Remove Advertisements

[25] Patchwerk

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Vioarr » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:45 am

I've been running into some issues with Patchwerk; we have a MT warrior with about 30K hp, I'm sitting at 36k hp, and another warrior whose at around 34k hp as well. The 34 and myself are the HS tanks, but I still seem to take almost double the HS hits that the OT warrior. The healers are insisting that it's best to swap the heals to whoever is taking the HS, but I'm of the opinion that one healer should be on every tank all the time, to provide more of a buffer. I will say that we get him to 50% before the enrage, but at around 50% I get roflstomped from not enough healing.

Any advice is welcomed.
Vioarr
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeryia » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Vioarr wrote:I've been running into some issues with Patchwerk; we have a MT warrior with about 30K hp, I'm sitting at 36k hp, and another warrior whose at around 34k hp as well. The 34 and myself are the HS tanks, but I still seem to take almost double the HS hits that the OT warrior. The healers are insisting that it's best to swap the heals to whoever is taking the HS, but I'm of the opinion that one healer should be on every tank all the time, to provide more of a buffer. I will say that we get him to 50% before the enrage, but at around 50% I get roflstomped from not enough healing.

Any advice is welcomed.

Hello,
You are correct you will want assigned healers for each tank. Patchwerk requires your healers to preheal.
If you are currently swapping healers on the fly to whoever is taking damage, I know why you are taking extra damage.
Your healers will tend to all heal the same target. Big heals have a cast time of around 2-2.5 seconds depending on the class. Hateful come in at I believe 1.2 seconds (prolly wrong, but it;s faster than a big heal). The heals will get behind, just due to the cast time.

Also, you don't need 36-34k HP on your hateful strike tanks. The hateful hit me for about 26-21k, unless you can get to at least 42k HP, more health won't help you much. You need to look at keeping your HP above 30k, and getting heavy avoidance. If you dodge a hateful, your healers will not need to use as much mana. You will find that mana will become an issue for your healers with this boss.
Jeryia

Postby Rokh » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:49 pm

My guild only uses 2 tanks for the 25man version.

MT-1healer +beacon
OT-4healers +beacon

yes we do have another actual tank in the raid meleeing patchwork, but he doesnt have assigned healers and if he does ever take a hatefull, he gets up from holylight splash and banana beam nicks.

We found having 1 OT with crazy incoming heals worked better than racing thin heals against multiple hatefull targets.
Rokh

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 am

Rokh wrote:My guild only uses 2 tanks for the 25man version.

MT-1healer +beacon
OT-4healers +beacon

yes we do have another actual tank in the raid meleeing patchwork, but he doesnt have assigned healers and if he does ever take a hatefull, he gets up from holylight splash and banana beam nicks.

We found having 1 OT with crazy incoming heals worked better than racing thin heals against multiple hatefull targets.

That is a VERY interesting strat. Very interesting indeed.

I've been a HS tank in a PUG that took about 7 tries to get Patchwerk down. Last night my guild took about 4 shots at him with no joy (and it was late, so we called it).
Fedaykin98

Postby majorwoo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:20 pm

We also downed him with 2 tanks and 7 healers. Beacon is very OP here indeed, and having one OT getting spammed to death seemed easier on the healers as well.

Now my guild skipped 25 man's this week due to everyone off for the holidays and in the PUG I did (which mind you cleared the other 3 wings) Patchwork was our undoing. I was MT w/ 35k and we had a feral at 42k as OT and we kept losing him. We tried a 3 tank strat as well and it wasn't happening, but we had 6 heals and no bacon.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Wolvar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:48 am

Pally MT, Druid OT. 2 healers on MT, 3 healers on OT and a shaman helping the other tanks that take occasional strikes with chain heal is how we do it.

We don't have a regular holy pally tho' beacon would be useful as hell.
Wolvar

Postby Adanel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:10 pm

We one shot every week with 3 tanks, tried 2 tanks for the first time since our feral was in some party, lost our fury warrior and 2 ret pallies at ~30% of the fight, -5% crit but rogues stayed alive but we killed anyway :P.

Usually with 3 tanks our melee gets into the slime and we don't AoE heal/JoL, but with 2 tanks we used the logic that the OT would die if the hateful that gone to a melee was on him, not so true when the fury war has 30k hp. I could crunch numbers in WWS to really see if the 3 deads saved the OT at least once but if rogues stayed alive probably it was just some time the healers slacked. I suggest you get the melee's into the slime if you want to do with 2 tanks but not if you're going with 3 since with 3 you can get more from chain heal and it's less likely a melee will die.
Adanel

Postby Deloimoi » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:56 pm

In our 25 mans we usually have 2 resto druids (I am the main one), 2 holy priests, 2 holy pallies (one FoL, one HL), and a resto shaman.
For patchwerk we use 3 tanks, which makes it really easy. Basically we keep 3 stacked lifebloom stacks and rejuv on each tank, the pallies cross beacons on each HS tank and do their thing, and I really don’t know what the priests and shaman do but whatever it is we have never had a problem. Just make sure not to AoE heal.
Manarok - 80 holy paladin
Deloimoi - 80 restoration druid
Deloimoi

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Would y'all agree that the lowest HP tank should MT? It just seems to me that healing the MT is much easier than healing the people who are soaking bolts.
Fedaykin98

Postby Wolvar » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:41 pm

In a 10 man yes since yer likely to have only two tanks. When you have 3 or 4, the highest HP tank should OT, preferably a druid. After that, the tank with the best mitigation should MT.
Wolvar

Postby Frickit » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:06 am

Wolvar wrote:In a 10 man yes since yer likely to have only two tanks. When you have 3 or 4, the highest HP tank should OT, preferably a druid. After that, the tank with the best mitigation should MT.

I typically dont care enough to pay attention to specifics of boss mechanics but this just seems wrong. I thought the highest hp tank had to be MT while the hateful soakers should be your two best geared avoidance/mitigation tanks with lower hp's.

We did heroic PW with two tanks cuz our squishy was put on hatefuls (with me on the boss :roll: ) and he died in 5 seconds (same each time) and no one else died with one hateful tank and me MT for the entire fight.
Frickit

Postby Andox » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:41 am

We are in the situation where we are attempting to do Patchwerk asap. So I have some questions.

How is his strikes working? Everyone is telling me different. Some people say that the top HP targets will get hit by hit (They also say that we should dip the DPS in the slime to get them to 50% HP), other people say that HP don't matter, but the threat does. They say that the top 3 on aggrolist will get hit, nomatter what HP they have. Others say that the top 3 *WITH* the highest HP will get hit, ie. some DPS when the OT's just got some strikes.

Now I ask you, what is correct? Myself, I think that the strike will hit the top 3 on aggrolist, that sounds so much better than the top HP or top on aggro + HP.
Andox

Postby Martie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:02 am

Jeryia wrote:
Also, you don't need 36-34k HP on your hateful strike tanks. The hateful hit me for about 26-21k, unless you can get to at least 42k HP, more health won't help you much.

People keep saying stuff like this.
It's nonsense.

The more hp you have left over after a hatefull strike, the less healing you need to survive the next one.
If you don't get healed as much as you take damage, you die. More HP will only postpone that, but when healers want to catch up, more hp can buy them the extra time they need.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby Wolvar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:10 am

Hateful strike is applied each second to the person in the top 3? (in melee range) with the highest hitpoints. So your OT needs to generate a lot of threat and have a lot of hitpoints and have a lot of avoidance. Druids are exceptional for this role.

The reason the most hitpoints is helpful is that he doesn't need to be full health to still be higher than the rest of the melee. So a 40k hitpoint bear that takes a 21k hateful strike will only need about 10k in heals to be above your rogues for example and take the next one.

You want more healers on your OT than on your MT since you want to be able to control who the hateful strike hits. The only way to do this is to keep him at more health than everyone else.
Wolvar

Postby dmok » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:33 am

Andox wrote:We are in the situation where we are attempting to do Patchwerk asap. So I have some questions.

How is his strikes working? Everyone is telling me different. Some people say that the top HP targets will get hit by hit (They also say that we should dip the DPS in the slime to get them to 50% HP), other people say that HP don't matter, but the threat does. They say that the top 3 on aggrolist will get hit, nomatter what HP they have. Others say that the top 3 *WITH* the highest HP will get hit, ie. some DPS when the OT's just got some strikes.

Now I ask you, what is correct? Myself, I think that the strike will hit the top 3 on aggrolist, that sounds so much better than the top HP or top on aggro + HP.

Patchwerk hits the #2 or #3 on his threatlist in melee range with hateful strikes. The one he targets is the one with more health currently.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon