Remove Advertisements

Lodi Dodi We Love Skadi

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Lodi Dodi We Love Skadi

Postby justa » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Has been some conflict with some guild members about this and I just want to get a flat answer and put this to bed.

Is there a way to complete the gauntlet in 3 mins without doing the reset to the event after you have 6 harpoons? Some are calling it an exploit some are just saying that is how the event works and would have been fixed long ago if was an exploit in the first place.

Personally I could care less. The encounter is a joke once you are over geared for it. Have completed it both ways blowing thru and picking up harpoons at the door. It just does not seem that the harpooners spawn fast enough regardless of how fast you blow thru the hallway to get 6 harpoons and kill him in 3 mins.

If anyone knows of a vid / forum post or some sort of information resource on this please let me know. Been digging around for a bit and cant find squat other then the posts of making it "easy".

Thanks in advance.
justa

Postby majiben » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 am

Farming the spears before hand is the simplest way to do it but it's entirely possible to rush in and grab them at once.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby AusDante » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:53 am

Majiben wrote:Farming the spears before hand is the simplest way to do it but it's entirely possible to rush in and grab them at once.

Agreed, we always farm the spears first at the entrance, then reset then kill everything when it spawns in the room after starting it up again.

Then one member goes and downs Skadis drake when he comes into range.

Gets easy when u get the hang of it :)
AusDante

Postby justa » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:46 am

As stated have done it both ways countless times. Is there some way to get the mobs to spawn faster as you are waiting at the end of the room with nothing to kill? Honestly that is the problem. Every other wave is a harpoon dude. Each wave there is an exstended amount of time. Never seems to spawn fast enough and Love skaldi cant be done unless you reset the encounter. That is what i'm kind of driving at. Is this a false assumption or is there a vid / thread somewhere stating otherwise.
justa

Re: Lodi Dodi We Love Skadi

Postby Cowadin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:31 pm

justa wrote:Is there a way to complete the gauntlet in 3 mins without doing the reset to the event after you have 6 harpoons? Some are calling it an exploit some are just saying that is how the event works and would have been fixed long ago if was an exploit in the first place.

If you think of the achievement system, many of them are based on figuring out the "trick." Of course, there are certain achievements where you just have to have enough raw dps (kill patchwerk in 3 minutes), but for the most part there is a trick in order to properly beat the achievement.

that said, im sure there is also the situation for an extremely over-geared group that could "power through" an achievement without using any tricks, it would just be a lot harder.

When it comes to people saying "that's an exploit" -- they just need to get over themselves. its more of a smarts thing, figuring out what you can do with the in game mechanics, than anything else, and what do you get from it? X-Box Live points and maybe a title or mount down the road. blizz has constantly used the phrase "clever use of in game mechanics" for multiple situations that are borderline exploits, and i think that's exactly what they wanted with some of these achievements.

LAST NOTE -- i dont think you can "power through" this achievement. I'm not sure you could pick up enough spears fast enough, simply due to lack of spawn rate, and there is also a ~1 second cooldown on a harpoon gun so you can't spam click all 6 at once. i always have 2 people using the 3 guns to make sure we get him down in 1 pass.. so i dont know if it'd even be possible without the reset -- it'd be pretty intense to pull off.

-Cow

Tankadin. Pew Pew.
Cowadin

Postby Threatco » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:45 am

and there is also a ~1 second cooldown on a harpoon gun so you can't spam click all 6 at once

This is wrong in that you can go between the 3 guns fast enough for 1 person to do it alone. Shoot with Gun A > B > C > A > B and you will have time.

6 harpoons

This is wrong. You only need FIVE harpoons to shoot down Skadi.

. Never seems to spawn fast enough and Love skaldi cant be done unless you reset the encounter.

This is right.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Not enough harpoons drop in the normal course of events for you to beat the timer.
You have to reset.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby justa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm

6 harpoons

This is wrong. You only need FIVE harpoons to shoot down Skadi.

5 for normal 6 heroic
justa

Postby Threatco » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:47 pm

It's 5 on heroic too.

There has been a lot of confusion about this. And I know in some comment boards like wowhead someone says its 6 on heroic while others say 5-10.

The truth is the whole "6 harpoons" thing is just a safety strategy in case someone misses with one.

A lot of people I run with have said "lets get 6 to be safe" And I am 100% certain you don't need 6.

It could be that the window of opportunity is smaller, because when people do the shooting alone for the first time, they sometimes to miss t with the 5th harpoon because they are too slow. But my usual wing man and a lot of puggers have no trouble doing all 5 shots in one pass, and I have done it my self when we had another tank.

so

IT ONLY TAKES 5 HARPOONS TO SHOOT DOWN SKADI IN HEROIC
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby smeej » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:32 am

You can def. power thru this achievement. My group missed it by about 10 seconds and that was after letting him take one or two more passes than he should have due to harpoon confusion. You have to outgear the place tho.
smeej

Postby daemonym » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 am

smeej wrote:You can def. power thru this achievement. My group missed it by about 10 seconds and that was after letting him take one or two more passes than he should have due to harpoon confusion. You have to outgear the place tho.

not at all, you just need a healer that can keep up with you. did both the skadi achievements the other night in a single run in a single try by just brute forcing it. all of us had boe blues and epics, rep items, and 2-3 naxx10 drops at max. we tried it the 'reset and run to aoe all at once' method but our healer couldn't deal with me getting hit 20 something times at once (even with HW stun).

so we did it the normal way, just really fast. after the event is started and the mobs began to appear, i cast sacred shield on myself then rushed down the hallway, AS the first 4, shor the one that isn't dazed, exorcism and HoR poke the next pair, holy wrath, then finally consecrate at last ones.

to kill him in a single pass, one really fast person can ALMOST do it, but not quite. so 2 people with a few harpoons in their pack each if they're quick or use all 3 dps to shoot him down while you get ready to catch him. with 2 taunts his WW should never hit anybody but you.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:59 am

daemonym wrote:[quote="smeej"
to kill him in a single pass, one really fast person can ALMOST do it, but not quite. so 2 people with a few harpoons in their pack each if they're quick or use all 3 dps to shoot him down while you get ready to catch him. with 2 taunts his WW should never hit anybody but you.

One person absolutely can hit him with all 5 harpoons in a single pass. You have to be watching him so that you can click the first harpoon right before the warning is announced. Click left, middle, right, wait a second, left, middle.

When I do this gauntlet, I tell no one else to pick up harpoons, since I know that I can shoot him down in one pass on my own -- I don't trust the others to help.
Belloc

Postby Lore » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 am

Okay, there is discussion about two different achievements going on here, and it seems to be causing some confusion.

One is the "Kill Grauf from 100% to dead in one pass" achievement. That's totally doable without resetting the encounter, by one person. That's also not the one the OP was asking about.

The "Kill Skadi within 3 minutes of starting the gauntlet" achievement is not doable without resetting first. It takes longer than 3 minutes for 5 Harpooners to spawn.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby daemonym » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 am

Belloc wrote:When I do this gauntlet, I tell no one else to pick up harpoons, since I know that I can shoot him down in one pass on my own -- I don't trust the others to help.

and i don't trust the others to not die in 1.3 seconds unless i'm waiting on the mobs that are about to spawn. therefore, they're on harpoon detail and i do what i'm there to do: tank stuff.

and i suppose if 1 person is RIGHT at a harpoon with all 5 in their pack and starts shooting IMMEDIATELY as he's in range they can catch him in 1 pass. would still rather have at least 2 on the job.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:15 am

daemonym wrote:
Belloc wrote:When I do this gauntlet, I tell no one else to pick up harpoons, since I know that I can shoot him down in one pass on my own -- I don't trust the others to help.

and i don't trust the others to not die in 1.3 seconds unless i'm waiting on the mobs that are about to spawn. therefore, they're on harpoon detail and i do what i'm there to do: tank stuff.

and i suppose if 1 person is RIGHT at a harpoon with all 5 in their pack and starts shooting IMMEDIATELY as he's in range they can catch him in 1 pass. would still rather have at least 2 on the job.

You've got AS for the mobs that are about to spawn. You have taunts, exorcism, holy wrath.

Once I have 5 harpoons, I make a judgment call: If the boss is about to come around, I run to the launchers. If not, I grab the next pack with Consecrate and HotR and then I go to the launchers. My group comes with me. If the mobs spawn before launch time, I AS them and the group is fine. If not, I launch, pick up the boss, and then AS them, followed by a holy wrath. Either way, the group is fine.

You, as a paladin tank, have enough in your arsenal to grab and hold those mobs from range before they are able to do any damage to the group. Your group has enough in their arsenal to stun, kite, and heal through the damage. No one should ever die from two weak mobs. Hell, when ret this boss, I just stun and solo any mobs that come out after he lands.

And the last point I would like to make is that you, the tank, are the ideal candidate for shooting him down. When you shoot him down, you know exactly when he is going to land. You are also positioned right where he is going to land.

If your DPS shoots him down, not only do you not know when he is going to land, but you are also likely to be elsewhere, at which point your healer is likely to get gibbed.

Do the fight however you choose, but consider all of your abilities and skills, not to mention the components of the fight that can either harm or help you.
Belloc

Next

Return to General Strats