Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Tanking Grobbulus

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Pallypete » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:29 pm

Make sure it's only RANGED DPS that are attacking the slimes, as they have a nasty AOE nature damage aura. If melee are attacking them that might be why they're dying. Switching to walking speed works best for me, I can almost just continuously walk backwards and still have lots of room to keep moving without catching up to an old cloud. On 10-man it usually only takes one circle around the room to kill him for us, certainly shouldn't be taking 3 full circles.
Pallypete

Postby Martie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:18 pm

3 circles?

That's a bit more then it should take. One circle should down him.

Getting the amount of dps on the slimes right is tricky. Too much and grob gets neglected. Too little, and they cause wipes.
We generally tell people to focus on the slimes, knowing that there are always a few members that forget or don't notice.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby Annadin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:53 am

3 laps? Wow :o

If you're walking him at such a speed that it takes the dps 3 circuits to kill him that means a couple things:

1) You're reducing effective dps time by stretching the raid out too far and causing too much running around. It's more like the Halloween Boss in Karazhan than the Big Bad Wolf!

2) Your dps are slacking. But, that said, you got past Patchwerk, so they can't be slacking that much :D

We just keep an even pace, leaving enough room behind the boss (i.e. between his current spot and the previous big pool) for players to go quietly explode without having to run around a large pool and back again to rejoin the raid.

Also, depending on your ranged AoE and OT's gear it might be worth having the OT stack 3 slimes before the mages/hunters/w/e take them down - leaves more dps on the boss. Works for us at least.

My 2c.
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby Arca » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:21 am

TBH, I just set walk-mode and never stop moving. it leaves plenty of space for dps/healers to drop their clouds and keeps melee pretty safe from clouds also as we move along. Even if you make it all the way around, previous clouds will have already despawned. Keeping him moving generally keeps the rest of the raid behind him also.

Just as a note, its easier to kite clockwise than it is counter, the ramp can make for some bad facing going counter-clockwise.

Edit: I cant spell today :(
Arca

Postby Zeels » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:41 am

3 circles :O I'm surprised your healers don't run oom. (We run with 2 healers)

Starting from ramp then one circle and from the ramp to the wall is enough for us.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Zibey » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:41 am

I always tanked him with leaps, but I am so gonna try walk-mode. It's not often, but sometimes we get extra add or two, so if smth can improve that I just have to try it.
Gniev - The Maelstrom EU
Zibey

Postby Arjuna » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:24 am

damn he is flaky in his movement...I hate him with all my heart! :P

also, it's bad when the maintank(me) can't manage to jump at thaddius... :P
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Senador » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:44 am

I have been setting to walk and just moving constantly. It gives a pretty good distribution of the pools around to avoid, gives good space for the DPS to go into, he doesn't get all picky and jerky if you do this either as he has moved very smoothly. Also, it allows me to just constantly move and not try and watch the animation or icon which can be covered with other things (DK Spells in particular).

I think it was during the third lap we killed him this week, however, it was only a five minute kill; so it seems longer but it really isn't.
Senador

Postby Spectrum » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:08 pm

After watching Ciderhelm's video (check youtube/tankspot), I just kite all the way around and move whenever he spawns a cloud. If he seems to be in the wrong spot I just turn him right away. I usually strafe or backup to the next position. None of this silly walking.

Key is to watch for the green flashes when he lays the next cloud, and let other people call out slimes/diseases.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby skrith2 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Panzerdin wrote:Knaughty has it right. Again.

After explaining to the DPS that his hit box is wtf small and the whole fight is *@&#^$ stupidly designed, and to assume that I am a terrible tank, we 1 shotted him.

go figure.
skrith2

Postby snoweagle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:51 am

Quick one... can anyone confirm if the injection rate increases as a function of time or health?
snoweagle
Maintankadonor

Postby avatar8481 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:10 pm

I would also like to know this.

I'd like to put a vote in for the 'always walk' option as a way to control his wandering hit box. Admitted that we overgear the encounter now, but this fight really is about coordination of the clouds, not really much else.

Postby Frickit » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:17 am

Walk speed is very nice makes tanking him trivial. Doesnt seem like much but it controls his movement and creates nice spaces in between his clouds.
Frickit

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:59 am

SnowEagle wrote:Quick one... can anyone confirm if the injection rate increases as a function of time or health?

Just confirming is, the rate increases dramatically when he's below 30% and he starts spamming it at 10%. Blowing bloodlust/heroism at 10% and ignoring slimes at that point is generally the way to go.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Meloree » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 am

I kite him so that the leading edge of the most recent acid patch is just touching his red circle. Melee stands off to the sides, just back of the centerline. Even on our progression kill, it took under 3 walls to kill him, now he dies about halfway down the 2nd wall.

It keeps ranged and healers nearly stationary for long stretches of time, and leaves 2 entire walls free for people to run to with the debuff, it's nearly impossible for someone to get it wrong and go to a bad spot.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon