Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Tanking Grobbulus

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Tanking Grobbulus

Postby Drbeardface » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 pm

So first time tanking Grobbulus yesterday, did ok, walked around the room with him. I was however having problems with his positioning. While slowly walking backwards in a straight line more often then not he would end up walking behind me, then turn around to get back infront of me where he should be, sometimes doing his slime spray thing which ended up producing more slimes then was needed.

Whats causing this? Is it lag on my end? A small glitch perhaps? Anyone else had or are currently having this issue?
Drbeardface

Postby Conaan! » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:00 pm

sounds like your moving in such a manner that something blocks his path for a moment to me
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Morpheren » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Check or post in the naxx forum.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:10 pm

Sounds like lag; the game projects where it thinks you're going to be if there's an interruption in data, so the game thinks you're further along than you are. When the data resynchs, you're not as far as the game thought, and it repositions accordingly, etc etc.

I usually just use the Illidan Dance(tm) to keep him pointed at the wall at all times.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:10 pm

I strafe with him and you gotta straighten him out sometimes with a side step or something. Only time I got to do it was on a ten man once. /sigh
was fun though, and easy.
Last edited by Frickit on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frickit

Re: Tanking Grobbulus

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Drbeardface wrote:Whats causing this? Is it lag on my end? A small glitch perhaps? Anyone else had or are currently having this issue?

His hit-box is tuned too small, and client-server lag make him mispredict you position.

He's a complete ass.

Doing a simple U-shape kite using the drain as a guide is more reliable if you have any sort of highish ping (eg: playing Oceanic)
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 pm

Moved to a more proper forum.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Drbeardface » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:41 am

Fridmarr wrote:Moved to a more proper forum.

Thanks
Drbeardface

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:29 am

Knaughty has it right. Again.

God I hate that guy.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:14 am

Actually i found out that turning walk on makes the kiting much easier.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby sanctifico » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:41 am

I just walk in a pattern made of lots of Z. (cos tanking in 25man naxx is boring)

z z
z z
z z
NNNNNN

Funny thing is it keeps him pointed to the wall, even on my laggy arsed server.

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby Frickit » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:58 am

Worldie wrote:Actually i found out that turning walk on makes the kiting much easier.

always such good ideas.
Frickit

Postby Buffy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:13 am

To counteract what Knaughty pointed out, I find that taking a few steps followed by some "baby steps" backwards tends to prevent him from over-predicting your position and turning toward the raid to re-trace his steps. A good rule of thumb is not to stack on top of w/e boss you're tanking (unless the strat calls for it) but instead, give yourself some room to breathe.
Buffy

Postby Ziggi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:11 am

I don't even bother facing him towards the wall. i just keep him so he's pointed down the drain the entire time. The raid stand to your right and slightly behind that way you don't get extra slimes. plenty of room. In the 40 man version we never let melee in due to the acid shit rings, but I now do it in 10/25 kite so that after he shits i pull him ahead enough to allow melee in between him and the ring. The funny thing is that he dies in pretty much the same place on the floor, just alot quicker.
Ziggi - Relentless - Shattered Hand
Ziggtastic - 80 Tankadin
Ziggi

Postby Darkside2gnt » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:45 am

ok so this is the second time I have gotten up to Grobbulus and not been able to down him. I'm going to try the baby steps after each big step to keep the chances of more adds to a minimum.

The problem we have is that the OT and dps seem to die and adds become unmanagable. I believe i am fairly geared for this encounter Armory. Is there any specifics i need to tell my OT and dps that will keep them alive?

We are going back tonight and hope to finish him off. Thanks for any advice.

oh also how long does it normally take to down him? The closest we have gotten is to about 20% and had done about 3 laps iirc.
Darkside2gnt

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon