Remove Advertisements

[10] Malygos phase 3

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Mex » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:45 am

This phase is a pet peeve of mine. It is hands down the easiest part of any encounter in the game. I am honestly at a loss to explain how so many of my guildies perform so poorly on it. All it requires is for people to pay a little bit of attention, and spam a certain rotation ad infinitum. Some points ...

1) 2 healers is plenty, provided that they know what they're doing.

2) You shouldn't need to shield ever.

3) 3 or more ticks of the static field is too many.

4) DPS should use a 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2 rotation, starting with a 1, 2.

5) Healers should build 5 combo points on themselves then hit their aoe heal.

6) The group should stay clumped tightly, at max range.

The DPS part is simple. 95%+ of your damage should come from the dot (finishing move). You want to use it as often as possible. It does a fixed amount of damage, regardless of CPs. CPs only affect the duration. The trick then, is to use the minimum number of CPs required to keep the dot up long enough to build more CPs, and reapply the dit. This number is 2 CPs. The dot stacks, and the duration is refreshed with each application. You want to stack it as high as possible, as fast as possible. DO NOT SHIELD. If you take the time to shield, your stack will fall off. Maly's focus beam will not kill you if your healers are playing properly.

The healing part is simple too. All heals are AoE. It doesn't matter how many people are taking how much damage, as long as they don't die from it (which is only possible with the combination of 3+ static field hits and a full focus beam). The amount of time it takes Malygos to cast a focus beam is plenty of time for 2 healers to top the entire raid up from 1%->100%. One person getting focus beamed repeatedly is not an excuse for death.

You can see Malygos cast the static field. He shoots it from his mouth, and it looks like a big ball of lightning. As soon as you see it heading towards you, start strafing. The rest of the group should be strafing as well. By the time it lands and starts doing damage, you should already be halfway out of its range. 2 ticks is all you should ever take.

Stay tightly clumped, make sure healers are outputting max HPS, and dpsers are building their stacks as fast as possible. Ideally, since there are 0 class / gear differences here, everybody should finish with equal damage / healing.

Executed properly, P3 should take no longer than 60 seconds.
Mex

Postby Jasari » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:41 am

My guild is having a lot of trouble on P3 of this fight and I was hoping to get some help here.

The main problem we have is that people are dying left and right. We're able to get to the phase with about 2:20-2:30 left on enrage which sounds like enough time to get him down. However people are dying left and right.

I'm intrigued reading the comments of a few people who say that if healers focus heal them self to 5 combo points and then AOE heal, that it should be enough to keep people alive during the focus without needing to use the shield. I was wondering if I can get anyone else to confirm this strat: stacking up, have DPS focus purely on DPS and ignore shields while the healers just worry about spamming their AOE heal. Keep in mind I'm talking about 10 man so the focus beam doesn't do as much damage as 25 man.

My thinking is that what happens is some of the healers get focused and stop healing to shield themselves. When this happens other people start dying. If they just hot themselves, they should definitely not die to the focus beam and by having the huge AOE heal go off constantly I'm hoping everyone else can stay alive too.

I know a couple people have implied that this strat could work, I was hoping to see if other people have successfully done the same thing?
Jasari

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 am

Jasari,

Pick 2 people in your 10 man. Tell them to do nothing whatsoever except keep their 5 stack on themselves and hit the AoE heal every time they have enough energy. Game over.

Seriously, that's it. Nobody shields, or does really anything but either heal or not let their engulf drop, and everybody strafes together when he shoots the lightning clouds.

It's ultimately trivial with 2 people healing the entire group this way. We've done it this way every time.
Ashmadai

Postby Jasari » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:51 am

Ashmadai wrote:Jasari,

Pick 2 people in your 10 man. Tell them to do nothing whatsoever except keep their 5 stack on themselves and hit the AoE heal every time they have enough energy. Game over.

Seriously, that's it. Nobody shields, or does really anything but either heal or not let their engulf drop, and everybody strafes together when he shoots the lightning clouds.

It's ultimately trivial with 2 people healing the entire group this way. We've done it this way every time.

Thanks a lot, that's exactly the straight forward response I was hoping for.

Hopefully Malygos dies tonight!
Jasari

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:27 am

No problem, and good luck. =) It becomes really easy once you've gotten it once or twice and everybody gets a feel for it. The hardest thing seems to be getting people to not let their stacks of engulf drop off, which makes no sense to me. I always link recount after with pets unmerged and taunt the lowest DPS from phase 3. =P
Ashmadai

Postby Mex » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Soulcatcher wrote:Have killed this 10 man a couple of times now, thought I would offer you guys some advice.

2 dedicated healers. Here is how healers do it, you stack up five of the healing hots on yourself, or a target you are gonna focus on. YOU HAVE TO stay on that target to keep your combo points up, so it is easiest to just do it on yourself. Once you have 5 combo points up, you use the big heal. Then you cast one combo point heal, then use the big heal.

The way this works is the big heal is an aoe heal, so your entire group must remain close together, the combo points from the hot heal do not go away as long as you keep the hot up, so you refresh it once between the aoe heal casts.

This isn't correct. The AoE heal _does_ consume combo points, and the most efficient energy:healing done ratio comes from a 5 stack, then finisher. The only time you'd ever use a less-than-5 point heal is if someone in the raid group was going to die before you'd be able to build up enough CPs for a 5pt heal.

3,3,3,3,3,4 ad infinitum. Win.
Mex

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:48 pm

Yeah, I think Soulcatcher was getting confused because he doesn't see the 5 stack of revivify fall off the healer when they do the finisher. This doesn't mean it's not using the combo points. The points are independent of the stack. So you still do 5 then the finisher, repeating that.
Ashmadai

Postby Jasari » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on Malygos. We downed him on our 2nd try of the new strat.
Jasari

Postby Mex » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Congrats :)

As an aside, while I enjoy the Malygos fight, and think it's a bit of an interesting take on the standard P1 fight boss, P2 fight adds, dynamic, it's sort of annoyed me how easy he is.

Mostly from a lore perspective, like this guy is supposed to be a dragon aspect, one of the most powerful creatures on the face of the earth etc. Then hay you plus 9 mates rock up and kill him.

The whole thing seems kinda swung in from left field from a lore perspective, especially as we saw the blue dragonflight so recently in Sunwell Plateau.
Mex

Postby Jasari » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:57 am

Mex wrote:Congrats :)

As an aside, while I enjoy the Malygos fight, and think it's a bit of an interesting take on the standard P1 fight boss, P2 fight adds, dynamic, it's sort of annoyed me how easy he is.

Mostly from a lore perspective, like this guy is supposed to be a dragon aspect, one of the most powerful creatures on the face of the earth etc. Then hay you plus 9 mates rock up and kill him.

The whole thing seems kinda swung in from left field from a lore perspective, especially as we saw the blue dragonflight so recently in Sunwell Plateau.

I enjoyed the fight, and while while I don't pay any attention to the lore aspect of it, my main criticism is how gimmicky it is.

I like the fact that virtually no one is going to go in there and one shot him without learning the fight and figuring out what to do. But I think it's kind of lame that the vortexes are basically designed specifically to have a CoH priest and/or WG druid. I'm fine with AOE damage and it being harder for paladins to heal, but something where you basically need to have an instant cast, AOE heal or anyone with <20k health will die is a little absurd for a 10 man. Other than that I really like the design of the fight, it makes healers work, tests DPS classes ability to put out big numbers, and a tanks ability to move around an position a boss in the middle of a fight.
Jasari

Postby Belloc » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:14 pm

Most everything has already been said, but here's what worked for our first kill.

We went with an every man for himself strategy, and I was able to keep myself fully hotted and keep my dot stack up. People were spread all around. Movement was, of course, a necessity.

I started by giving myself a 5 hot stack, and then doing 1, 1, 85 energy, 2. I, then, immediately refreshed my 5 hot stack (which was 1-2 seconds from expiring), and started the 1, 1, 85 energy, 2 again. I was able to keep this up until I made a mistake with my shield.

I did get focused at one point, which didn't kill me. I didn't use my shield until after the focus had finished (since I wasn't paying enough attention). I could see using the shield being required under certain conditions, but it wasn't bad for me.
Belloc

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon