[10] Malygos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:37 am

Markoh wrote:Theres a theory that if you can manage to keep all the sparks rooted/stunned and wait till you get like 8 I think it is and then just blow them all up. This causes an insane ammount of dps, though I think it got proven that you won't have enough time left to do p2 and p3.

Really the only way to do it is to just outgear the hell out of it. No real secret; know the fight, execute perfectly, have a very synergistic raid, consumable up, and max dps specs.

It was 5 sparks that allowed them to heroism-burn the boss to 0% health (a one shot in phase 3). Saving 4 sparks would probably allow an achievement kill.
Belloc

Postby Markoh » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:07 am

Ya I remembered this talk but not any of the specifics. I think this would also be almost impossible in 10 man due to lack of the cc to keep the sparks off him, but I haven't really put that much thought into it so it may be possible with a very specific group comp.

If your not fully geared and not killed him many times I wouldn't even worry about the achievement.
Markoh

Postby Daenerys » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 pm

Does anyone know the optimal "interface-camera" settings for this fight? I tried this with my guild a week or so ago and sucked at positioning. One of the major problems I had was upon landing after the vortex my camera would spin around and I'd get disoriented. I also couldn't see around the fucking dragon very well with my low-res screen.

I just looked into camera settings and changed "Camera Following Style" to "Never" .. is that sufficient, do I also have to mess with Smart Pivot (checked at the moment) and max camera distance to high (omg this would have helped so much.. wish I could slap myself. it was set to low before by default)? Any more things I should tweak?
Daenerys

Postby Koln » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Daenerys wrote:Does anyone know the optimal "interface-camera" settings for this fight? I tried this with my guild a week or so ago and sucked at positioning. One of the major problems I had was upon landing after the vortex my camera would spin around and I'd get disoriented.

We solved this by using the Engineering Smoke Bombs to mark the 4 spawn locations with different colors. When we saw a spark spawn, we'd call out the color opposite the platform so I knew where to kite Malygos to.

Of course this requires you to use the camera macro to extend your range out so you can see the bombs. /script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax",30); worked for me.
Koln

Postby Daenerys » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Koln wrote:We solved this by using the Engineering Smoke Bombs to mark the 4 spawn locations with different colors. When we saw a spark spawn, we'd call out the color opposite the platform so I knew where to kite Malygos to.

Of course this requires you to use the camera macro to extend your range out so you can see the bombs. /script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax",30); worked for me.

Thanks-- that's actually a really helpful tip. Definitely going to try to down him before reset. Now if all my friends would quit having horrible computer problems (2 graphics card failures, and a total Macbook meltdown.. sad)
Daenerys

Postby Markoh » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:08 pm

Just look at your minimap and use the mouse to make sure your arrow is pointing south if your the tank and north if your not, now when you land you'll be facing that direction and run forward.

Also if your carrying people who can't get something that simple done, just run to the totems if your not the tank they will be sitting where the group was prior to the vortex and tank run opposite.
Markoh

Postby Daenerys » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Got it done without the flares. With my camera settings fixed phase 1 became fairly trivial. To be honest, I don't know about the north/south thing.. usually after vortex there's a spark already coming in and a 2nd one that's coming soon as well, so I woudln't want to automatically run north. I automatically land and pull him to the other side of the fast spark. This might be more problematic in 25man where I hear he can breath as soon as he lands, but I had no issues just pulling him in circles around the middle where we stacked the buff.

Phase 2 was also trivialized once we set ranged to dps the ones in the air and melee the two on the ground instead of focusing on the ground and making melee useless faster. It was actually P3 that gave us a lot of trouble until people really got their abilities down. Yay for sexy title and sexy shield! :D
Daenerys

Postby Edc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm leading my raid into the eye for the first time this reset, and I'm kinda wondering what time on the enrage I should aim for minimally when entering p2 and p3. We pretty much nailed the basics (getting to p3 almost every attempt). But the time on the enrage is so tight in p3 we basicly wiped already before entering it.
Paladin / 70 / Sylvanas
Edc

Postby Playdoh » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:02 am

Just one question, why the whole north/south absolute positioning?

I actually find it easier to tag malygos where he lands and spin him to the outside edge at the start.

During Vortex as a tank I look around for the spark ping the map and point my toon in the opposite direction of the spark so I hit the ground running. Dps points their toons toward the ping and moves in that direction. I spin malygos around, this ensures that the dps will always be between malygos and the spark after every vortex.

So, I am just curious, why the whole north/south comments?

It almost seems counter productive on some of the spark spawn points.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 am

It gets the raid positioned safely without needing 10 people to make the apporiate judgement calls in a short window. Essentially it prevents people from getting smacked around.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 am

We've never done a north south thing on this fight. All my DPS/healers stand right smack in the middle of the platform, and I rotate Malygos around the platform so the DPS gets the sparks exactly on top of them every time. Works like a charm.
Ashmadai

Postby Passionario » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:14 am

Are any of Malygos's damaging abilities partially or fully resistable?

We don't have any priests in our 10-man party, and our druid's attendance is rather unpredictable, so we're looking for any advantage that we can get our hands on.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:37 am

Passionario wrote:Are any of Malygos's damaging abilities partially or fully resistable?

We don't have any priests in our 10-man party, and our druid's attendance is rather unpredictable, so we're looking for any advantage that we can get our hands on.

I believe that all of his arcane attacks are partially resistable. However, if you use arcane resistance, you're going to lose an insane amount of DPS.

The intended way to do this fight is to use a priest or a druid. If you don't have that, you probably won't be completing the encounter.
Belloc

Re:

Postby snoweagle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:53 am

Belloc wrote:I believe that all of his arcane attacks are partially resistable. However, if you use arcane resistance, you're going to lose an insane amount of DPS.

The intended way to do this fight is to use a priest or a druid. If you don't have that, you probably won't be completing the encounter.

Sry what trade-off between arcane resist and dps are you talking about?

We don't have a tree in our guild at mo, and often have to be healing with a shammy and 2 pally's with the occasional cat/boomkin...

we can usually deal with the vortex as long as we have the druid's resist on the raid. Fortunately our Holy priest should be upping attendance soon, but if that doesn't happen then it'd be good to be aware of the tradeoff we're making by that... or it's not a problem if you're talking about other arcane resist?
snoweagle
Maintankadonor

Re: Re:

Postby Jasari » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 am

SnowEagle wrote:
Belloc wrote:I believe that all of his arcane attacks are partially resistable. However, if you use arcane resistance, you're going to lose an insane amount of DPS.

Sry what trade-off between arcane resist and dps are you talking about?

We don't have a tree in our guild at mo, and often have to be healing with a shammy and 2 pally's with the occasional cat/boomkin...

we can usually deal with the vortex as long as we have the druid's resist on the raid. Fortunately our Holy priest should be upping attendance soon, but if that doesn't happen then it'd be good to be aware of the tradeoff we're making by that... or it's not a problem if you're talking about other arcane resist?

Belloc is talking about if you wore Arcane Resist gear you'd be sacrificing DPS. Obviously having a druid buff doesn't hurt you.
Jasari

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon