Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Sartharion +3, avoid tank getting instagibbed

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Sartharion +3, avoid tank getting instagibbed

Postby Nick7 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:17 am

Today we have odd signups for Sartharion 25, but would like to try with 3 drakes (so far got him with 2 drakes 10/25).
However, issue we got for today is our DK tank cannot come, and we haven't got a druid tank either.
This makes tanking with Shadron+Vesperon quite dangerous.

Now, I have an odd idea, which I do not know if it's possible to make work out.
How big is Sartharions range for fire breath?

Is it possible to have hunter distract shot Sartharion while he is casting breath? Hunter would be on side where no other people are, on max range. He casts distract shot, Sarth breathes (hopefully noone gets hit, and he does it towards hunter), tank taunts Sartharion back.

Another possible option is (althout global cooldowns probably make this non-workable): paladin tank/healer/dps use bubble and taunt during breath, and after breath Sarth tank taunts back.

Is this doable at all?
Nick7

Postby Lowgrus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:04 am

no way in hell I'd want to tank sarth. I'm an avoidance tank anyways but even if I did have enough HP we dont have enough CD's. I mean we could divine shield and taunt then declick, but then we woudlnt' ahve any CD's until 2 minutes after forbearance.

I'm happy tanking drakes where threat is an issue. Put the crappy 1 pump chump DK's on sath.
Lowgrus

Postby Nick7 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:27 am

Neither I 'want' to tank Sartharion.
However, for today we're out of DK tank, and we haven't got a druid tank.
This leaves 2 paladins and warrior, which is far from ideal.

This is why I ask if it's even possible to avoid being instagibbed with those tricks, especially with hunter (I know taunt works.. don't know of range of breath, nor if you can taunt him during the breath, nor if anyone ever tried something like that).
Nick7

Postby elfjorc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:40 am

You can do the longer route that is getting a portal add to 10%, waiting for the double breath time and then burning it down, and so on, reducing the number of "max dmg" breaths you take, so that you can try to cover it with less cooldowns.
elfjorc

Postby knaughty » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 am

I doubt this is a workable plan for a progression kill.

Difficulty jump from +2 to +3 is very large.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby semp » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 am

Yeah from 2 to 3 is pretty big jump.

We smoked 2 dragons firs attempt last week, this week we spent half a night wiping on 3.
semp

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 am

Unless you can get > 40k hp raidbuffed just don't.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 am

Unless you can get > 40k hp raidbuffed or are a DK just don't.

fixt.

The bubble-taunt idea is unlikely to work, unless you somehow stack a rediculous number of paladins.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Belloc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:09 pm

Joanadark wrote:
Unless you can get > 40k hp raidbuffed or are a DK just don't.

fixt.

The bubble-taunt idea is unlikely to work, unless you somehow stack a rediculous number of paladins.

I think that it's more intended to take the place of an additional cooldown in the cooldown rotation. Each paladin could, done correctly, eat a flame breath.

Of course, that requires you to pre-bubble, which could prove to be useless if Sarth decides not to use his breath.
Belloc

Postby Ziv » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Our guild uses a Warrior to MT Sarth (both 10/25) who sits slightly higher than 30k unbuffed, so it's not at all necessary to have a Druid or Death Knight MT.

All you have to do to survive the breaths is have cooldowns readily available for each 2nd/3rd drake Sarth breath: Power Word: Shield (each breath), Guardian Spirit, Hand of Sacrifice, Shield Wall, Divine Guardian, etc. I'm sure I'm fudging the numbers, but it's about 8-10k for the Power Word: Shield, plus the ability of the cooldown, plus whatever mitigation the MT may have... so worst case the MT will be killed by a subsequent melee hit. :P

On our 10man kill we had: Guardian Spirit > Hand of Sacrifice (me) > Divine Guardian (me) > Shield Wall > (2nd drake died at this point) Hand of Sacrifice (Holy Paladin)... We also ran a standard group set up (3 tank, 3 healers, 4 dps), which I understand isn't very optimal. Are kill order was 1st drake, whelps, 2nd drake, portal, 3rd drake, Sarth.
Ziv

Postby Palalaladin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:54 am

Ziv wrote:Our guild uses a Warrior to MT Sarth (both 10/25) who sits slightly higher than 30k unbuffed, so it's not at all necessary to have a Druid or Death Knight MT.

All you have to do to survive the breaths is have cooldowns readily available for each 2nd/3rd drake Sarth breath: Power Word: Shield (each breath), Guardian Spirit, Hand of Sacrifice, Shield Wall, Divine Guardian, etc. I'm sure I'm fudging the numbers, but it's about 8-10k for the Power Word: Shield, plus the ability of the cooldown, plus whatever mitigation the MT may have... so worst case the MT will be killed by a subsequent melee hit. :P

On our 10man kill we had: Guardian Spirit > Hand of Sacrifice (me) > Divine Guardian (me) > Shield Wall > (2nd drake died at this point) Hand of Sacrifice (Holy Paladin)... We also ran a standard group set up (3 tank, 3 healers, 4 dps), which I understand isn't very optimal. Are kill order was 1st drake, whelps, 2nd drake, portal, 3rd drake, Sarth.

you guys doing 10+3 with 3t 3h 4dps? you have enough of dps to pull it? thought 5 is already pushing it and need top of the top dps for it.

and saying it is almost the same to pick druid or pala: i have raid buffed just above 40k, druid has 52k...(ice set decked with stam, stam+anti spell meta are just godly for druid that doesnt need defense, just tons of hp, i think i can get maybe 3k more with ice set but way under crit cap, no avoidance, pretty useless imo)
Palalaladin(VoS), US-Sargeras
Palalaladin

Postby Ziv » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:15 am

Palalaladin wrote:you guys doing 10+3 with 3t 3h 4dps? you have enough of dps to pull it? thought 5 is already pushing it and need top of the top dps for it.

Yeah, our group was:
Tanks: Warrior, Warrior, Paladin
DPS: Warrior, Death Knight, Hunter, Hunter
Healers: Paladin, Priest, Druid

So no Bloodlust either. :P
Ziv

Postby Barrundar » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 pm

We are going to try Sartharion +3d but it seems that i am the only one from the guild close to be able to tank him.
I will be close to 30.5k hp unbuffed, aprox 41k buffed and with 102.4 avoidance so i will not take hits without at least blocking.
do you think i can manage to survive as MT ?
Ah and if you check my armory and spec i will respec for him to
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAcuMteIRGoxf0hb
Barrundar

Postby Aubade » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:20 am

Barrundar wrote:We are going to try Sartharion +3d but it seems that i am the only one from the guild close to be able to tank him.
I will be close to 30.5k hp unbuffed, aprox 41k buffed and with 102.4 avoidance so i will not take hits without at least blocking.
do you think i can manage to survive as MT ?
Ah and if you check my armory and spec i will respec for him to
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAcuMteIRGoxf0hb

I think you should be fine. My horribly under-geared ass did it today >.< although we didn't finish up with a kill we did get some good progression (2 drakes down 3rd to go). and i only have 28k unbuffed, 80%~ avoidance with HS, 24k Armor.

Every wipe was becuase of reasons other than my death (with the exception of eating a flame wall once haha)

Just save your CD's for the huge breaths. I used bubblewall for 1st one, Repelling charge + Divine Guardian from Prot pally drake tank for 2nd. Guardian spirit for 3rd. so on and so forth.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Petersen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:18 pm

Aubade wrote:
Just save your CD's for the huge breaths. I used bubblewall for 1st one, Repelling charge + Divine Guardian from Prot pally drake tank for 2nd. Guardian spirit for 3rd. so on and so forth.

I see people say this a lot, but I've yet to observe a 'tell' as to when he is about to breathe. (I've also never done it with 3 drakes so I don't know if that makes a difference or not).
¬The Original PalaTank, Petersen the Unbreakable
Tanking with a Paladin since before it was 'cool.'
Petersen

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon