Remove Advertisements

[10] Malygos help

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Malygos help

Postby search66 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:24 am

We attempted Malygos last night, and after about 8 wipes made it to the second stage. We made it to stage two; twice... but the 10-minute enrage wiped us.

I realize that we need to stack the spark-buff so DPS is bumped... but I had a horrible horrible time tanking him.

I've watched the tank spot video a hundred times. Seems like I never get that lucky with my powersparks. The other MT (warrior) suggested to keep moving him in a circle the whole time. The videos I've watched was basically keep him parallel with the raid (with raid in the middle).

I had a couple of unlucky attempts where the DK's would death coil (or whatever its called) Maly instead of the sparks; and getting full aggro back was tough.

Just looking for any other advice that you guys could provide.
search66

Postby Serelynn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:55 am

Always keep an eye on where the closest spark is, it will move much faster than the furthest spark. Know when to start moving Malygos, you can't wait till the closest spark is dead center and killed - by then the second spark will be closing in and it could be too late. Movement speed talents/enchants do help in my experience.

Practice strafing around the inner circle more before the pull, if you don't strafe well it could take too long to reposition the dragon.

Keep practicing and making attempts on him, remember, this is one of the more challenging encounters in WotLK right now. He's not meant to be a pushover on your first night fighting him.
Serelynn

Postby search66 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 am

Huhm... good pointers. I'll keep trying... Thanks.

Do you have any problems keeping aggro? When watching Omen, the threat is awfully close. I'm afraid to simply kite him, without REALLY tanking him.... know what I mean?

I've never had a problem with aggro since 3.0... and this is the first time, I have to work for it... and kite.... at the same time.
search66

Postby Rehlachs- » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:27 am

regarding aggro problems -
keep in mind, that your DPS has at least one buff for at least 50% additional dmg up all the time. JoL helps quite a bit, but your DPS should check their omen from time to time.
Rehlachs-

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 am

Just have somebody in your raid tell you to move clockwise or counter clockwise and just be aware and watching for the sparks at all times. You should still be able to go all out on threat while moving him. He has a giant hit box. Strafe sideways instead of running away from him. And use hand of salv if you have a fury warrior or something who can't drop threat themselves and they're creeping up on you. I know last night I did this as Ret on 10 man and was doing well over 3k dps and had to hand of salv myself to keep from creeping up too high.
Ashmadai

Postby search66 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:57 am

Ashmadai wrote:Just have somebody in your raid tell you to move clockwise or counter clockwise and just be aware and watching for the sparks at all times. You should still be able to go all out on threat while moving him. He has a giant hit box. Strafe sideways instead of running away from him. And use hand of salv if you have a fury warrior or something who can't drop threat themselves and they're creeping up on you. I know last night I did this as Ret on 10 man and was doing well over 3k dps and had to hand of salv myself to keep from creeping up too high.

Good idea. Thanks everyone... I'll give them all a shot tonight. I think one of my problems, is that I use the mouse to strafe (hold right click in). I need to work on my keybindings.
search66

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 am

As far as threat goes, your hunters and rogues should be misdirecting/tricking you as much as possible. If someone is getting too close, wait until you have a moment and then salv them.

I don't have the macro with me, but you want to be able to pull your camera much further back than the default settings allow. The reason for this is so that you can see where the sparks are at any time. Communicate over vent where you are going to move,and just pull the boss there. It's tough at first, but you'll get the hang of it.
Belloc

Postby Serelynn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Malygos' damage is fairly predictable, so I usually pop Avenging Wrath to help build some threat early on.

Right before Malygos takes off for vortex, if it is safe for you to run into the center (his breath debuffs you and makes you explode after a few seconds), try and get inside a spark and get a few hits off. The extra damage buff can make those few abilities you use generate some huge threat.
Serelynn

Postby Jasari » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Kiting is something that you just have to practice. It sounds like you know what you're supposed to be doing, it just might take some time before you master it

As far as threat goes, you should be able to keep judging during vortex, and using AS as well. Sometimes you'll even be able to use ShoR and HotR. Keep and eye out and be sure to use whatever you can.
Jasari

Postby Nalyn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:41 pm

As far as the agro problems, don't worry about them, as the tank, it's MUCH more important to get him moved/positioned/faced correctly, than to get maintain a perfect threat rotation. If the dps start catching you...then they need to watch their own threat meters, and/or put their agro drops back on their bars, and actually use them.

Phase 1 for this fight is ALL about the sparks, and communication between whoever is killing them, and the tank.
Nalyn

Postby search66 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks for the support everyone... Hopefully the next thread you'll see from me is in the 'success' thread!
search66

Postby Lowgrus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:09 am

seriously just go either north or south pending on where sparks are coming from. If you go north raid goes south. If you go south raid go north.

You can have DK's deathgrip sparks in. Entangle the sparks/ anything ya need. Its not completely nessacary to try and stack 3 on top of eachother but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Maybe in a 5 minute maly I'll move all around the darng circle to make sure stacks get to like 4 but not doing that on normal kills. On a side note 20 man maly is fairly difficult to do. Starting off with 5 less people to eat surges makes ya get targeted more and makes it harder to keep your stacks up.
Lowgrus

Postby Belloc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 am

Lowgrus wrote:seriously just go either north or south pending on where sparks are coming from. If you go north raid goes south. If you go south raid go north.

You can have DK's deathgrip sparks in. Entangle the sparks/ anything ya need. Its not completely nessacary to try and stack 3 on top of eachother but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Maybe in a 5 minute maly I'll move all around the darng circle to make sure stacks get to like 4 but not doing that on normal kills. On a side note 20 man maly is fairly difficult to do. Starting off with 5 less people to eat surges makes ya get targeted more and makes it harder to keep your stacks up.

And if you don't have any DK's? You move him around the platform.
Belloc

Threat Issues

Postby Nightshade » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:49 am

Everytime im tanking Maly 10,i seem to be having trouble maintaining threat once the DPS starts to double-stack the sparks. I pop Avenging Wrath on the pull at the beginning,as well as make sure that I have SOC up, then settle into my 9-6-9 (making sure that I have nothing oncooldown)yet,once my raid double-stack enough sparks a while into the fight, the DPS has to tone things down a bit and we always end up hitting the enrage timer in Phase 3. The only things i can think of are; maybe I need to get to the middle quicker to get a few free whacks with the double spark buff,or i need to get a bit closer before the vortex phase to continue DPS'ing while it's going on. Does anyone else find those two things to be key for threat generation,or have any other suggestions on what i can do?
Jasari wrote:Upload your combat log to WWS and it'll be a lot easier to find where the problem is. The fact that you're having trouble with the enrage timer leads me to believe that the problem is your threat and not the DPS being ridiculously high.

***EDIT*** The next time we do Maly, I will make sure to gather that information. This is my first tank,so am I correct in assuming that I can complile that information using Recount,or would it be located in some text file in WOW? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the number-crunching. Thanks.
Last edited by Nightshade on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nightshade

Postby amh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:18 am

What kind of TPS are you doing? What kind of DPS are they doing?

Unless you´re severely threat-capping your raid, chances are that the raid is too slow in phase 2. This is where it´s easy to get "stuck".

How to speed up phase 2:
The melee nuke the Lords
The melee have designated in which order the discs are grabbed

The ranged ignore Lords completely, nuke Scions as they pass by.

The airbound players should be nuking the Scions that are either approaching the grounded, or have just passed. This will allow you to focus fire them down quicker, getting people up in the air quicker (shorter distance to run). The Scions move clockwise.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon