Remove Advertisements

[H] Nexus: Guide

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby TheBaldGuy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:54 pm

I hear yah. Thing is, I suspect many did as I did and discounted Sacred Shield. The tooltip is a bit lacking. It says it gives a chance to absorb 500 damage. However, it absorbs more based on spellpower. I've seen reports of up to 75% of your spellpower added (and possibly AP?). Note that if you do have a holy paladin w/you, have them cast it on you. :) Some holies have reported up to 1200 to 1400 damage absorption.
TheBaldGuy

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:40 pm

I now pretty much use Sacred Shield as one of my planned "filler" spells in my rotations. If it's not up, I've done something wrong.
Kelaan

Postby daemonym » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:28 am

just a few small tips also that helped me and any pugs i ran with do this place with ease.

anomalous:
blow up all portals and all adds as they spawn. it doesn't take much effort AT ALL to clear them out so no reason to have 8 adds on you aat once if it can be avoided by 5 seconds of dps.

grand magus chica:
high stam gear is a plus for this fight. if you plan to cc any of the spawns...DO NOT USE SEAL OF VENGEANCE! switch to light shortly before she splits or just have it on the whole fight to be safe. this way there won't be an 'oops' dot on the one you're going to control. i recommend cc the purple one asap so that you or your healer won't get sheeped. change auras liberally. start with fire, move to frost, back to fire. pvp trinket is nice as a back up if you get sheeped or to break from time stop, but not a must.

commander <name>:
pvp trinket is a GREAT thing on here for us pallys to break fear as it can lead to serious problems getting hit in the back with no heals.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby anrke » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Just to leave my experiences for others coming along..

I ran this for the first time today, as my first WotLK heroic. I had 21.7k unbuffed health, and 542 defense. My healer (priest) seemed to have a mixture of lvl 80 blues and 70 epics.

I think the fight which seemed most difficult was the horde commander dude. I only say that because our DK and Moonkin both got themselves killed to whirlwinds in the first 10 seconds of combat. Left to a mage, priest and myself to 3 man him whilst the other 2 ran back into the instance. At about 10% we then got feared too far down the corridor and brought a berserker and ranger into the fray! Epic battle, but we won :D

I ended up tanking all 3 copies of the Grand Magus. Mage wasn't quick enough with the sheep (don't even know if they tried) so I ended up dumping a consectrate. The priest died just as we were finishing off her second lot of splits, and moonkin filled in healing the last 10% - not that she was doing much damage at that stage.

Anomalous was as hectic as it felt on normal mode. Still, I made plenty of usage of consecrate and HotR (went OOM once) and trusted in the DPS. We got there with no deaths.

The rock giant dude was easy-sauce. I used Divine Protection on his enrage to play it safe.

End boss was easy-sauce too.
anrke

Postby zandoff » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:57 am

Ormorok the tree shaper is a walk in the park on heroic if the tank, healer and melee stand still right between his legs- this totally avoids the spikes- it has worked consistently several times now.

Tank Anomolous with your back to the back of the far side of the platform. This allows ranged DPS a good view of the spawns and prevents the healer getting a random one shot melee hit.
zandoff

Postby Tigermeat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:41 pm

i tried this the other night, and it was a disaster. We went left off the start, cleared to the horde commander dude, and wiped 4 times here. The first was acceptable, the whirlwind caught everyone unawares, one-shotted everyone but me. But the next 3...

I ended up tanking both him and the 2 healer adds. We dps'ed them down first, but man that whirlwind is evil. The rogue in our group died everytime, unlucky with the dodge i guess.

While we were recovering after this epic confrontation, I checked our healers gear. Hes decked out completely in lvl 70 gear, with a few green outland trinkets for spellpower. I mean, yes those epics are sweet, but not a single upgrade all the way to level 80...?

Anyways, we carry on to the Magus boss, and actually manage to down her on the first attempt. I was shocked, but kind of hoping our group chemistry was improving. We basically focused on the arcane mage, then the frost, then fire. Seemed to work ok.

We push on to Anomolus, and everyone says they know the fight, blah blah. We are doing really well until he hits about 15%, then the dps stops switching to the rifts, they start piling up and we wipe. I guess they smelled blood or something. At this point im tired, frustrated and absolutely positive that we will not down the end boss so i call it.

To all of you saying this is the easiest heroic out there, try it with a bunch of "damage meter?" rogues and mages who cant do anything but spam sinister strike and fireball, and wonder why they die when the attack outside the kill order. It was truly nightmarish....
Tigermeat

Postby TheBaldGuy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:16 pm

Tigermeat wrote:i tried this the other night, and it was a disaster. ...
To all of you saying this is the easiest heroic out there, try it with a bunch of "damage meter?" rogues and mages who cant do anything but spam sinister strike and fireball, and wonder why they die when the attack outside the kill order. It was truly nightmarish....

Do try to remember there is a difference between "easiest in the set" to "any group can faceroll it even if they are horribly geared. It is like describing three foot races, two of which are 26k and one is 10k, and saying the 10k is the easiest. Saying the 10k is the easiest does not mean I could grab 4 random joes from the local burger joint and go win the race.

It sounds like you had a really bad PUG. But imagine that group through something like Heroic Old Kingdom or Halls of Lightning, or Naxx. Sounds to me like that group was DTF from the beginning. Kidna like how I've taken to kicking or bailing on a PUG when the puggers start with things like "this'll be cake, gogogogogo". DTF: Doomed To Fail.

Ironically, I suspect they may have been able to pull off the last boss. Keri is basically stand to the side if you aren't the tank and jump/attack/heal. IMO it requires less coordination, thought, and effort than the Commander, the Magistrix, or Anomolus.
TheBaldGuy

Postby Tigermeat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:21 am

OK, so I feel I should post again because I had a successful run of this last night (and I provide the prot warrior perspective).

The guide says go left off the gun, and it is a more efficient route, but I have had bad luck with it, and since the huge rock boss is easier, I figured we would go that way, get an easy kill and boost the group morale for the tougher encounters.

The fight went really well. I could tell this group was way more switched on than my last group wipefest. Healers mana never went below 50%, nobody freaked out, boss dropped nothing for me (im used to that now)

Then we swept through to anomalus. The mage in our group showed me that you can range dps those rifts down in the trash pulls without aggroing the dragonking guys. I did not know this, nifty trick.

Anamolus was a pain as usual, but we managed to down him first attempt. The dps was on the ball and switched to rifts as soon as they spawned. I basically dps'ed the boss while spamming thunderclap to grab any loose adds wandering around, looking for the clothies.

After that, we make our way to the mage boss. The trash here is 4 man pulls, with a few pats to watch out for. Its easy to miss the pats as they have a really long pat route. Also, the pats consist of one caster and two hounds. The caster can do an ice-block type spell, usually on the tank, which acts as an aggro dump (since you become immune to damage, the mobs switch to new targets). Our mage died in this fashion, as the ice-block lasts 7 seconds or so.

The mage boss was a dirty fight as well. Our mage died again but he was good natured about it. We basically dps'ed the arcane mage first, then the frost mage. I use shield bash as it has a 4 second silence to maneuver one of the images close to another so I can at least aoe to a certain extent. Also, I use heroic throw, which also silences, if they happen to kite me while Im frozen. She dropped a nice tanking helmet with a meta-socket on it. Im not sure how much better it is than my current but whatever.

Now we head down to the horde commander dude. This boss is ruthless. We wiped on our first crack as he was aggroed unintentionally. The melee mobs in the frozen hall or whatever do a knockback attack, which can shoot you into the other groups. Bad news.

Our next attempt was good. I drag the commander into the doorway that we came in on. Near 50% he fears and as I pop berserker rage I watch our hunter running towards the mobs at the other end of the corridor. Im thinking "omg wtf ffs " but, much to my gleeful amazement, he pops shadowmeld, breaks aggro, and basically saves the day. We manage to win the encounter, but I must warn you, his whirlwind will one shot anyone not in plate. Im sure its in the previous posts, but watch out. It can be avioded, but you need to be super fast and move out of range.

Killed the dragon with almost no problems. I died at the very end but the group finished the fight with style. I was very proud of our run, I would have to say the horde commander and anomalus are the most difficult. Hope to never set foot in this place again.
Tigermeat

Postby Passionario » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:13 am

What is the best route to take through this instance?

I ask because, while we have no problems with the fights themselves, each run feels infernally long - probably due to suboptimal pathing.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby majiben » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:19 am

Personally I take the right path.

Rock-> Arcane -> Mage-> Commander-> Center boss.

Isn't that much more inefficient if any and it's the path I'm familiar with.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Threatco » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:39 am

Go clockwise. If you pay attention you will see that you can skip a lot.

I marked the path on the map (sorry dont know who I stole it form)

I put a violet circular marks on the map where I remember there being mobs that you are skipping.

Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby majiben » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:02 am

I see 2-4 packs of mobs skipped (including single pulls which I just tank with an aoe pack anyways). I also like the Opposite path better because I don't ever need to fight uphill i.e. I can always see the pats coming easily.

/shrug

It's a pretty small difference. Also I'm sure if you were feeling brave you could skip a lot of the packs in the crystal forest area.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Threatco » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 am

I make my group skip everything possible.

I would say the biggest reason for clockwise is the one way path leading from rock boss back to the center.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Annadin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 am

The melee mobs in the frozen hall or whatever do a knockback attack, which can shoot you into the other groups. Bad news.

I seem to spend most of my time* tanking in WotLK fighting across corridors with my back to a side wall. That way the horde berserkers' knockbacks just dump melee dps and pesky pets into the opposite wall.

The horde rangers can be deadzone-kited back to your group too.

There is no reason to struggle in this corridor from either direction if people are on their toes: fight at the entrance, don't follow me I'm just dragging the hunter back, follow the kill order, avoid the w/w, don't panic :D

*apart from the times I'm stunned or sheeped :lol:
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Re: [H] Nexus: Guide

Postby Zaluthar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:35 am

For the last boss: don't jump, but strafe left/right. Jumping takes a longer time before you can do your next move.
Zaluthar

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats