[25] OS+2, Shardon dead. Tips?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] OS+2, Shardon dead. Tips?

Postby knaughty » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Planning to try Sarth +1 or 2 this weekend. Someone want to give some tips on what to do and how the fight goes?
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Splug » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:51 am

We just finished the fight with Tenebron/Vesperon up last night. Next week we'll be working on all three.

The big thing that everyone needs to understand is that void zones will one-shot them until Tenebron is dead. The fire walls are not lethal, but it requires some quick healing to survive. Everyone needs to avoid those as much as possible; it's good practice for the three-drake run where they are lethal if nothing else.

You'll want 3.5 tanks for the fight. A drake tank, an elemental/whelp tank, a dragon tank, and a portal-disciple part-time-dps-tank. The dragon tank just parks Sartharion, and plays with him in the corner. The standard "no drake" position works fine. The portal guy wears dps gear and only has to tank the disciple for a couple seconds.

About 15-20 seconds into the fight, Sartharian will call Tenebron into the battle. Tenebron always lands in exactly the same place - directly behind Sartharian's normal spawn point. He is tauntable, and has all the abilities he normally has when fought alone. Roughly 15 seconds after landing, Tenebron will open a portal and begin to hatch eggs. Shortly after he will run around like an idiot for about 5-10 seconds (think Ebonroc pre-fix). Maybe 30-40 seconds later, he'll open another portal and hatch more whelps. Your goal is to have him dead before he finishes the cast to hatch the second set of whelps. We focus-fired Tenebron and cleaned up the pile of adds after he was dead.

At about the minute mark (very similar timing to when Tenebron's second hatch comes up), Vesperon will join the fight. About 5-10 seconds after landing, he will open a portal and spawn a disciple. Everyone needs to dive through the portal - the damage to your AE tank will skyrocket during this time if they use DoT's or ground-based AE to pick things up. Burn the add, then get back to Vesperon.

Once both drakes are dead, the fight is just normal Sartharion, just with more melee damage. It's really trivial at that point.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Tieran » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:51 am

I assume you will be AE tanking Knaughty?

Here is what we found most useful:

- Have a paladin pop RF and Beacon the Add tank / the drake tank. Stand on him and consecrate / spam taunt off him.

- Be aware that getting in a safe place EARLY from the fire wall really does make things easier as an add tank. Non enraged Blazes are a breeze to tank- let half of them enrage and your just giving your healers extra work (plus they get all big and its harder to spot the new ones : /)

- When Tenebron uses his portal the whelps spawn basically in front of it - picking these up and controlling them quickly makes that period of the fight a lot less stressful.

- It should go without saying but tell DPS to use single target attacks only - a few of them picking up adds can cause havoc and make your life hard :P

Other than that the fight is as normal with adds:

Pull the boss
DPS boss
All DPS switch to Tenebron - Drop BL
Ignore portal
Dps Tenebron
Kill Tenebron - switch to adds while waiting for Vesperon
Kill vesperon taking portals whenever they come..

Once vesperon is dead you can have a joke with Sartharion

It is worth mentioning that having a taunt macro of the RF tank helps - and off a few other threat whore healers - Priests in our case :)
Last edited by Tieran on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tieran

Postby knaughty » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks for the tips.

Either I or maybe a DK will tank adds.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Amarant_Pally » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:29 am

+1 drake (Tenebron) was...um...fun. Our Warrior tank kept claiming he had done it on Beta, and after our first attempt he said, "Huh, they musta changed it."

Aaaaanyways...yeah. I suggest any trick you can to help round up adds quickly (if you're AoE-tanking them, which I will probably suggest you do). This means the previously mentioned RF-buffed and Beaconing Holy Pally (who's location you are intimate with and if it were a bed, you'd be sexing him/her) and keeping JoLight on Sartharion.

No tips for +2 drakes from myself, but the ones already mentioned might help me in the future...thanks! :)
Amarant_Pally

Postby Morganim » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:50 am

This was surprisingly very easy, did it with 6 healers 3 tanks and the rest DPS. Only took about 1-2hrs worth of attempts
Cant wait to try 3 next week
Morganim

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:15 am

Tried [25]Sarth +1, only took 3 tries to kill it. 90% of which was working out where to tank the drake (beside Sarth, ranged side). First time we tanked the add in the right spot, bang, boss dead.

+2 may require more DPS that we can muster.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:44 am

Theres no DPS check at all to 2 drakes though, as long as you kill shadron.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Morganim » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:48 am

Joanadark wrote:Theres no DPS check at all to 2 drakes though, as long as you kill shadron.

i assume that 3 drakes has more dps checks then ?
Hopefully it will be an actual challenge unlike the rest of wotlk atm
Morganim

Postby Joanadark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:05 am

The reason there is no DPS check with shadron dead is because each drake comes out at a particular time, and that time does not change if other drakes are missing.
Shadron is the middle drake to come down of the three, so with Shadron dead you have a massive gap in between Tenebron (the first drake) and Vesperon (the last drake) during which you can leisurely kill Tenebron.
There is nothing at all for DPS to deal with besides killing Tenebron because you have no need to take his portals, and the blazes and whelps pretty much just kill themselves on their tank.

Clearly this is not the case for 3-drake, because with all three drakes alive they are landing heavy on each other's heels and you are going to have brief periods of having two drakes active at once while you finish off he previous one, AND you have to start dealing with portals immediately after the second drake lands. Thus there is actually a great deal more urgency to get stuff dead.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Ewige » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:46 am

Did this yesterday with *5* tanks: Bear, 2 Warriors, Paladin (me), and a DK.

We pre-killed the fire debuff drake due to some wipage the previous night on the 40k Sartharion breaths and people not moving out of the wave paths.

Not sure if this ascii will show gud:
Code: Select all
._________.
|1B---....|
|.........|
|...23...4|
|.........|
|...._____|
|.__/
|/

1 is the Bear doing his thing to the Sartharion (B---), with immediate area being verboten to melee/ranged due to wave re-positioning and breaths.

2/3 are Me and the DK to pick up the lava spawns and drake adds, right next to the portal. 4 is where one of the warriors tanks the big drakes as they come down (hunters MD). We had a backup warrior due to certain spontaneous combustion incidents the previous night. Emergency tanking proved useful on some attempts, but he got it down pat by the time we downed sarth. You can probably skip on the second add tank, but it does help to grip lava dudes from the boss tank sometimes.

We completely ignored the first drake portals and I just tanked all the hatchlings while everybody burned down the middle drake (shadron? forget). One caveat before you call out aoe on the adds is after the drake dies and there's a portal up, hatchlings will still spawn one last time; a cause of one good attempt wipe. Yeah, you'll take a huge amount of damage, don't be afraid to use DP/trinket on the second wave (AD saved my butt more than once, here, according to tankadin).

Also completely ignored the second portal until the second drake died, then went in to kill the elite.

Sartharion himself was cake.

Came out 5th on the charts, too, with 3k dps.

Overall, I'd say this is a very nice technical fight where people have to restart their atrophied dont-stand-in-shit glands they left in the last expansion pack.
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
Ewige

Postby MrDuck » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:55 am

We just gave this 2 attempts yesterday (had only 30min of raid time left,when we left naxx when it started to lag badly :(), killed tenebron easily, i assigned a DK on sartharion, one pally on drakes and myself on all the adds. Told one holy pally to use RF and stand close to me,and almost got down the adds, one hunter died from them :( But other than that, i had all on me most of the time, but 5 people died in void zones during tenebron, we still killed him easily before vesperon, but then i (i know i know i fail) got hit by fire wall, got critted by the damage reflection from vesperon's disciple debuff and that made me go splat with next hit from add (oh yeah didnt have much healing incoming -.-).

Anyways, it seemed like a nice complex fight and that we can get it down soon, we even had fairly sub optimal setup (no priest for buff and such).

One thing i wanted to ask about was the vesperon's disciple. Should we send some plate semi tank (how much of a tank should he be? will fury warr just swapping weapon/shield out be enough?) and a healer+dps to the portal? We just ignored portal and went nuts on vesperon.

And if it's really needed to take the vesperon portal, how many healers should go down there?
MrDuck

Postby amh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:43 am

Any plate-wearer can do it in their normal dps-gear, no need to swap in shield. Heck, we often end up with an enhancement-shaman doing it.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Diocaska » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:55 am

I'm not sure about how many healers for the disciple. Might be one or two.

We use a dps warrior on the disciples. You could have a ret pally do it if you wanted. Don't believe we have them switch into a shield, the damage isn't too nuts on them.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby MrDuck » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:33 am

Diocaska wrote:I'm not sure about how many healers for the disciple. Might be one or two.

We use a dps warrior on the disciples. You could have a ret pally do it if you wanted. Don't believe we have them switch into a shield, the damage isn't too nuts on them.
Alright thanks, i think i'll send the ret there, as the selfheals might help a little. Actually, i'll give that to raidleader, he usually lets me lead on sarth tho. Also the ret can pop RF to make sure the disciple sticks on him, or is that needed at all? From what i see, he's usually pretty high on threatlist, with some mages above usually.

And when the party down in portal kills the disciple,the reflective dmg debuff and +smg debuff go away right?

And last question, should i wait with sending 'em there after vesperon dies, or right when portal spawns?

Thanks for yer info guys :P
MrDuck

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon