[H] The Culling of Stratholme - Timer Achievement?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:56 pm

Kracus wrote:I'm disappointed that they changed the 3rd boss so he doesn't whirldance :\

He does. Just if your DPS is high enough he'll die before he does it.
Flex

Postby xstrykr » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:02 pm

ARogers wrote:Is there a better trick? As soon as the waves start, we rush to them and kill them asap. Then of course arthas runs to the inn. We start him and kill the waves of 3-4 mobs through the inn. Then we kill Epoch boss, then I pulled the gauntlet before the last boss in 2 pulls.

My general rule of thumb is this: 5 min to kill Meathook, 5 min to kill the Necromancer dude, 2 min to get Arthas to the Town Hall and starting the Infinite Dragonkin part, 4-5 min to kill Chrono-Lord Epoch, and that leaves you 4-5 min to chain-pull (pull the next elite or two when your current one has ~25% health) through the gauntlet and with 3+ min remaining to down the Corruptor. Pull him back towards Arthas' direction some, that'll give you an extra second or two if he's at ~1% and he starts to break for the portal.

Pop CDs on 1st and 3rd boss. If you've got a mage with you, FN is awesome for you to ensure you keep aggro on the later waves that have Acolytes or have 5 mobs in (usually the ones with 2 ghouls, a necromancer, and two spiders), or an Unholy DK that has the DnD glyph does the same. Spam HW whenever you can also, it helps with DPS.

Yeah, the closer your spawns are, the more time you save and can make up for fail DPS, but a fairly well geared group can still do it even if they have to run back and forth from King's Square Fountain to the Town Hall between every wave.
xstrykr

Postby sanguineraven » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:48 am

I don't really see how anyone can find it hard to make the timer. I don't consider myself particularly well skilled or geared but apart from my first Strat Heroic run (when my shield dropped), I have made the timer the other 6-7 times I have run it. I am wearing 80 blues, a couple of badge pieces and a single Naxx 10-man drop. I have been with lots of different healers / DPS and am often 1st or 2nd in overall damage done. It just doesn't seem that tight a timer.

Actually, I do lie. There was one time I missed it. Typically, it was the only time I've PUG'ed it and answered "LF Tank for Timed Strat!" in trade with a "is your group good?", I had to elaborate that by good I meant I didn't want to top damage done. Sure enough, I topped I topped damage done and pulled Corruptor with 1-2mins left on the timer. He was on 5% when he went back into the portal. Would still have made it too if the clueless hunter wasn't stood by Arthas speaking in party saying "come" and trying to get us to go Malganis while we were all squeezing out last drops of DPS to try and get him down in time.
sanguineraven

Postby thejuice » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:56 am

ok, i have a question about the exact path to take to get to the corruptor, and i've drawn some crude maps to help out:
after killing the first two bosses and meeting arthas at the inn entrance, i could see the corruptor and a portal through the gate to the left(big red arrow), but the gate was closed.
so my question is, do you have to go through the whole part with the infinites in the inn first, then meet the corruptor later down teh road, as in here:
after you fight the undead in the street with arthas, and you come to the gate to crusader's square, do you go left?(the big red Q mark)

i ask because i've only done H strat once, got the shield, and never had the desire to return, and i'd like to have some more knowledge of the exact path the next time i go in.
thejuice

Postby Cearn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:19 am

your graphics are correct - follow the question mark
Cearn

Postby Aurelie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:44 am

I got a kick out of your maps, but yup, go to the giant red "?" and you'll find him, provided you're on time ^_-
Aurelie
Maintankadonor

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:20 am

Generally, what kind of group dps do you think you need?

I ask this because my PuG dps is sorely lacking (like in the 4500 range total including me).

I did find a DK last night in a PuG that renewed my hopes. Doing 2k on UK. I'll try to group with him, but wanted to see what you guys are generally seeing in your timed runs.

I know it's about tactics and strategy; however, at some point, if you can't dps quick enough, you aren't going to get it done.
Doogiehowser

Postby Wolvar » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 am

You need about 6-7k group dps minimum. Pick hunters and mages.

You also neeed to charge the final gauntlet, round up 4ish elites and ae. Don't take them one at a time. Make sure your healer knows not to stop until you do and don't miss any as you run through. Put some kinda damage on each elite as you pass.
Last edited by Wolvar on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolvar

Postby Epimer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 am

Doogiehowser wrote:Generally, what kind of group dps do you think you need?

Maybe somewhere around 5.5-6k total from your DPS plus whatever you yourself bring. When my (fluid) group started getting the timer, it was way easier to bring 2 AoE classes (mage and warlock) to speed things along, but now we're managing with no problems with hunter (ok, volley is cheating...), enhance shaman and rogue (getting good use out of Fan of Knives!). Abuse Consecrate and Holy Wrath to up your own contribution and it's fine.
Epimer

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:50 am

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been in a group with that much dps.

Thanks for the replies. Good luck to all with your drake hunt!
Doogiehowser

Postby Shathus » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:07 am

Just to give more info. Did it this morning (and won the drake yay), Group was myself tanking, 2 DKs, a feral druid and resto shammy.

DKs were doing about 2.5 and 2.1 DPS, druid was around 1.2k, and 1.3k myself. We finished with maybe 2+ minutes left on the timer.

Definitely fun running through that last halfway to the red ? in the above map and breakneck speed to make sure we finish in enough time.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:44 am

Yesterday we did Zombiefest and got a Bronze Dragon, but no one needed it.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Zoltar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Have completed it 8 times and been out rolled on the drake each time :/ They always say "I'll come back to help you get yours" but oddly enough they seem busy when I am putting together runs. Kinda sucks as i can't stack the team with people that have drakes.

Fastest to date was reaching the dragon boss with 6 mins still on the timer. Group consisted of:-

Me (tankadin)
Fury warrior
Unholy DK
Lock
Holy priest
Zoltar

Postby doeda » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:43 am

i did the timer with just 4minutes to spare, that is, when we got to the boss. took us about a minute and half to kill the crono dragon.

just a self check what kind of dps should the dps be pushing out?
i was out dps'ing our mage last night by about 500 dps (tankadin)..roughly ~1600vs~1550 dps difference? while the rogue and warrior were almost breaking 1.9k dps
doeda

Postby Balerion » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:56 am

I was basically thrown to the wolves and forced into tanking this my first time running CoS (normal or heroic). So far, I'm 2 for 2 timed runs. This isn't a credit to my intellect, abilities, or gear (all of which are lacking). It's more a compliment to the folks I did this with and the clear explanation the experienced people provided prior to running it.

Some tips I found helpful:

- BOSanctuary was great to keep your mana up with minimal rest.
- Explain everything ahead of time to everyone.
- Chain pull elites; Getting a mob to 30% then pulling the next elite at range moved things along.
- Know where the dragonspawn mobs will spawn in the inn and be ready for them.
- Don't talk to Arthas before the last bosses, just run up and engage the dragon and burn him down.
- Roll higher than everyone else in group on your drake.
Balerion

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats