[10]Sapphiron - frost resist

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10]Sapphiron - frost resist

Postby Arjuna » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:37 am

Ok, I thought we had a thread about this but i couldn't find it, sorry, I blame society...

Ok, question:
My guild will soon progress into the lair of sapphiron, and i have started to get questions about frost resistance gear. How much frost resistance gear do my raiders need to have on themselves if we usually go with 3 good healers? 0 or like, 1-2 pieces+aura?

The question have probably been answered already, but I couldn't find it and appreciate another answer :)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby majiben » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:06 am

Honestly just what your aura provides.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Fizzgig » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:21 pm

3 healers + aura and me judging light makes the fight pretty trivial if you've got people that can stay out of a blizzard and people that can decurse properly.
Fizzgig

Postby Poneress » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:16 pm

As the Main Tank, we have a Pally use Frost Aura, and I wear 1 piece of Frost Gear. Sometimes Two, just make it a little easier on the healers.

This fight, as I'm sure you know, is just an endurance fight, nothing more. So long as ppl know where there standing (for blizzard/cleave/tailswipe) its basically a guar drop.
Poneress

Postby Doktah » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 pm

We either use frost aura or nothing at all. The fight is simple aslong as people arent stupid and get cleaved or stand in the blizzard. Aslong as you dont have tards in your raid you will be fine.
Doktah

Postby Ocin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:20 pm

I keep reading on other sites that it's recommended that you keep Sapphiron turned towards KT's entrance. Is there a reason to do that?
Ocin

Postby Doktah » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Ocin wrote:I keep reading on other sites that it's recommended that you keep Sapphiron turned towards KT's entrance. Is there a reason to do that?

Never heard any reason why it matters. Positioning is important but having to face KT shouldnt make any difference. I normally just keep him facing East so the raid has all of the south section to move around in.
Doktah

Postby Jobah » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Frost resistance makes this fight 100 times easier. You dont need the frost resistance, but its alot of stress on the healers if you dont have it. People are easy to keep up during the ground phase, as long as the healers can keep their mana pools up the ground phase is easy w/o any frost resistance. Its phase 2 that can get tricky. You dont have judgement of light helping heal... if a healer gets ice blocked problems will most likely present themself. potions and healthstones are made for these kind of situations... but im just saying, its a shitload easier with frost resistance.

If you're a more casual guild like mine id say require 2 pieces of frost resistance. Dont listen to these other people on here who say "its easy without frost restistance", cuz its not. Using frost restistance and 1 shotting saph is much better for guild morale than coming in and wiping on him. Once you get more comfortable with the fight start removing your resist gear
Jobah

Postby Jobah » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:16 pm

About the positioning... it doesnt matter which way you face him as long as healers/dps are standing out of tail swipe and cleave range, and his cleave is alot alot alot bigger than you would expect. If you think you're safe you probably arent.
Jobah

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:01 am

I've done this with 3 strong healers and had it be pretty easy with just the Frost Resist Aura.

This week, we did it with 3 healers who were not geared to the same degree as week 1 and we wiped a million times. We did also have some issues with blizzards and the occasional cleave.

I conclude that to do it with no frost resist gear, you need 3 pretty well-geared, solid healers, and people who can stay out of the blizzard, etc. I know that doesn't sound like much to ask, but I was very surprised we could not get him down the second week.
Fedaykin98

Postby Spectrum » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:34 pm

Went in with a PUG and lost a healer. It was sad times. Without frost resist I think you want to run with three healers.

Thing is, we can do the rest of the instance easily with only two healers, but it seems we need three to handle all the raid damage on Sapphiron. Perhaps frost resist would help there.

This fight requires that you maintain basically a stead amount of HPS for a long time. So really, if you have healers who can't put out those numbers when on the move, then you're screwed. Frost resist will help bring down those numbers, but only so much. I'd probably rather just heal through it all.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Keep in mind too, the resistance pieces are stronger now. It's not like Molten Core where each item had 7 to 20 FR and you had to absolutely gut your performance to get halfway-decent protection.

You can get 170 frost resistance just from the boots and belt. Load them up with Enduring gems, you'll barely see a hiccup in your defense.

"Healing-intensive fight" doesn't mean you do status quo and expect the healers to suddenly grow another 600 spell power. It means you do absolutely every damn thing you can manage to cut down your damage taken.
Arcand

Postby Salamandra » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:40 pm

But it's not really a healing intensive fight. I did it fairly soon after release with 2 healers while totally forgetting to put on the aura thereby getting the achievement.

If your healers can't handle it without having more frost resistance than the aura, they're either not very good, or people are hugging blizzards.
Salamandra

Postby majiben » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 pm

People getting out of blizzards is likely the biggest drop in healing requirements.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby smeej » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 am

First time fighting this guy tonight, and yeah, you really don't need any +frost res outside of the aura. The one and only issue this fight presents is raid positioning and mobility. Should be a pushover more often than not.
smeej

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon