Remove Advertisements

Some thoughts on professions

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby phaqueue » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:43 pm

haven't necessarily maxed out everything else... I just tend to get bored and level professions when that happens...

I'm debating dropping mining for enchanting or BS... will probably be BS just because I want the extra sockets for ret when dual specs come out...

making gold from mining is not an issue at all... I currently have over 10k gold, and haven't been out farming in quite some time... only picking up random ore once in a while... and I still have an alt with an epic flyer with mining (when I decide to level him)

boredom does crazy things... like making me level professions yet again...

I think I'll probably farm out the mats before I drop mining (something to do while running around old world picking up my exploration achievements...)

then grind it all at once - at least high enough to get sockets and decent patterns...

hmm... boredom... lol
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby sfrog » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 am

Part of the reason I'm thinking BS/JC is as strong as the traditional (since BC at least!) JC/Enchanting combo simply due to the 2 extra sockets, which you can stick 24 stam gems into. Or anything else really as it's a Prismatic slot and doesn't effect any socket bonus on the item. The fact I've got almost every Blacksmithing pattern in game, has of course, nothing to do with me not wanting to drop it :)

I think if I can get an alt up to high Mining skill it'll be worth it to Min/Max my gear better, but until I can give myself a steady supply of ore it won't be.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby Lavnihs » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:05 am

Not true. Unless your server's ore prices are way high for some reason, you'll make more gold/hour prospecting than mining.

JC will fund leveling a profession faster than any gathering profession can gather the mats to level it. YMMV, but unless your server has an extremely different economy from the norm, there is no way you can gather the mats as fast as I can buy them.
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)
Lavnihs

Postby Toddrick » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:05 am

Up until yesterday I was rocking the BS/Mining profession combo. After leveling my DK's mining to over 300 and saving up a ton of cobalt and saronite ore, I dropped mining and picked up JC. I went from 1 to 300 in a couple of hours (flying around to pick up vendor designs that were cheapest way to plvl) and only spent about 300g. I saved all the ore I mined with my DK, sent it over with whatever bars I needed and it was pretty easy.

The main reasons why I switched to JC:
1. Those gawd damn sexy prismatics. +41 stam in a socket where I would need to put a crappy def/stam or a slightly less crappy dodge/stam. In the end, I believe the prismatics will give most classes the largest net stat gain over any other profession. Also, when dual specs come out you'll be able to socket Str (ret) or Int (holy) prismatics.
2. Monarch Crab. I will be proud to say that I have crabs once I craft this bad boy for my pally. Huge stam increase. Probably the 2nd best trinket option, post def cap, to EoG.
3. Future JC trinkets. Hopefully an epic version of the monarch crab.

Those were just some of the reasons. Plus, I was getting kinda bored of mining. In the end, its all preference. Do you prefer flashy goggles and riding on a motorcycle? Do you prefer the ability to disenchant crappy greens and enchant your own gear? You like making armor...rings...I think you get the picture.
Toddrick

Postby Dokidoki » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 am

Dorvan wrote:Well first of all Mining is currently slightly more Stamina than BS at the cost of some flexibility. As a result, right now Mining/JC is the absolute most stam you can get,

False, mining does not grant a stamina bonus, it gives 500 hp that does not scale on talents 48 stam is better than 500 hp with our talents and modifiers.

I have heard that they are changing the toughness buff to stamina next patch, though I cant confirm it.
Dokidoki

Postby phaqueue » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:23 am

Dokidoki wrote:
Dorvan wrote:Well first of all Mining is currently slightly more Stamina than BS at the cost of some flexibility. As a result, right now Mining/JC is the absolute most stam you can get,

False, mining does not grant a stamina bonus, it gives 500 hp that does not scale on talents 48 stam is better than 500 hp with our talents and modifiers.

I have heard that they are changing the toughness buff to stamina next patch, though I cant confirm it.

yes they are... it's been confirmed many times... CBA to link...

I think most people are just referring to that now... as there is a matter of weeks, maybe a month before the patch should be live... what's the point in leveling a prof based on a stat that will change in a couple of weeks...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice