healer can heal through it. Might not be optimal, but a kill is a kill.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 am

If your group has enough health to survive the nova, then by all means stay in. Lightwell or circle of healing will get everyone back up in no time and you will get the boss down much faster.
Belloc

Postby yappo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks for the answers and sorry for placing my question in the wrong place to begin with. As I couldn't fixate my question to one specific instance (albeit my Loken-example belongs to one instance) I dumped it into general.
yappo

Postby theshard » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 pm

The healer I usually run with tells me to take the hit but makes everyone else run.
theshard

Postby Wolvar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Won't lightwell break due to the constant damage based on proximity to Loken? Or did they fix that broken crap?
Wolvar

Re: A stick in his arse

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:27 am

yappo wrote:There are a number of bosses (only talking 5-mans here) who intermittently dumps a huge AOE-damage. Most advice here is "don't stand in the shit", but sometimes (Loken comes to mind) that isn't always that easy to implement.

Now, we're having a priest who just happens to like Lightwell, and my question is if it would be pure insanity to use a "tactics" based on everyone more or less standing inside the boss with a stick, well, *cough*, shoved up ... and just take the punishment.

The basic premise is that as long as the AOE-burst doesn't outright kill people then healer+DPS could click the lightwell and then the healer could concentrate on boosting up the tank to full health until next burst.

Am I on to something or am I just plain insane?
The whole "eat novas, screw his aura" idea is perfectly fine, it just depends on healer output. I don't know how lightwell sustains it's case in Loken's case though.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 am

Lightwell's healing can likely sustain the mild aoe's damage but not the blast due to it's cancelation given sufficient damage. If you clicked it right after a blast it might help.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Neroth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 am

Most of our group has pretty good gear (Mostly Naxx 10) and we just stack the box on Loken. No one runs and everyone just does an all out dps burn.

We've dropped him the last couple of times inside the achievement timer with no deaths.
Neroth

Postby yappo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Verified on normal difficulty. 4 80s and one 77.

Healer and all dps click after blast and then healer can concentrate on me (tank). Rinse and repeat. Considering that this boss has been a major PITA for our very small guild earlier the feeling of "what, does he have a special attack?" was a marked difference.

It should be noted that resurrection was used liberally earlier in the instance, so we're not really getting THAT much more skilled or better geared, but Loken became a joke.

And yes, he went down a LOT faster as we could continue pumping in damage all through the encounter.

Remains to test this on heroic :D
yappo

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm sick and tired of the terrible DPS that just stands there and takes the nova while they look for their turning keys.

I'd look forward to having a group with enough health to just stand in the nova. The rest of his damage is pretty paltry in comparison.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby yappo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Spectrum wrote:I'm sick and tired of the terrible DPS that just stands there and takes the nova while they look for their turning keys.

I'd look forward to having a group with enough health to just stand in the nova. The rest of his damage is pretty paltry in comparison.

It's exactly what the stick provides (normal difficulty). If the blast doesn't outright kill them they'll regain all damage lost in six (I believe) seconds. This meant we could tell the dps they were responsible for their own heals, and healer could pump me with long-cast-time big heals.

Now I'm entirely clueless if the stick scales with gear, and if it does, if it scales as much as the blast-damage.

Instead of tactics being: When this happens you have to time running to there and time running back to target, and etc, tactics became tank and spank. If you hurt like hell click on the goodie and continue spanking.
Best of all: no running healer who needs to time healing me into the running sequence.
yappo

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Tell your priest to put the talent point into something useful.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Kellel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:39 pm

I ran HoL heroic for the first time last night. I was in the middle of explaining the loken fight to a couple of our new dps ... our resto druid tells me .. "dude, look at your gear, just stay put we'll heal through it".

He just made the mage blink out then back in .... the other two ret pallies stayed put as well.

It was a LoL fest :D got the achievement and i don't think my health was ever below 75% :D.
Kellel
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General Strats