Remove Advertisements

Heroics ranked by difficulty. By Threatco.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Rate my rankings.

Strongly agree.
10%
Agree.
40%
Neither.
13%
Disagree.
25%
Strongly disagree.
12%

Total votes : 68

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:27 pm

yea... didn't know about the thing with the guns... didn't realize you could taunt him back to you to make him follow u on whirlwinds - I might have to try that..

honestly - as far as taking the whole thing though - I just take it... I think it amounts to like 15k damage or so - and the healers I tend to take on heroics can heal me through that easily...

might have to try the guns trick though - I like that
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Brudar » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:04 am

I'd have to say the only ones that are hard are H Oculus and H Old Kingdom. Not because of the bosses per se but the trash sometimes confuses me.

Edit: I'd place H Azjol more toward normal.
Before:

After:
Brudar

Postby Kelarik » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:09 am

Old Kingdom, Oculus, and HoL are roadblocks for me at the moment... roughly agree with all the others though, however I'm refusing to vote in a poll without a CBH option. Even if CBH isn't actually the option I pick.
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Pizbit » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Pinnacle and AN were my first heroics, my healers first heroics too.
Pinnacle I agree, AN how ever I'd put in Normal, skirmishers first, nuke nuke nuke, dodge spikes/pound & loot.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Re: Heroics ranked by difficulty. By Threatco.

Postby cordelia » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:09 am

Beginner

UK - Utgarde Keep
Nex - Nexus

Easier

VH - Violet Hold (harder b/c of VR and ethereum bosses)
DTK - Drak'Tharon Keep (harder b/c drek bleeds)
CoS - Culling of Stratholme (not sure why it's harder - maybe belongs in above category)

Normal

GD - Gun'Drak
AN - Azjol Nerub

Hard

HoS - Halls of Stone (all about the event)
UP - Utgarde Pinnacle (all about skadi)
Oc - Oculus (all about the drakes)

Hardest
OK - Old Kingdom
HoL - Halls of Lightning (Loken kills more players than any other boss)
cordelia

Postby Threatco » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:06 pm

HoL - Halls of Lightning (Loken kills more Noobs than any other boss)

Fixed
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Katie Lynn » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:53 pm

I find AN the hardest heroic because Anub'arak always kills the noobs. The gauntlet part of UP also is hard.

Old Kingdom was easy for me. So I have to disagree.

Haven't done oculus because it doesn't drop gear for me.

Sorry for the bad English.
Katie Lynn

Postby Kelarik » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Assuming a group that doesn't always run together and isn't organised and coordinated on voice chat, the gauntlet in UP is the hardest thing outside of Loken. I personally enjoy passing around some swiftness potions and sprinting with everyone to the end.

Did heroic AN tonight for the first time and it wasn't really all that bad once the skirmishers are taken care of before they can become problems.

Hammer of Justice + Holy Wrath = 'No, you're not allowed run to the random person you're targetting'
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Lavnihs » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Old Kingdom is really easy imo, as long as you remember 3 simple things.

Don't stand in the flamestrike.

Kill the guardian.

Kill the Acolyte first.

Beyond that its pretty simple. As a BE, with dps that is too lazy to interrupt anything between HoJ and Arcane Torrent you should be able to minimize the magic damage you take. The only time I come close to dying is on the pulls on top of the platforms prior to the 2nd boss, which is more due to my positioning / dps breaking shackle on the 2nd caster more than anything else.

The 3rd boss is ridiculously easy if you know where to tank her, as well as get the achievement. Posted easy ways get fixed, but I'll share so at least the tankadins can enjoy it before it gets fixed.

Clear one side up to her. Have everyone stand in the water above the waterfall. Pull the last pack of adds and have the dps help kill them. Once she starts to descend, all the DPS jumps off the waterfall and heads to the end of the tunnel where you came in. Tank and healer stand there until she comes down. Shield toss or whatever to get her attention, then you and the healer head for the tunnel. Once you get on top of the steps, tank her there. Avoid the crap she puts on the ground.

She will run off and go to sacrifice an add. She does her little speech, kills her sacrifice, enrages, and comes back for you. If you are backed up in the corner on either side of the tunnel, she will not be enraged when she gets to you. Tank another 25%, take a break. Rinse, repeat, get achievement and move on.

IMPORTANT: On the way up to her you cleared one side of the steps up to her. Make sure you are standing on the same side of the platform as the ramp up that you cleared. When she runs back up she is phased out or whatever and will not aggro anything. On the way down however, she is not. Lets say you cleared the right side on the way up. If she comes down the left side and there are mobs there, you just made some new friends. If you stand on the side of the platform that correlates to the ramp you cleared, no adds.

Easy. Free achievement.

Last boss is easy to deal with if your healer is decent. Even if the dps dies during insanity (which apparently, BE pallies make mean NPCS) you can duo her until your dps makes it back from the entrance.
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)
Lavnihs

Postby DracoTB » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Ok, so we have easy, hard and hardest. Now, what sort of recommended gear/stats are we looking at for these?
DracoTB

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:10 pm

DracoTB wrote:Ok, so we have easy, hard and hardest. Now, what sort of recommended gear/stats are we looking at for these?

You're fine - use some cc here and there, hoj when you can - use seal of justice on initial pull to minimise mass damage spike (hor can proc it on all targets it hits - as can divine storm if you're with a ret pally and feel like you're getting smashed by trash).

Make sure you run H VH every day at least, tanking legs and easy badges... although with pugs it's more the healer that will get mega stressed than the tank as difficulties are caused by magic damage on void boss and knockbacks on water boss.
Sarutankah

Postby Unholly » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Hmm, never trust these lists. Different gear/group composition makes it a different instance. With a decent healer and all ranged dps you can trivialise skadi (and most instances tbh), decent healer makes loken a joke (stack and dps till he dies, no running).

But doing the same instance with a group in blues is a different story. At the appropriate gear lvl I'd put pinnacle higher on the list (we've just tanked it so often for our swords we've forgotten). I'd put HoL as harder than oculus too, some of the trash can 1-shot ppl at the gear lvl (thinking of the mobs that charge regardless of aggro).

Lists like this tend not to be accurate when the posters/contributors could probably 2 man all the trash (and some bosses). Better bet is looking at the archives to when everyone was doing them in blues and taking notes from there (I'm assuming ppl use these lists to start heroics :p)
Unholly

Postby Threatco » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Hmm, never trust these lists. Different gear/group composition makes it a different instance. With a decent healer and all ranged dps you can trivialise skadi (and most instances tbh), decent healer makes loken a joke (stack and dps till he dies, no running).

But doing the same instance with a group in blues is a different story. At the appropriate gear lvl I'd put pinnacle higher on the list (we've just tanked it so often for our swords we've forgotten). I'd put HoL as harder than oculus too, some of the trash can 1-shot ppl at the gear lvl (thinking of the mobs that charge regardless of aggro).

Lists like this tend not to be accurate when the posters/contributors could probably 2 man all the trash (and some bosses). Better bet is looking at the archives to when everyone was doing them in blues and taking notes from there (I'm assuming ppl use these lists to start heroics :p)

My list is based on a group in blues.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Unholly » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 pm

Then why is oculus harder than hol? Oculus was amongst the first hcs I did, far easier than HoL. Casting my mind back to the early posts, i seem to remember ppl saying that oculus wd be an easy one to farm for badges while gearing up - no one said that about hol.

Went to hol last week, green and blue geard dps (just lvld) and a blue geared healer (14k hp same mana), people died a lot. Did AN with same grp, if anything it was easier.
Unholly

Postby DracoTB » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:29 am

Sarutankah wrote:You're fine - use some cc here and there, hoj when you can - use seal of justice on initial pull to minimise mass damage spike (hor can proc it on all targets it hits - as can divine storm if you're with a ret pally and feel like you're getting smashed by trash).

I was pretty sure I was. Have been using CC but haven't used Seal of Justice.

Make sure you run H VH every day at least, tanking legs and easy badges... .

A little difficult when I'm getting kicked out of h VH groups before it even starts :? Apparently, @ 22500 health I don't have enough HP :roll:
DracoTB

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats