Remove Advertisements

[10] Gluth

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Tirani » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:08 am

Majiben wrote:He implied he ran around like a headless chicken when he kited and that is the wrong way to kite them. To me that says he was obviously doing the kiting worng.

I just wanted to state the fact that I prefer tanking them. This is in my eyes in no way a subtoptimal solution to the problem with a standard 2/3/5 setup.

As you use a non standard 2/2/6 setup you have to kite the zombies, the optimal solution to your setup, but not to mine.
Tirani

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 am

Try tanking them on 25-man and tell me it's the optimal way.

Yes, tanking them WORKS on 10-man, but kiting is the intended method. You take less damage and you gain more skill. Kiting is a very valuable skill in WoW, and it's always a good thing to practice. If tanking works for you, then do it... but you should also learn how to successfully kite them (especially since it's so damned easy).

And I'll be very annoyed if I ever have to do 10-man Naxx with more than 2 healers again. Soooooooooo slow.
Belloc

Postby Tirani » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 am

Belloc wrote:Try tanking them on 25-man and tell me it's the optimal way.

"In my days we had to go uphill, both ways!"

Yes, the 25 Gluth needs kiting, other encounters need kiting, but why on earth should I kite them unneeded?

Belloc wrote:but kiting is the intended method

If that were true, Blizzard would habe implemented it that way. They made tanking them require a third healer, but they didn't make tanking them impossible. I even think that a pair of healer that can heal the rest of Naxx 10 by themself, can heal this encounter with me tanking the zombies.
Tirani

Postby majiben » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 am

Tirani wrote:why on earth should I kite them unneeded?
Because it's easier. Same reason why you use a sword and shield for tanking bosses, it requires less healing than using a 2H.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Spectrum » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:28 pm

I just want to add again that it seems to be 90% the player.

Me and our DK OT tank the boss and just switch off whenever our stacks wear off, and call out who is taunting when decimate happens.

We had a good mage and hunter kiting them and things were fine, but this last time they weren't available. A different mage and hunter were both trying and failing. Eventually our boomkin stepped up and said, "Screw it, I'll kite. Everyone else on the boss." It worked great. Just dropped Earthbind and Frost traps and had the occasional frost nova.

Having someone who knows how to move, can watch the adds while on the move, and knows how to do things like jump-shot is a huge plus.

How does a hunter get to max level without learning how to jump shot?
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Wolvar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Majiben wrote:Because it's easier. Same reason why you use a sword and shield for tanking bosses, it requires less healing than using a 2H.

Tanking is easier than kiting. We have too many healers so always take 3 and one has little to do but weak dps so I'll likely just tank them next time now that I know it's possible.

...and there's a lot more reasons not to use a 2h than less healing. :roll:
Wolvar

Postby Wolvar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:25 am

heh, I tanked them last night so it works but I prefer kiting them. It's easier for me to see which adds are on me and pickup new ones if I'm on the move.
Wolvar

Postby Tirani » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 am

Wolvar wrote:heh, I tanked them last night so it works but I prefer kiting them. It's easier for me to see which adds are on me and pickup new ones if I'm on the move.

What did your healer say about healing you? Any feedback?
Tirani

Postby Dokidoki » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:20 am

the debuff is going to instagib you eventually
Dokidoki

Postby Wolvar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:48 am

Tirani wrote:What did your healer say about healing you? Any feedback?

She was less bored than usual. Our healers hate 3 healer ID's but we generally have more than enough healers to go around so we take them anyway.
Wolvar

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:00 am

Dokidoki wrote:the debuff is going to instagib you eventually

If you get a lot of completely unavoided attacks, maybe. There are plenty of testimonials in this thread, however, of people who have tanked the chow from start to finish. So it is a valid strategy, even if some of us dislike the thought of it.
Belloc

Postby Nalyn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:01 am

Belloc wrote:

If you get a lot of completely unavoided attacks, maybe. There are plenty of testimonials in this thread, however, of people who have tanked the chow from start to finish. So it is a valid strategy, even if some of us dislike the thought of it.

Ya, even with a full stack of the debuff, you're only increasing the next to zero damage the zombies do by 10k, then after you factor in damage reduction from armor, talents, and block value, and the number of hits that just don't even land due to dodge/parry/miss, they really just don't hit THAT hard, definitely seems doable.

That said, I like the kiting better, it's something a little bit different, just about every other pull/boss in the instance I'm standing in front of something, as it pummels me in the face, the kiting I get to run around, use a few different abilities, and see just how much I can avoid getting hit.
Nalyn

Postby majiben » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm

There's always the chance that all the zombies will hit at once with out being avoided or blocked. Aka playing with fire.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Dokidoki » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 am

if you're backing up then you're probably not fast enough to outpace them so you're getting hit more often than if you were at run speed.

If you're turning around and running then you cant dodge/block/parry so you're getting hit quite a bit. (not sure if you get the debuff upon blocked attack)

and you're probably moving one way or the other to pick up the mobs.

Testimonials doesn't really change anything. Lots of people smoke, doesn't make it healthy for you.

Yes, however do things the way you are comfortable ultimately. I just know that if I have someone in my raid that can't get the end result because they are using unorthodox methods, I'm going to ask them to do it the normal way or to leave.
Dokidoki

Postby Blackharon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:11 pm

I wonder if you could lessen the possibility by having one tank tank the zombies till the first decimate, then your 2nd tank tank them till the 2nd and so on...
Blackharon

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon