So, What was he Doing?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

So, What was he Doing?

Postby Dunkan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:26 am

Ok, so I am recovering from a hijacked account situation.

I had told my guildies that I was going on a server holiday for a while and that I would be offline for 3 weeks ( I was levelling up another Pally on the US servers).

When I got back, I read an email from Blizz saying they were suspending my account which prompted me to check Armory, hence the sudden realisation...

So, at some stage in my absence, my account gets hacked and the hijacker specs me Ret and spends the next three weeks (mostly) in Heroic Slave Pens. Huh?

I got off lightly (lost my Crystalforged Sword and Primals in my bank) and after the long drawn out recovery process with Blizz I was able to log on to Guildies telling me that he said he was my "friend" from China and that he had spent most of his time in Heroic Slave Pens.

You know, I would almost think that was enough, but what has me wondering was that my Rep for Cenarion Expidition has hardly moved (bastard).

What the heck does a solo Pally with 375 mining do in HSP?

BTW, if I sort out the missing sword I may end up ahead. He had bought or farmed a nice set of blue twink stuff and mined plenty of ore I have yet to sell...

Mystified,

Dunk
[/i]
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Swagger » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:34 am

I have no idea, and I'm sorry your account got hacked, but seriously lmfao
Swagger

Postby Worldie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:25 am

I can't be sure of this, but there are some mine spots in that istance where u can mine without pulling mobs if you are smart enough.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gracerath » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:09 am

How can you tell it was heroic? More than likely the person was farming easy herbs/ore in regular slave pens. Are you an herbalist or miner by chance? If not, then I got nothing :P
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Makaijin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:55 am

I actually find it more interesting that he didn't simply destroy your account, but actually played and farmed on it for a while.
Makaijin

Re: So, What was he Doing?

Postby Girard » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:35 am

Dunkan wrote:Ok, so I am recovering from a hijacked account situation.

I had told my guildies that I was going on a server holiday for a while and that I would be offline for 3 weeks ( I was levelling up another Pally on the US servers).

When I got back, I read an email from Blizz saying they were suspending my account which prompted me to check Armory, hence the sudden realisation...

So, at some stage in my absence, my account gets hacked and the hijacker specs me Ret and spends the next three weeks (mostly) in Heroic Slave Pens. Huh?

I got off lightly (lost my Crystalforged Sword and Primals in my bank) and after the long drawn out recovery process with Blizz I was able to log on to Guildies telling me that he said he was my "friend" from China and that he had spent most of his time in Heroic Slave Pens.

You know, I would almost think that was enough, but what has me wondering was that my Rep for Cenarion Expidition has hardly moved (bastard).

What the heck does a solo Pally with 375 mining do in HSP?

BTW, if I sort out the missing sword I may end up ahead. He had bought or farmed a nice set of blue twink stuff and mined plenty of ore I have yet to sell...

Mystified,

Dunk
[/i]

Dunno.. but the guy who hacked my account took my mage out farming in Blade's Edge Mountains =/
Girard

Postby Zonzede » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:15 am

Thats exactly what happenned to a warrior friend of mine in my guild. Slave pens day in, day out.
Zonzede

Postby Dunkan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:22 am

Guildies were told that he was in HSP, Alos, when I recovered the account he was right near the portal - by now I can recognise the Skull overlay on the portal...

And, yes I am a miner but I know of no easy to reach ores that you can get without fighting mobs. Remember there isx that roaming pack at the beginning.

Dunk
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Girard » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:24 am

Dunkan wrote:Guildies were told that he was in HSP, Alos, when I recovered the account he was right near the portal - by now I can recognise the Skull overlay on the portal...

And, yes I am a miner but I know of no easy to reach ores that you can get without fighting mobs. Remember there isx that roaming pack at the beginning.

Dunk

Odds are he was farming cash/drops with some buddies.
Girard

Postby Gracerath » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:17 pm

Dunkan wrote:Guildies were told that he was in HSP, Alos, when I recovered the account he was right near the portal - by now I can recognise the Skull overlay on the portal...

Dunk

In normal slave pens, those packs are totally avoidable with the level difference. I go in there occasionally to farm a few spawns of ancient lichen and then reset the instance. I've seen a few ore nodes in safe spots so I'm sure its possible to do that as well.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:21 pm

A prot pally with decent gear could actually solo pulls in normal Slave Pens, and tell people it was Heroic so they wouldn't be suspicious of him being in there for a long time.

Specced ret though? Not really sure.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Dunkan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Yeah, but when I first managed to log in, the portal showed the Skull=Heroic mode. I got the impression that he did not talk all that much (once or twice when he was drunk, lol) and they kept tabs on him by looking at the Guild screen.

I'll have a look at the blues a bit closer and see where they drop.

BTW, anyone else noticed a lack of good greens/BoE blues in TBC. I used to make decent money grabbing the pally gloves off Timmy in Strat Scar back in the day.

Hmmm.

Dunk
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Joanadark » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:21 pm

A prot pally with decent gear could actually solo pulls in normal Slave Pens, and tell people it was Heroic so they wouldn't be suspicious of him being in there for a long time.

I tried some Slave Pens soloing once. It does work, it just takes longer than really justifies doing it, whether youre clearing to nodes or farming rep, or whatever.
Its just inefficient.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Dreamcrusher » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:02 pm

Well, I may or may not have insider info about how these things work, so take this with a grain of salt.

A lot of gold-selling companies will develop/test/use game hacks using accounts that they do not own. It minimizes their losses if it gets caught by Warden and banned.

An example of this was the Dire Maul exploits. Gold selling companies would zone in a character they had control of (but not necessarily owned) then use a third-party hack to port to every treasure chest, open it, then port to a location under King Gordok then kill him without the mob being able to retaliate, take the Tribute chest contents, port to the vendor, sell the BoP's and then port to the zone line and zone out. Reset the instance and repeat.

That said, it doesn't sound like what this person was doing. Especially since your character retained quite a bit of the items gained (usually gold-selling companies would have mailed it through a couple accounts before you ever had the chance to realize what happened)

I can only offer 2 explanations:
1) you logged in the account before they were able to unload their spoils.
2) your account was hacked by someone who really just wanted to play the game (more likely, but even more strange...)

On a completely unrelated note, gold farmers are notorious not for doing things that are efficient, but for doing things that are simple. If a single gold-farmer can bot 10 different characters, each of them performing inefficient tasks, they're still making more gold/hour then if they maximized efficiency by playing one.

As for the Heroic mode... maybe that was how he was resetting the instance?
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby Joanadark » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:08 am

2) your account was hacked by someone who really just wanted to play the game (more likely, but even more strange...)

Lol, I should tell you guys the story about the chinese farmer who rebelled against his company cause he wanted to try raiding.
and somehow managed to negotiate his way into a trial through my priest recruiting officer without getting interviewed first.

ill write about it tomorrow, since im sleepy now.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Next

Return to General