Remove Advertisements

[10]Sapphiron - frost resist

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby kdude27 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:15 am

Just killed him tonite....didnt find it very easy at all.

At first we tried with minimal amounts of frost resist gear (I use none as the MT). We wiped at least 10 times in a row, then the raid tried gearing with more frost resist....most of them had over 400 with aura..and we also brought in a 4th healer. Were able to kill him the very next attempt.

I definately see how it can be done without frost resist....since alot of dmg was done to us by blizzards....but having the frost resist allowed much more room for error.....1 of the healers died early so we basically had 3 for the fight.

This fight is well suited for pally tank...these are my tips
1. Judge and seal light
2. Have healers focus more on raid members instead of you just before flight phases, I was able to heal myself during that stage and top myself off before he landed, heal others when u hide behind ice blocks
3. Save ur lay on hands...i ended up using on a healer near the end
4. Stress to everyone this is survival fight and not dps race....avoiding unecessarry dmg is the priority

As said before avoiding blizzard (and cleave) and decursing are the key to fight...but until your raid masters that use the frost resist gear and have at least 3 good healers.
kdude27

Postby amh » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:50 am

kdude27 wrote:since alot of dmg was done to us by blizzards....

This is your problem, nothing else (unless you forgot to bring a single druid/shaman/coh-priest).

Using SoL instead of SoV/C might be all right now with JoL still doing stupid threat, but post-patch you probably want to swap back.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:19 pm

amh wrote:Using SoL instead of SoV/C might be all right now with JoL still doing stupid threat, but post-patch you probably want to swap back.

Paladin threat even without JoL is awesome right now. We did 25-man Naxx on Sunday and the MT Tankadin was using JoW the entire time, and doing absolutely fabulous threat. Pretty sure he was using SoV as his seal.

QUESTION for everyone: Do you put all your people on one side of Sapphiron, or do you use the "split the raid in two" method?

I've heard someone suggest splitting the raid in order to make sure that half the raid is always out of the blizzard.
Fedaykin98

Postby Bettiepage » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:08 pm

I was wondering if I should make the Frost Resist chest peice now and save the headache when we finally get to him, but then I dont want to waste the mats for it and be disapointed when something better has a chance to drop or you can buy it through badge/ rep when the patch comes out.
I am the arm of the Light in battle. I know my path, can you say the same?
Bettiepage

Postby Non » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:
amh wrote:Using SoL instead of SoV/C might be all right now with JoL still doing stupid threat, but post-patch you probably want to swap back.

Paladin threat even without JoL is awesome right now. We did 25-man Naxx on Sunday and the MT Tankadin was using JoW the entire time, and doing absolutely fabulous threat. Pretty sure he was using SoV as his seal.

QUESTION for everyone: Do you put all your people on one side of Sapphiron, or do you use the "split the raid in two" method?

I've heard someone suggest splitting the raid in order to make sure that half the raid is always out of the blizzard.

We never split the raid. And if you see a BLizzard moving towards you MOVE! 10-15 yards is all you need. Or do what I do when I am healing with my druid. If I see people get hit more than 3-4 times by firewalls,voidzones and blizzards and they never try to get away. Then I let them die! Better to save my mana and let the fight last longer than waste it on someone because they cba to move.

If you stand in a blizzard will buff your class
Non

Postby majiben » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:29 am

You had major healing issues if it took 4 healers and your dps in 400 frost resist gear. We too him down with only an aura 3 healers 2 dps and a tank. Something is up with your people.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby mclem » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:27 am

A little bit of gear goes a long way.

I'd heard early on that it was quite reasonable to get The Hundred Club, so on our first visit to Sapph-10 - when we weren't really prepared with frost res gear - I suggested we try with just the aura and see how that went. I'm told that healing was just plain too hard there. If I recall correctly, we had two and a half healers at the time (A druid had specced resto for Four Horsemen earlier but was more usually balance).

When we'd got FR gear ready we went back with 3 full healers and downed him fairly trivially (once we'd handled positioning issues)

Yesterday we came in with two healers and downed him with nothing but Mark of the Wild, getting our achievement.

We may possibly have been overgeared for the achievement this time compared to how those people who got The Hundred Club early did so - I'd not really checked anyone's gear other than my own at that point - but it was a marked improvement. Alternatively, it may simply have been experience at avoiding the Chill and ducking behind the iceblocks.
mclem

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 am

Some things you need to be doing:

Judgment of light: This is a huge amount of "free" healing. The load this takes off your healers is insane.

Moving out of Blizzards: How much DPS are you going to do if you're dead? How much DPS are you going to do when your healers are out of mana from healing idiots?

Gearing up: If your DPS and healers are coming to Naxxramas without, at the very least, level 80 instance gear (level 78 gear, technically) and as much crafted gear as they can afford, they are failing. If they are coming to Naxx without having done a few heroics, they are failing. There is so much gear in the instances that there's no excuse for entering Naxxramas at this point in the game without a few epics and a bunch of heroic blues.

Learn to play: If a DPS has reached an adequate gear level (level 80 instance blues with some heroic gear), they should be able to put out, at a minimum, 2200 dps in Naxx. In all honesty, they can probably put out 2500 with pre-naxx gear. If they're not putting out more than 2k DPS, they're not trying. Tell them to read their class threads at Elitist Jerks for 3 minutes. Healer performance is harder to judge, but they should read their threads as well.

Deaths to the frost breath are too obvious to even mention. If you're having problems with Sapphiron, these are the most likely issues. Gear up, stay out of blizzards, judge light, and learn how to play your class.
Belloc

Postby Bereid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 pm

How many of you guys do this in 10 man with just 2 healers? We downed him last week with 3 without any major issues was just a huge healing issue. I am one of our 3 healers and i think if all 3 of us weren't at the gear level we're at it'd be impossible. We have too many ppl getting caught by blizzards, not staying 10+ yards away for frost breaths and other random stuff causing the healers to be busting their ass =/ If ppl are avoiding bliizzards and not getting AoE dmg from the frost breath then the only dmg they should be taking is from the Frozen Aura correct?
Bereid

Postby Mex » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 pm

I've 2-healed this several times. With my PvP spec and current gear I can go for about 4 minutes before I'm oom, that's without replenishment though.

That's usually enough time for our DPS to get him down, although last week we had a few too many alts and ended up having to sub mains in to kill him.

2 healers can easily output enough to keep the raid alive, but it comes at the cost of efficiency, they have to spam hard. If your DPS is good and tanks are geared, 2 healers is plenty for all 10 man content, in fact.
Mex

Postby gwayne » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:44 am

I've 2 man healed it on my shaman with a holy priest before but we normally run with 3 healers just because we have them and they like to raid.

We've never had anyone in frost res gear; at the start an aura with 3 healers is plenty in my experience. Good luck!
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Bereid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm

yea we downed him the week before last with 3 healers but the fight took almost 13 minutes due to losing 2 dps at different times. They attempted it last night w/o me healing and the lowest they got on 5 attempts was 35%. They didn't have a pally for FR aura but the DPS were in FR gear but i guess my guild just needs 3 healers till they learn how to stay alive =/
Bereid

Postby Threatco » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:50 pm

This fight has been very easy in 10 and 25 with my guild. But When I have healed it in a pug. ZOMG /wrists

At first, even with 3 healers, everyone just basicly died outright form blizz-tardedness. Then after a few attempts they were only semi blizz-retarted and chose instead to run to opposite ends of the room to dps (out of heal range).

This is a very healer intensive fight for a group that may have just zerged through the last 4 quarters on gear alone.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby ChrisTOTG » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:26 pm

What about gear for the tank?

How does it compare to Sartharion? There, we have standard dragon attacks plus a flame wave. We stick with fire resist aura and totem to cover the whole raid. I wouldn't be swapping regular tanking gear for resist gear there, but I haven't quite (11/15) seen the end of Naxx yet.
ChrisTOTG

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon