[H] Gun'Drak

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Gun'Drak

Postby MilaMan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Was just curious why no one had done a full guide on this one yet?

Guildie hunter wants some gloves in there, but I'm wary of trying any WoTLK Heroics without my handy-dandy maintankadin forum guides..

So....

Please help?

Or am I retarded and just completely missed the thread on this one? (yes I saw the thread for first boss, but the other guides are much more thorough and all-encompassing, so I'd like to see something like that)

tyvm,

Mike
MilaMan

Postby Charie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:35 pm

Second boss: Don't stand in the purple stuff, he drops aggro when he changes from rock guy to purple elemental guy and vice versa.

Third Boss: Tank and spank.

Eeck: His trash drops aggro randomly. He is pretty much tank and spank.

Last boss is pretty much tank and spank, he has a mini enrage that can be dispelled with tranq shot and rogue posion. Make sure the person that gets impaled gets a few heals.
Charie

Postby Amshel » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:52 pm

I tried H Gun'drak a few days ago. Wiped many times on each boss except for the Mammoth boss who is just a tank and spank.

It honestly is not a hard instance if you have smart people. I did not have smart people.

S'lasalad the snakeman - If your group won't try a strat to avoid the green snakes tank it near the doorway the snakes come in through, have melee dps run out of nova, cleanse a lot, use the /cancelaura snake wrap macro. I believe this boss only has a little over 300k hp's.

Golem/Water Elemental - Agro drop every time he splits/merges.

If you've got a lot of melee the water elemental is going to hurt as he drops a purple aura under him that does 700ish damage and he drops it a lot, kiting is pretty difficult if your melee can't avoid standing in it. He also does a Surge/charge.

Golem is a tank and spank, he does do a MS and hit like a golem but otherwise nothing fancy.

Mammoth guy - You can interrupt his spell when he tries to change into a mammoth and if he does change into a mammoth, its still just a tank and spank. Keep your back to the wall.

Rhino Boss - Avoid his whirlwind, BoP on healer if impaled, everyone should stand close enough to not get hit by his charge as it can one shot.

But we quit after a few wipes on last boss.
Amshel

Postby daemonym » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:58 am

IN DEPTH WALL 'O TEXT!

just did this instance last night for the first time, never even did it on normal mode. also, none of the other 4 pugs knew wtf we were supposed to do either so it took us about 90 minutes to do and wiped 3-4 times. but even 20g in repairs and lots of time considered, it was fun as hell for me, first time i felt legitimately challenged in a while. here's how it all went down.

group comp was:
tankadin (me)
resto shaman
unholy DK (one that didn't need to l2p and l2notrollonmytankinglewts)
hunter (guessing MM spec)
TG fury warrior

our gear was a liberal blend of heroic blues, crafted epics, rep items, and a few scattered naxx drops through the group (none on me).

trash:
nothing special, kill anything with a mana bar first and go to town with your bad aoe self.

Slad'ran the Snake boss:
i made this macro for my self for starters

/cast shield of righteousness
/startattack
/cancelaura Snake Wrap

put it on my bar bound to number 2 and spammed it the entire time, still got wrapped towards the end once (pvp trinket helps lots). first we tried tanking him in the door way, with healer across the small pond and this didn't work at all. so after we wipe i decide to tank him in the center of the room. when you see him start to cast his poison nova (3.5 second cast) run like hell to out range it. with that long of a cast this shouldn't be difficult, but if you get hit chances are you wipe. this worked well for us as we had plenty of room to maneuver and the dps could see the loose snakes much much faster and burn them down asap.

i prioritized consecration > holy shield > everything else. this way i could be sure to have consecrate running at all times to pick up all the snakes i could and HS to drop their damage to nothing when i block. they might be non elites, but i had about 15 on me at one point so be mindful, obviously big aoe helps when they pile up, otherwise just focus on the boss. if the healer gets aggro have them run to your consecrate or just stand behind the boss if they can run from the nova fast enough.spamming RD is a must at points and if they get piled up too fast, BoP your healer and go to town. their HP isn't as high as the normal heroic boss so just pewpew as fast as possible. not much to the fight aside form a damage race before the adds get entirely out of control.

Drakkari Colossus:
MS debuff of 75% so your healer will have to be on the ball to top you off once it wears off. i put on my big stam gear here just to be safe from the MS debuff, but i found it wasn't entirely necessary. what i did was i threw my shield and just tanked and spanked where he stood while they're a golem. after some damage (or time) they turn into an elemental, then just restart your rotation while kiting him in a slow circle around where he spawns at so your melee dps (if any) can see the purple goo and can move out from it. in heroic they spawn rather fast so you'll end up running out of room and will have to look around for "clean spots" better dps means less time to worry about the whole floor being covered. if you keep moving the elemental around the fight is quite easy.

Moorabi:
as a troll, it's nothing special, just tank and spank it. casts a spell to turn into a mammoth with a 4ish second cast, interrupt this as much as possible. in my group we interrupted it twice and he still got to cast it. have your back to a wall to avoid the knock backs. when mammoth form comes, hit an avoidance trinket or something of that nature, not too challenging.

Eck the Ferocious:
this boss and the trash before him randomly clears all aggro and jumps across the room to another target and starts attacking them. however it isn't a 'focus' so you can build threat again or taunt and back to normal. he also has a frontal aoe spit (get hit with this to get a "debuff" and kill the last boss for an achievement. the debuff lasts an hour and does nothing, but will be removed by divine shield or death so keep that in mind if trying for it). apparently he also has a hard enrage that'll wipe your group after about 90 seconds, or so i read at least as we didn't see it luckily. what we did was i tanked him where he stood and the group piled up directly behind him. this way when he drops aggro you don't have to run after him and can just hit ShoR or taunt and go back to business as usual. when he got low i used bubble wall just to be safe if the enrage actually happened. just keep the group close by and him facing away from them and it's cake.

Gal'darah:
if your group isn't fast on its feet you won't be killing this boss without a large amount of luck. i put on as much stam gear as i could for this fight due to the potentially devastating hits and put a raid marker on myself. as a troll, he has a decent melee hit and summons untargetable rhinos that will charge a random player for medium damage and knock back a good distance then poof away. also has a whirlwind that will badly hurt anybody in cloth or leather. so during troll form have everybody spread out and away from you so they won't get hit. however our warrior didn't seem to take too much damage from it to be a problem if they stayed to dps a few moments.

then he turns into a rhino himself, this is where it gets interesting. health goes up by 300% and damage done by 50%(?). when he does transform you want your whole group to stand right on top of you. he has an attack that will hit for 34k on a random player, BUT it has a dead zone so if you're up close it can't target anybody. unfortunately he has a thunderclap AND an aoe knock back for about 20-30 yards. when he does this everybody needs to go back to standing on top of you again asap. he also will impale a random target for a large dot over 10 seconds. if it gets on your healer BoP them to remove it and pray they don't get it again, sadly ours did but they managed to heal them self and me through it all.

if your healer starts to get behind on heals from the knock back, have one of your melee dps use a bandage on you, it works wonders trust me. also, make liberal use of your cooldowns and don't be afraid to lay hands if you get low on the rhino phase. i used my bv and dodge trinkets on first shapeshift and bubble wall on the next and we killed him before the third, YMMV.

i've also read that hunters should spam tranq shot on CD when he turns into a rhino. no idea why, and can't remember what the skill does to begin with tbh, and our hunter was too busy with dps and helping with bandages and moving around like the rest of us to be able notice anything special. if anybody knows what this does, if anything, please share
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby harlekin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:19 am

Just a note on the cast time for Moorabi turning into a mammoth. Every time he attempts to cast the transformation the cast time is shorter. By about the fourth cast it becomes short enough that it is very difficult to interrupt.

There is an achievement for killing him without letting him transform, which likely requires more dps than the group I'm running with (everyone is still gearing up).

The transform can be interrupted (kick, earth shock, hammer, et cetera), but he is immune to silence and stun effects. I'm not sure whether it can be slowed with poison or curse of tongues.
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (80) - Prot Paladin - MT
Tyrenn (80) - Arcane Mage (please blizz, fix frost!)
Saege (80) - Tree

Progression: EQ, Anarchy, DAoC, EQ, WoW (yes, EQ twice)
harlekin

Postby Maat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm

About the trash, heh, make sure your melee are careful about AOEing any groups that include Drakkari Lancers. Their Retaliate buff has a tendency to make melee destroy themselves.
Maat

Postby smeej » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 am

This place seems to have reverse difficulty structure: it starts off a pain in the ass and gets easier as you go. First boss is pure hell. Second boss aggro wipes and can one-shot a priest. But then the encounters just get sort of easy.

For the first guy, I tend to have the party stand in the doorway so I can AoE the snakes up. It's still a pain and I haven't really mastered that fight.

Statue boss is easy as long as you keep kiting his water form around and don't stand in puddles. Make sure to taunt right away whenever he changes form.

There's a shortcut you can take after the second boss when you get into that long winding ridge: just jump off the side into the water and swim over.

Rhino guy just keep stunning. Murloc thing is a dps race.

For the last guy, make sure you have your back to a wall so he doesnt throw you around. Have everyone clear away from his whirlwind and bubble the healer if they get impaled.
smeej

First Boss Strat

Postby Ryanv340 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 am

The first boss is easy. Just skip him and clear the second boss. Then pull the 1st boss and fight him in the second bosses room all of the small snakes will stay in the first room and nobody will get wrapped. You will still get adds but just stay in the doorway and AoE them there and run around the doorway for the AoE nature damage.
Ryanv340

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:15 am

harlekin wrote:Just a note on the cast time for Moorabi turning into a mammoth. Every time he attempts to cast the transformation the cast time is shorter. By about the fourth cast it becomes short enough that it is very difficult to interrupt.

There is an achievement for killing him without letting him transform, which likely requires more dps than the group I'm running with (everyone is still gearing up).

The transform can be interrupted (kick, earth shock, hammer, et cetera), but he is immune to silence and stun effects. I'm not sure whether it can be slowed with poison or curse of tongues.

To clarify, his cast speed is not affected by how many times he has attempted to cast it. Rather, it is affected by his current health. The lower his health, the faster the cast.
Belloc

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Best strat for the first boss. Guaranteed winner!

A. Enter instance and buffup.
B. Everyone stand at the TOP OF THE STAIRS where you enter.
C. Hunter (or warlock pet) or you if no pet run down and aggro boss, drawing him up to top of stairs.
D. When he gets there, hit him with everything you have. Burn all cooldowns in an orgy of DPS. With a little luck he will be dead by the time the snakes get to the top of the stairs.

I did it in a pug a few days ago. average dps, 2 in low 1k, one at 2k dps.
Got him down by the time 3 snake adds got to us.
Didnt get the chance to get wrapped - Got the achievment.

2nd boss. dont stand in purple stuff, kite him walking backwards in a circle should be sufficient. remind ur dps to let u pick aggro back up after form change.

3rd boss. Is this supposed to be a challenge? Gimme my free badge!

4th optional bonus boss. Tank n spank. Taunt when aggro drops, though give him a second or two after he aggro drops as i found his threat table a bit buggy - latency issue maybe?

5th boss. Tank n spank in the middle. Having decursive means being easily able to cleanse people. Keep an eye on the healer. If healer gets impaled pop a hand of protection on him/her.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Best strat for the first boss. Guaranteed winner!

A. Enter instance and buffup.
B. Everyone stand at the TOP OF THE STAIRS where you enter.
C. Hunter (or warlock pet) or you if no pet run down and aggro boss, drawing him up to top of stairs.
D. When he gets there, hit him with everything you have. Burn all cooldowns in an orgy of DPS. With a little luck he will be dead by the time the snakes get to the top of the stairs.

I did it in a pug a few days ago. average dps, 2 in low 1k, one at 2k dps.
Got him down by the time 3 snake adds got to us.
Didnt get the chance to get wrapped - Got the achievment.

2nd boss. dont stand in purple stuff, kite him walking backwards in a circle should be sufficient. remind ur dps to let u pick aggro back up after form change.

3rd boss. Is this supposed to be a challenge? Gimme my free badge!

4th optional bonus boss. Tank n spank. Taunt when aggro drops, though give him a second or two after he aggro drops as i found his threat table a bit buggy - latency issue maybe?

5th boss. Tank n spank in the middle. Having decursive means being easily able to cleanse people. Keep an eye on the healer. If healer gets impaled pop a hand of protection on him/her.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Discus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:59 am

The first boss is easy. Just skip him and clear the second boss. Then pull the 1st boss and fight him in the second bosses room all of the small snakes will stay in the first room and nobody will get wrapped. You will still get adds but just stay in the doorway and AoE them there and run around the doorway for the AoE nature damage.

This is THE trick with the first snake boss. Don't mess about standing up stairs/in water etc... we tried all these tricks but if you do the above what was hardest fight in there becomes the easiest. Skip 1st boss, kill 2nd, send someone who can run fast to drag first boss to you. MT stands in middle of star pattern on floor of room in front of where 2nd boss was - ranged and healer stand back in room where 2nd boss was to avoid poison nova. Tank gets healed through nova.

It's so easy I fear they'll nerf it.
Discus

Postby Thornir » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Discus wrote:

This is THE trick with the first snake boss. Don't mess about standing up stairs/in water etc... we tried all these tricks but if you do the above what was hardest fight in there becomes the easiest. Skip 1st boss, kill 2nd, send someone who can run fast to drag first boss to you. MT stands in middle of star pattern on floor of room in front of where 2nd boss was - ranged and healer stand back in room where 2nd boss was to avoid poison nova. Tank gets healed through nova.

It's so easy I fear they'll nerf it.

They did. Snakes follow you to that room now.

Also, Poison nova is no longer affected by standing around the corner of a wall. You MUST run out of range.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby yappo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 pm

First boss gets adds if you fight him at the top of the entrance stairs? Never noticed :D

Joke apart (well, I honestly never HAVE noticed), he used to be one of my personal nightmares, but, well :D I'll vote for the stairs tactics. BTW, it's just fine running down and frisbee him yourself.

You risk loosing aggro on him as he comes running up the stairwell, but it's not like he can go anywhere but through your consecrate on his way to whatever caught his fancy, and by the time he's on his way out of it you'll have aggro again.

Bonus boss plays merry hell with my taunt. I'm NOT fond of him, but thankfully he's threemannable as long as your healer isn't among the casualties.
yappo

Postby Discus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 am

Slad'ran the Snake boss:
i made this macro for my self for starters

/cast shield of righteousness
/startattack
/cancelaura Snake Wrap

put it on my bar bound to number 2 and spammed it the entire time, still got wrapped towards the end once (pvp trinket helps lots). first we tried tanking him in the door way, with healer across the small pond and this didn't work at all. so after we wipe i decide to tank him in the center of the room. when you see him start to cast his poison nova (3.5 second cast) run like hell to out range it. with that long of a cast this shouldn't be difficult, but if you get hit chances are you wipe. this worked well for us as we had plenty of room to maneuver and the dps could see the loose snakes much much faster and burn them down asap.

You don't need to do any of this. As I said earlier in thread, simply kill 2nd boss first then drag him into the area where the second boss was. The snake adds that cast snake wrap don't come that far and it becomes by far the easiest heroic boss fight in the game.
Discus

Next

Return to General Strats