[10] What consumables do you take?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby arilink » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:40 am

Consumables will speed up / up the margin of error.
This can be useful on even more roompulls / AE instant action / achievements
(Flasks for Gotta Go! ftw).
Old Flasks are really cheap and easy to get (there should be tons of old herbs flying around) so I don't see why not to use them.
If Ulduar really is going to be way more challenging you will be using the newer buff stuff anyway.
arilink

Postby phaqueue » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:16 am

@ zeels...

I think the point Naughty was trying to get across by quoting the post there is that you're saying people are cheap for not using consumables where they don't need them...

would you consider me cheap for not using consumables for a pug heroic or regular dungeon? yes... it makes it easier... but it's not make or break for the encounter like it would be for a progression raid...

it's not that the people are being cheap... they are just not wasting consumables where they are not needed... so they can have them for when they are...

Honestly - I've been running alt/pug Naxx 10 with my roommmate's guild (they are DONE - including 25-man 3drake sarth [they haven't done 10 man 3-drake, but they aren't a 10-man focused guild - so it's not something they schedule - I'm sure they will eventually though]) and we really don't use consumables... including myself - I'm in about on-level gear... and I use no consumables... our last clear was about 2.5 hours... including having to 9-man the last wing and a half + saph/KT because a healer left (we had a DPS respec) we got 3 min patchwerk that run...

if we try for some of the other achievements... then perhaps we will flask and such... but really - it's not worth using the consumable here...

he's not saying that you don't need it - he's just calling you out for saying he's cheap because he doesn't... makes sense to me... if you need it - it's being cheap to not use it... if you don't - it's being smart to not use it...

all depends on your gear and level of progression
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby cordelia » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:42 am

Speaking of which, I find that I can stack more than 150hp worth of stam by dropping 10 defense rating, and old school flasks are cheaper, so flask of fortification FTW. Of course, make lots, since you don't really want to go in crittable, do you?
cordelia

Postby Dokidoki » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:45 pm

I flasked for malygos, and really even then it doesnt help or make much of a difference.

really at least for my guild the problem is phase 3, and flasks wont matter then.
Dokidoki

Postby Zeels » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:36 pm

phaqueue wrote:@ zeels...

I think the point Naughty was trying to get across by quoting the post there is that you're saying people are cheap for not using consumables where they don't need them...

would you consider me cheap for not using consumables for a pug heroic or regular dungeon? yes... it makes it easier... but it's not make or break for the encounter like it would be for a progression raid...

it's not that the people are being cheap... they are just not wasting consumables where they are not needed... so they can have them for when they are...

Honestly - I've been running alt/pug Naxx 10 with my roommmate's guild (they are DONE - including 25-man 3drake sarth [they haven't done 10 man 3-drake, but they aren't a 10-man focused guild - so it's not something they schedule - I'm sure they will eventually though]) and we really don't use consumables... including myself - I'm in about on-level gear... and I use no consumables... our last clear was about 2.5 hours... including having to 9-man the last wing and a half + saph/KT because a healer left (we had a DPS respec) we got 3 min patchwerk that run...

if we try for some of the other achievements... then perhaps we will flask and such... but really - it's not worth using the consumable here...

he's not saying that you don't need it - he's just calling you out for saying he's cheap because he doesn't... makes sense to me... if you need it - it's being cheap to not use it... if you don't - it's being smart to not use it...

all depends on your gear and level of progression

Sure I see your point(s). I still do and will do everything to be as good as I can possibly be. And I do use expensive consumables even in heroic PUGs (and I admit I don't flask up for heroics, ofc not).

With the philosophy that you only should use what you do need (if you know that it is enough... how do you know that?)
Well then, one could argue not to buy gems or buy green gems at least until you get to progression again (everyone on this forums seems to be clearing all contents with their hammer tied behind their back).

I personally enjoy the feeling knowing I've tried my very best in terms of gear and consumables to beat something, besides what else should I spend my gold on?

Also I might not raid as much as you guys does, I'm usually only raiding two times a week, so there is not a problem for me spending 200g per raid on consumables.

To clarify what I mean: I use all consumables that are needed when progressing and some consumables when not progressing. You guys are doing the same, but atm you are not progressing and thus not using "all you can get".

The reason why I wrote what I wrote was because I got the impression when reading this thread, that peoples here in general regarded the content as piss-easy and therefor not worth using consumables. That may be so, but then again you have to do a distinction of when you are progressing and when you are not progressing.

I think it's safe to say: While progressing use everything you can to improve your chances of success.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby majiben » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Do you pop a guru elixir and 800 armor elixir every fight but magylos? If not you are not living up to your absolute best potential.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Mishakal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:23 pm

My guild is only going to start 25man raiding this weekend, having been the MT for our 10 man Naxx runs and having different peeps in the raid each time for the last 4/5 weeks means that I was using flasks/elixirs and food.

As the main tank for progression raiding for a semi serious raiding guild means I need to be at the top of my game each time ... we dont have the crazy geared tanks/healers/DPS ... we have some very well geared toons and the rest ... and where do you hide as the tank?

This can suck, when you and your gear cant do anymore, for us this was the Grob fight .... I fell off the pipe after him so many times from all the reversing. He has killed me 13 times.

That said, when the guild catches up gear wise no more consumables for content that no longer require them.

Only 2 more bosses left in Naxx 10 and looking forward to 25 man content (which I have pugged until now).
Mishakal

Postby jcamper1337 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:57 pm

i bring the 40 str 40 stam food and i bring a flask. Ill only pop the flask if were gonna be there a while. Some people say a flask isnt worth it because 650 health aint shit but ive personally survived many fights in BC because of a flask. IE walking out of phase 1 ros with 2 health

I also drop feasts all the time but I dont use them i just use the 40 str 40 stam food just to get more threat gen my s preist likes to blow shit up as soon as i pull

I dont even use any elixirs at all to me its more of a pain in the ass

and pots i take health pots yet i think i only rember i had them after i die. and if a healthstone counts as one i still cant tell you what a healthstone does or heals for cause the last time i used one i think i was lvl 30
jcamper1337

Postby Loras » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:48 am

jcamper1337 wrote:I also drop feasts all the time but I dont use them i just use the 40 str 40 stam food just to get more threat gen my s preist likes to blow shit up as soon as i pull

Kick him out of the raid for once and you'll be amazed how fast he'll learn not to do so if he still cares about getting in raids. Be firm, don't tolerate slacking.
Loras

Postby knaughty » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:13 am

As a data point: Back at level 70 I used to flask Blinding Light for heroics.... while wearing Sunwell tanking gear.

Because I needed to threat to cope with Sunwell geared DPS.

Dayam.. you could get through a lot of heroic content at level 70 in Sunwell gear with consumables up...

Totally oprional given current balance.

But yeah, consumables aren't really required other than Sarth+3. We cleared everything but hard mode before our cooks/alchemists had levelled up enough to make consumables, and there were certainly none available in the AH.

If you're having difficulty - use them. EG: We ran full consumables for Sarth+3 [10-man] - even the 40/40 food over feasts, plus Flasks. But we don't really use them for 25-man, and not at all for 10-man, even for the progression clears. Maybe feasts.

That said - next couple of weeks we're going to try and get most of the silly achievements, which will probably mean flasks/consumables. Have about half of them done. Spore Loser seems to be impossible, and undying/immortal will take rather a lot of luck. Maybe try it 10-man with the Sarth3D crew...
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Discus » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:26 am

With the massive increase in our oevrall Stats the % difference most consumables make is hardly worth the cost. Blizz doesn't seem to have scaled up the consumable boosts (esp Flasks). Not an oversight, more a design to phase their use out and further simplify the game.

Saying that, there's a weird trend/obsession on my realm at the moment with food buffs from people who never used them in TBC.
Discus

Postby majiben » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 pm

Discus wrote:With the massive increase in our oevrall Stats the % difference most consumables make is hardly worth the cost. Blizz doesn't seem to have scaled up the consumable boosts (esp Flasks). Not an oversight, more a design to phase their use out and further simplify the game.

Saying that, there's a weird trend/obsession on my realm at the moment with food buffs from people who never used them in TBC.
Some of the flasks are litteraly the same iLvl. The food however has gotten much better. The best food buffs for dps and healers has gotten twice as powerful as it was in TBC plus they now given a survival bonus in the form of stamina.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon