[25] Naxx - How many tanks/healers?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Naxx - How many tanks/healers?

Postby Ashmadai » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:47 am

My guild is primarily all about 10 mans. Our goal has been and remains to progress through all the content in our 10 man team of close friends. That said, I like to pug 25 mans once in a while to get more loot, especially since we easily clear all the content and I have a bunch of free evenings I could be doing 25 mans. I'm thinking about hosting Naxx pugs with some guildmates and filling in the rest with PuG members.

My question is how many Tanks and Healers are necessary for Naxx 25? I figured 2 tanks would do the trick, but then again Patchwerk could be troublesome with only 2 tanks on 25 I'd think, especially since in a PuG the healing may or may not be top notch. On my server we have a large amount of people who chill in a PuG channel called Bur, and there are a lot of quality people so it shouldn't be all bad though.

Thanks for the help!
Ashmadai

Postby Serelynn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am

2.5 tanks and 7-8 healers works pretty damn well, if your raid DPS is amazing you probably could get by with less healing.
Serelynn

Postby majiben » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:55 am

Be warned that on your progression thadius fights 1.5 tanks and 4-5 healers may be needed to help you beat the enrage.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Senador » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:24 am

To be honest though, Thaddius is the only serious DPS check in the instance (There are, of course some smaller checks in the form of Gothik, Patchwerk, Loatheb and Maexnna, but the bar on these is much lower).

If you are just going in for the first time, and just "testing the waters" so to speak, 7 healers and 3ish tanks should do you fine; and you can clear Spider, Plague and Military quarters with that with little issue.
Senador

Postby Wolvar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 am

We always bring 6 healers and 3-4 tanks.
Wolvar

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am

Spider wing can easily be done with 2 tanks and 5 healers. Plague is the same, except healing might be problematic on Loatheb (though, the DPS would probably make up for it).

Patchwerk demands very strong healers. If you've got 2-3 paladins, you could probably 5 heal it. I recommend 7 healers. If your OT is a druid with high health, you could 2 tank it (you have to spam large heals on the OT constantly, in order to keep his health higher than the DPS that would be 3rd on the threat list). The rest of the construct quarter can be done with 2 tanks and 5 healers.

DK wing can be done with 2 tanks, but 4H is the same deal as Patchwerk. If you've only got 5 healers, two of them better be amazing paladins (using beacon of light on each other). The reason for this is that the caster mobs hit extremely hard. We generally have 4 healers in the back if we don't want to wipe in 4 seconds.

Kel'thuzad can be done with 2 tanks, but you'll want 7 healers to be comfortable.

Long story short: Everything can be done with 2 tanks, but Patchwerk is designed for 3. Almost everything can be done with 5 healers, but a few key bosses (namely the end boss) call for 7. Bring 7 healers, 2 warrior/paladin tanks, and a druid/DK that can DPS when they aren't needed as tanks.
Belloc

Postby MrDuck » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:29 am

Well, yesterday we ran with 5 healers and 2 tanks (actually, used warr offspecced as 3rd tank for patch,but he died anyway), and it seemed easy on patch, sometimes a DPS got a hateful,but we were lucky on avoiding, and making them step into slime might help(and also might kill an offtank:\), but using 1DK with 75% avoidance(actually i think he avoided 83% there,iirc) worked just nicely. I wouldnt do it on progress though.

On other fights you dont really need more than 2 tanks, it can be useful on 4HM but not necessarry (fuk spelling) imo. KT adds...cant speak,we still dont have priests to do razuvious,so we're stuck on progress >.< FUCK THAT FREAKING FIGHT
MrDuck

Postby Belarkan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:32 am

Serelynn wrote:2.5 tanks and 7-8 healers works pretty damn well, if your raid DPS is amazing you probably could get by with less healing.

7/8 healers is too much unless you're in green/blues and you skip nax10.
Even on progression kills 7 healers was not really needed.

As for the tanks, you most probably want 2 "real" tanks and one dps that can tank.

For thaddius, if you are geared a bit this shouldn't be issue.
You gain much more by everybody being alive and DPS knowing their jobs rather than just swaping one tank.

Think a discipline healer is an incredible added value in your healing team.
Belarkan

Postby QuantumDelta » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 am

5-6 healers, 3 tanks.
Depends on how good your healers are mainly though.
We /mostly/ run with war/druid/pally for tanks - works great since the feral always pewpews bosses that only need 2 tanks.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:21 pm

We have no ferals in our guild atm - well, a couple that are alts, only one of which is 80.

So we run Naxx25 with 3 tanks. We also could not beat Patchwerk with 7 healers. I have beaten it in a PUG25 that had 9.

All of which is to say, 6 healers sounds great for DPS but make sure YOUR particular team can beat Patchwerk. Perhaps our group simply didn't have the right mix of healing classes, I dunno.
Fedaykin98

Postby knaughty » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:52 pm

We started with 7-8 healers (skipping naxx-10), now use 5-6.

Some encounters need two real tanks, Patch requires three for a progression kill, KT 3, several require 1.

We usually run with 2 prots and a bear/DK.

Only serious DPS check is Thaddius, and that's only hard if you skip Naxx-10 like we did.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon