Sapphiron

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Strom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:10 pm

Ewige wrote:Probably easier to position him properly during the pull due to huge f'n frontal cleave (relying on one man to position the boss as opposed to relying on n+1 to position around the boss).

No other reason, really, you can have him turned to any position, afaik.

Yeah I just tell people to hug the wall as they move around him.
Strom

Postby knaughty » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Ewige wrote:Probably easier to position him properly during the pull due to huge f'n frontal cleave (relying on one man to position the boss as opposed to relying on n+1 to position around the boss).

This.

Tank turns him to door: Opportunity to fuck up: One person.

Melee run to his arse: Opportunity to fuck up: Every melee person.

Very much worth noting that he doesn't start his little activation cinematic until you go into the room, and it takes way longer than running to the tanking spot.

(1) Buff
(2) Run to tanking spot and stand around spamming consecrate/HS.
(3) Tank boss.

You only have to actually move him if you fucked up somehow and wiped.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Nexty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:22 pm

Ok, so what is my raid doing wrong? Our very best attempt got us to 73%. We went in with 6 dps, 1 well gear priest, one undergeared priest, and one well geared shaman for healers. I MTed.

First few tries had most of the raid in capped frost resist gear, I was just in my normal tank gear. We used the split into two groups strat, one healer on each side of the boss with a healer just for me. Only made it to a second air phase once. undergeared priest would almost always die as soon as the first air phase started or just before.

We swapped out the undergeared priest for a pally healer to MT heal. Also switched strats and had everyone over on one side. We did 4 tries this way with the last one having just me and the healers alive, but other then the MT healer almost oom. I think I did 1 or 2% by myself before we just let Sapph kill us.

At some point we had DPS start stripping off frost gear and put on more normal gear. DPS had dropped to really really low numbers. Our Shaman healer was top of the chart with only 1% overheals (which I don't think I've ever seen before)

What are we missing? More aware, reactive dps? Stronger healers? Run with 5 dps and 4 healers?
Nexty

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Nexty wrote:Ok, so what is my raid doing wrong?

Dunno :)

3 healers setup is good, pally/priest/shaman is a great setup. Three healers is plenty - enough to do "100-club" (though prob not for your progression kill).

1 tank.

6 DPS.

Everyone in max-FR except tank in max EH gear. I actually wore the FR belt for progression 10/25 kills as it was better than my Lightbringer belt from Sunwell (stamina out the wazoo).

Everyone on one side. Melee at back leg. Ranged/healers spread out.

Never let an ice-block form inside the green ring, or hard up against a wall.

Don't stand in blizzard, unless you're the tank.

Frost resist gear only uses up three slots - DPS should not drop much.

If 6 DPS can't kill him, then remind them to stop dying. Dead DPS Do Diddly Damage.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby arilink » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:56 pm

Always did the Hundred Club as FR gimps your stats too much.
Resi Totem/Aura is Ok if you don't forget it.

One side.
Judge Light.
Priests - Holy - Circle of Healing, Prayer of Mending.
Shaman - Chain Healz.
Tree - Wild Growth - If not Resto, innervate a Priest.
Pally Healer - Beacon yourself.
Get Replenishment - SPriest, Ret, (SV Hunter).
No (or little) FR Gear.
View top down to avoid Blizzard.
From there it's full DPS.
IIRC you should aim for 5-6 min.
arilink

Postby Equitas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:23 pm

The 25 man version is even easier than the 10 man version, i had 7(!) healers, 1 Holy priest, 2 Resto Druids, 1 Paladin, 3 Schamans, No one wore Frost resi for 25 man.

Killed him in about 9 minutes.

JUst dodge the blizzard, its the only thing that kills, and make sure when the frost blocks come your apart 10 yards or you will be instakilled by the aoe + damage tick, once blocks are there, gather around and have fun.

Run back, tank and spank.

Switch on the First Bloodlust after the First landing phase to pump out some dps. Switch on the second one when hes sub 20%.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Nalyn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:01 am

Knaughty wrote:Don't stand in blizzard, unless you're the tank.

Don't stand in the blizzard, even if you are the tank, and you don't even have to move the boss either. If you position yourself either right up next to him, ie just in front of his front claws, or close to the edge of his hit box, you can simply move to the opposite spot, either closer or away, and get out of the blizzard, and his hitbox is big enough he won't move, or if he does it will be maybe a half step or so, nothing that the raid will need to worry about.
Nalyn

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Nalyn's correct.

Don't stand in blizzard, unless you're the tank, and even then try and avoid it.

Huge hitbox is huge. You can move in and out a LOT without moving him.

That said: Given the choice between:
• Stand in Blizzrad.
• Move Sapph.

I'd pick "get rained on". Downside of being rained on? You need more heals (pop an avoidance trinket if you're wearing one, or even bubblewall). Downside of moving Sapph? Whoops, you just killed the melee, or did more damage to them with tail than you'd take from rain.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:38 pm

arilink wrote:Always did the Hundred Club as FR gimps your stats too much.
Resi Totem/Aura is Ok if you don't forget it.

One side.
Judge Light.
Priests - Holy - Circle of Healing, Prayer of Mending.
Shaman - Chain Healz.
Tree - Wild Growth - If not Resto, innervate a Priest.
Pally Healer - Beacon yourself.
Get Replenishment - SPriest, Ret, (SV Hunter).
No (or little) FR Gear.
View top down to avoid Blizzard.
From there it's full DPS.
IIRC you should aim for 5-6 min.
The frost resist aura keeps you from achieving the 100 club as it gives 130 FR.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Celestira » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Knaughty wrote:Nalyn's correct.

Don't stand in blizzard, unless you're the tank, and even then try and avoid it.

Huge hitbox is huge. You can move in and out a LOT without moving him.

That said: Given the choice between:
• Stand in Blizzrad.
• Move Sapph.

I'd pick "get rained on". Downside of being rained on? You need more heals (pop an avoidance trinket if you're wearing one, or even bubblewall). Downside of moving Sapph? Whoops, you just killed the melee, or did more damage to them with tail than you'd take from rain.

Yeah big difference between "Oh hey he's stuck in blizzard I'll spam him for a while" and "OMG how did both of the rogues just die?" I usually use bubblewall if things look dicey for the first and the LoH if it comes up a second time.
Celestira

Postby Auroris » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:29 am

Lol, this boss was awesome for us in 25-Man.

Warrior runs across, positions towards kel'thuzad's doorway or hall door, whatever.

I run in all nice and dandy with VIGILANCE on me. >> House comes on...

....EXOLAETH, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!?

Yeah...Apparently Righteous fury, watching House, spamming Shield, JoL, and Hammer of the Righteous = THE WRONG THING TO DO.

GG for Bubble. Warrior got the back, and the amazing thing is... No chain cleave, no cleave at all. XD Everybody was waiting for it, like a heart stopping moment. None.

So yeah we just went back our usual cleaning it up after my mess up. We downed him that time, one shot on him. He's a lot fucking easier on heroic than 10 man, thats for damn sure. No Frost resist. ;D Heroic: The Hundred Club or whatever. very good night, we two shotted Kel'thuzad as well. lol and I got my Shield! ^^;
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby Sober » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:31 am

Strom wrote:

Yeah I just tell people to hug the wall as they move around him.

If he's 'assembled' before the pull, just run up to the left/right side (pick the opposite whichever side of sapph you'd set up the raid on and for P2) and drag him back so noone gets caught running out by the cleave.

He'll almost always be in the middle again unless you want to move him. Personally, I face him towards the portal instead of KT's door.
Sober

Postby Tellysaren » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:45 pm

We had a warrior in about equal gear as the offtank for our naxx10 run, and our healers were kind of worried about being able to heal everyone, so I just put on my mp5 holy set and was tankhealer so that the healers could focus more on the raid.
Tellysarena-Level 80
Human Paladin-0-53-18 Protection
Jewelcrafter/Miner
Lightbringer-<Reincarnation>

With a shield big enough, I can tank the World.
Tellysaren

Postby knaughty » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Tellysaren wrote:We had a warrior in about equal gear as the offtank for our naxx10 run, and our healers were kind of worried about being able to heal everyone, so I just put on my mp5 holy set and was tankhealer so that the healers could focus more on the raid.

JoL will healer for far more than you can ever manage prothealing in a 25-man. I vie for #1 healer tanking Sapph-25 with the CoH priests, and a mile ahead of the Holy paladins.

Unsure in a 10-man, but it would probably go close.

Judge light and tank it.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeruvar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:00 am

one more thing about the sapphiron pull if your having trouble getting started

1) if its a fresh saph attempt, he's just a pile of bones. Everyone can run in and get into positions before he becomes the huge dragon whose hitbox we all love to hate

2) If you already wiped on him and hes already up, just run in, and pull him facing sideways right away. The raid can just stay on his side where the entrance is and wait for him to fly away. Saves a lot of grief from;
a) members who are on their first saph attempt and dont hug the walls coming in;
b)saph moving too close to the entrance during the pull since we dont have a charge skill (unless your an engineer);
c)or everyones just too lazy and doesnt want to bother about positions during the pull
Zeruvar

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon