Remove Advertisements

Soloing content possible with heroic/badge gear?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Soloing content possible with heroic/badge gear?

Postby Femme » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:27 am

Dear tankadins,

I have been reading this forum quite a lot lately and decided to create an account because I need your help.

I started Wotlk playing as a DK, I was 80 pretty fast and I liked the fact that I could solo bosses like onyxia and a few in ZG. Though there are tons of DK's in my guild at the moment so playing one is not that fun anymore. We are short of healers and I still have my paladin at 70, so I was thinking of leveling my paladin but I do not want to give up the ability to solo old content bosses. So I decided to take a look at the solo skills of a protection paladin and I was shocked !!!

The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?
How much money can you make soloing old raid bosses?

I'm really looking forward to level my paladin to 80 and start working down the list. But since i'm going to heal in PVE probably I will have gear problems for protection. My current guild is raiding on days I most of the time can't join because of work or other reaosons. Leaving would be an option, but most of my friends are in the same guild so I don't really concider that as an option.

I have been looking at the gear list in the following topic:
WOTLK Boss Tanking Gear Progression List

Head:Tempered Titansteel Helm
Neck:Titanium Earthguard Chain
Shoulder:Wapach's Spaulders of Solidarity
Cloak:Durable Nerubhide Cape
Chest:Heroes' Redemption Breastplate
Wrist:Bracers of the Herald
Hands:Heroes' Redemption Handguards
Waist:Waistguard of Living Iron
Legs:Bolstered Legplates
Feet:Tempered Titansteel Treads
Ring1:Titanium Earthguard Ring
Ring2:Keystone Great-Ring
Trinket1:Figurine - Monarch Crab
Trinket2:Essence of Gossamer
Weapon:Red Sword of Courage
Shield:Royal Crest of Lordaeron

Personally I think I should be able to collect the gear listed above. My question is will this be enough to solo onyxia, zg and perhaps some bosses in aq20 and mc. I know that I need fire resistance for some bosses etc. But what do you think ?

My professions at this moment are JC and Enchanting which I think are both pretty nice for pve/pvp and soloing content. But i'm willing to drop one if it will give me a lot more benefit.

Thanks in advance !

Best regards, Femme
Femme

Postby Seraphyna » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:12 am

Personally, I was able to go Jindo and Arlokk in ZG, Ony, and Kurrinaxx, Rajaxx and Moam in AQ20 in some rather shoddy gear, mostly made up from quest rewards, and some crafted. At the time, my avoidance wasn't all that crash hot, and I was still crittable when I first did Ony, and I didn't really have too many problems.

I did give Garr in MC a shot about a week back, but I didn't have any success, mostly because I wasn't really prepared for it. With that set, you should be able to do at least the same bosses as I have. Prior knowledge of the encounters is helpful in most cases, so read up about them or watch a video before you go.

Just remember when you are soloing old-world bosses to switch your judgements / seals, or stop to throw yourself a heal as the situation calls, and if you do die, don't let it dishearten you. Learn what you could have done better, and give it another go. Other than that, stick with my mentality (and I'm assuming the mentality of the pioneers who first went and did this), and that's just to go ahead and give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Good luck!
Seraphyna

Postby amh » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:18 am

Seraphyna wrote:Prior knowledge of the encounters is helpful in most cases, so read up about them or watch a video before you go.

This helps a lot, yeah. Also be prepared to spend quite a while :)

40 people at level 60 > level 80 tankadin in terms of dps
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby viperas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Im also in mostly quested blues with a few heroic blues/epics here and there.

Ony is CAKE, seriously. If your gear is closer to mine than it is to full 25 man naxx you may need to keep more aware of your surroundings but still easy enough.

ZG can be easy on some bosses. Fish boss is EZ mode as long as you can fish and stay in water. Panther boss is also cake, just watch the durability on your shield. Raptor boss takes some time and mental effort. First time I soloed him I had to pull out EVERY pally trick I could think of every singly time they were up. As you learn the fight it gets better though. The MC totem boss is easy but he seems to reset for me at ~30%, if anyone knows how to stop that it would help me :). Spider boss is also easily doable. Not as easy as fish/panther but still cake.

If you are stealthy and read the VERY helpful guide posted here on these forums: (http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... 4d57b5f064) Garr is easy IMO. Hardest part was getting to him by far. My 1st try on him I pulled him with a corehound went into a panic thinking I was screwed but he was easy.

So with gear below the gear you listed all the ones I have listed are doable. I also have Magmadar and Lucifron on farm but those are a good step up in dificulty and Magmadar requires a high FR set (think Im at 300 with aura) If you plan on doing MC just keep an eye out for any Northrend plate that is 'of Fire Protection', thats all I used.

Last point: I have to credit Taragon for this but using the spec he recomended helped me a LOT with soloing things. Using the normal tanking prot build works but its not quite as useful as http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xiA0zLtxZxf0tbIzfMc IMO. The mana returns help so much. I just use that spec with a http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37169 as a weapon so my heals heal a bit more.

EDIT: Figured Id post my armory so you can see. If the pants look bad then Im in my high BV solo set but its clost to my solo instance set, just switch weapons to the one I linked http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Viperajs
viperas

Postby Seraphyna » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:25 pm

viperas wrote:The MC totem boss is easy but he seems to reset for me at ~30%, if anyone knows how to stop that it would help me :).

Where do you tank this boss? I tank him in the skeleton pit, and I haven't had any problems with him doing a full reset so far. I know that when you come out of the MC, he evades for a short while, but I generally hit him with a judgement or ShoR and he re-engages me without resetting his HP.

I will admit, it does look rather amusing when you get MC'd and he goes back to doing his /dance.

Edit for spelling, I just woke up and my brain doesn't want to work :(
Seraphyna

Postby Femme » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:42 am

Thanks for the quick replies! I better start leveling then ;)

About the fire resistance part, do you scan the AH from time to time or just the drops you find while questing in Norhtrend ? I personally have not seen any piece of +fire resistance while leveling my Deathknight to 80.

It will be a long way, but at least it is something to look forward too and perhaps I will beat our tanks so I can become a maintankadin ;)
Femme

Postby Arca » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 am

Femme wrote:Thanks for the quick replies! I better start leveling then ;)

About the fire resistance part, do you scan the AH from time to time or just the drops you find while questing in Norhtrend ? I personally have not seen any piece of +fire resistance while leveling my Deathknight to 80.

It will be a long way, but at least it is something to look forward too and perhaps I will beat our tanks so I can become a maintankadin ;)

Generally plate fire resist gear is scarce on the AH for just this kind of reason. People want to experiment with their 80 tankadins. Unfortunately... most of the less inform use the FR gear for things like.. Ony.

I suggest a back piece (wyrmrest honored is good) with +20 FR, a back up helm (I use the one from Moorabi/Gundrak) with a FR sticker and 2-3 pieces from the olde badge gear, its a bit low on stam, but has superior FR numbers.
Arca

Postby viperas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Seraphyna wrote:
viperas wrote:The MC totem boss is easy but he seems to reset for me at ~30%, if anyone knows how to stop that it would help me :).

Where do you tank this boss? I tank him in the skeleton pit, and I haven't had any problems with him doing a full reset so far. I know that when you come out of the MC, he evades for a short while, but I generally hit him with a judgement or ShoR and he re-engages me without resetting his HP.

I will admit, it does look rather amusing when you get MC'd and he goes back to doing his /dance.

Edit for spelling, I just woke up and my brain doesn't want to work :(

I usually tank him around where you agro him. Ill try it in the pit this time, thanks much.

As for the FR gear, I got all mine on the AH over the span of about 2 weeks. Every morning when I do my daily AH scan I would search 'Of fire' and look for any plate above level 71.
viperas

Return to General Strats