Ragnaros Solo!

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Promdates » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Can you link me the 35/36 spec?
Promdates

Postby Aysun » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Your thread got me interested and I still remember the time when my guild got both bindings in a single MC run back in the day (you never know, right? ;)), so I thought I'd give this a try myself.

The spec I used for all bosses was http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZaxVA0uMteIRGotf00b. Basically it's slight variation of the normal tanking spec with kings and 2/2 imp judgements that I tailored for tanking Nef in a 6-man guild run without the onyxia scale cloak.

The hardest fight was no doubt Gehennas, but it proved possible after a few tries. The gear I used gave me 1163 spellpower, 430 SR with aura, 498 block value (!) and a mana pool of 12.5k that allowed me to heal through the damage even with the -75% healing curse. I used seal and judgement of wisdom and blessing of sanctuary. I took down the adds using CDs (DS and LoH) and once they're down it gets easier to heal. Gehennas alone is manageable as long as you have enough SP and a big mana pool. Takes a while though.

Also, I'm a draenei with the -2% shadow hit racial but I doubt that makes too big a difference.
Aysun - level 80 Paladin - Zenedar EU
Avah - level 80 Shaman - Zenedar EU
Ferra - level 80 Rogue - Zenedar EU
Aysun

Postby Sockpuppet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Aysun wrote:The hardest fight was no doubt Gehennas, but it proved possible after a few tries. The gear I used gave me 1163 spellpower, 430 SR with aura, 498 block value (!) and a mana pool of 12.5k that allowed me to heal through the damage even with the -75% healing curse. I used seal and judgement of wisdom and blessing of sanctuary. I took down the adds using CDs (DS and LoH) and once they're down it gets easier to heal. Gehennas alone is manageable as long as you have enough SP and a big mana pool. Takes a while though.

What kind of gear did you use? Was it a mix of healing, prot & resistance gear or just healing & resistance gear? I'm guessing you weren't uncritable, amarite? Did you manage to get some plate SR gear from AH or did you have the old craftables?

.. Damn I have a lot of questions, this is (along w/ Majordomo & Rag) The only boss I've yet to solo in MC.
Sunburns are clearly our body's way of telling us we need to hurry up and evolve some armor plating or something.
Sockpuppet

Postby Aysun » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:27 am

I had all of the old BT SR set (4 shadesteel pieces, the neck and the cloak), new resistance greens are probably better though. I used the BV libram, and my retri gloves if I recall correctly. Rest of the items were heroic/badge healing items. Don't think I wore any real prot/BV items. I was definitely crittable, but the crits are barely noticable if you do eat them.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just shoot.
Aysun - level 80 Paladin - Zenedar EU
Avah - level 80 Shaman - Zenedar EU
Ferra - level 80 Rogue - Zenedar EU
Aysun

Re: Ragnaros Solo!

Postby Meru » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:00 am

So, i finally got around to solo some in MC. I must say i thought most bosses required better gear then i have but it's been quite easy so far.

Gehennas was by far the hardest, took me whole 3 tries....ofc i had the help of reading suggestions here first :D
Went with standard tankspec nothing special really, had 19k hp, 11k mana, 449SR and around 1200sp i think.
Was close a couple of times but shielding through add 1 and LoH at some point during or right after add 2 worked fine. In the end it all was very close to failure due to bad mana management when i saw it was close. Down to like 1k hp and almost oom...with a few secs left on shield cooldown....luckily he went down anyway as i killed him while shielded.

So i killed Majordomo without problems but sadly i never had time to try Raggy afterwards. Hoping to have some time later today.
Was hoping for some suggestions gearwise as im going with standard protspec.
Im thinking a mix of FR and Holy gear could be an idea or would that be too weak?
Will for sure run with a spelldmg weap but hoping for some suggestions on other gear.

For example trinkets, what would i benefit more from between http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42987, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44063 or perhaps http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42413?

I might be low on stam if i decide to go in a mix of holy/FR.
I might be low on mana/healing if i go in a prot/FR set.
So far i havent decided which would be the one to prefer :)

Ah well, will try later...hope for some suggestions by a seasoned pro :)

edit: nvm, he's dead.
Meru

Postby Dorianias » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Ok, ive been able to solo everything in MC except for Rag. His damage is inconsequential except for the fall dmg. Can someone please recommend a good safe spot were I will get knocked back into deep lava? If you can include pics then even better. Thank you.

Update: After trying a couple different places I found that standing almost on top of Rag in his lava circle facing with my back to the deep pool to the north east on the map. Took about 33min in all to solo.
Dorianias

Postby Leuthas » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 am

Am I the only one that doesn't prefer to get knocked into lava? I stand in the oldschool spot and eat the fall damage. :?
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Janduin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:14 am

Haven't tried to solo it, but worked great as ret with my girlfriend on her mage. Slowfall ftw.
Janduin

Postby Torquemada » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:49 am

Solo'd him from about 85% down with my Pally after my wife died while not really paying attention to the fight. Also, my weapon had broken, and I didn't have a backup. Thus, my only attacks where Judgement, ShoR, Consecration, and AS. Took my over 30 minutes. I had to LoH twice, and I couldn't keep mana up to save my life. GOD it was boring.
Torquemada

Previous

Return to General Strats