Remove Advertisements

Question from a Returning 2.0 Tankadin!

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Question from a Returning 2.0 Tankadin!

Postby Raskii » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Hello everybody!

I'll get right to it. I'm a returning tank (went Holy for a long time) that has a question about pulling "mixed" groups of melee fighters, casters and/or ranged mobs all together.

Basically: How should you do it?

Let's pretend that we've got a pull with 2 melee mobs, 1 caster mob (ala Ele Shammy style), and another ranged DPS mob (let's say he's a Hunter) that are all spaced out far enough that AS just barely bounces. Let's also say that the two ranged guys are on the far side of the group.

Who do you throw AS at since there are 4 mobs? Do you ignore the ranged guys or focus on them first? What about those two melee fighters that the rest of your group went after, guns a blazin'?

Simply put, how to you keep things under control when your group is doing their darnedest (unintentionally, of course) to rip your tenuous control of the situation apart?
Raskii

Re: Question from a Returning 2.0 Tankadin!

Postby Conaan! » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:32 pm

Raskii wrote:Hello everybody!

I'll get right to it. I'm a returning tank (went Holy for a long time) that has a question about pulling "mixed" groups of melee fighters, casters and/or ranged mobs all together.

Let's pretend that we've got a pull with 2 melee mobs, 1 caster mob (ala Ele Shammy style), and another ranged DPS mob (let's say he's a Hunter) that are all spaced out far enough that AS just barely bounces. Let's also say that the two ranged guys are on the far side of the group.

Who do you throw AS at since there are 4 mobs? Do you ignore the ranged guys or focus on them first? What about those two melee fighters that the rest of your group went after, guns a blazin'?

Simply put, how to you keep things under control when your group is doing their darnedest (unintentionally, of course) to rip your tenuous control of the situation apart?

let me introduce you to my friend, the wall, hes there to stop you from auto walking to your corpse, he stops those nasty knockbacks, he has a tendency to bug out when magtheridon is throwing you around the room and make you fly through the roof port to a empty shatt then fly back down and die

he also allows you to LOS, making them move around the corner
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:54 am

Conservative: Shield at the casters, get out of LoS. Judge the undazed mob that turns up first.

How I do it: Shield the casters, charge the pack, judge 4th, back into ranged mobs, Consecrate, HotR. Arcane Torrent if I'm having trouble bunching them up. Start looking for next pack.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby mgkeeper » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:03 am

I believe u r talking about some groups in Utgarde Keep, but maybe i am wrong. Anyhow if you have reached a point that u don't require cc just AD the mellees and HotR the one caster and Shield Slam the 2nd. then consecrate or any other rotation. That's how i play it. Cause the mellees will follow you and casters won't so if u don't have any LoS place there, u have to drag them all to one place to hold aggro and mass aoe them down.

Armory : http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Genjuros&n=Socratis
mgkeeper

Postby Lore » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:05 am

run at them and yell a lot until they stop moving

The yelling is optional but it makes it more fun
Lore
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:58 am

If I have a group with two ranged/caster mobs, and I can't get them to bunch together, I'll generally just pick one to attack and get into range of that one, and use other ways to keep aggro on the second - Consecrate under its feet, AS when it's off cooldown, Judgement, Exorcism - I'll just throw out a ranged attack now and then to keep threat up above the healer. When the first one's dead, then I move over to the second.

Whenever possible I'll LoS, but there are several places I can think of where that's difficult (ice blocks in Nexus, for example).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Cearn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:41 am

Which pack in the game does not fit in a consecration? °_°
Cearn

Postby Belarkan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:05 am

On non magical ranged (hunter most probably) you can still reach melee and move slowly toward the other mobs, they'll follow you because of the dead zone.
Belarkan

Postby Arjuna » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:21 am

Cearn wrote:Which pack in the game does not fit in a consecration? °_°

FREAKING DRAGONLINGS AT THE START OF OCULUS!!!

sorry for the caps, just hate Oculus and all that it stands for :(
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:50 pm

Shield toss three (usu first kill target or one of the casters that like to stay put), run to a caster (so melee follow). Shield slam one, judge the other, and HotR as well. You can get ~1k threat on almost everything very quickly. I tend to shield toss (and/or judge) the ones that won't be in the consecrate, so that they can hold vs healing threat. I also tend to drag the group over to one of them, so that focusing on a caster will be easy.

Some of the dual-caster packs in Nexus do this. I'll shield toss one side, and then run to the other. {edit: I echo hatred of the dragonlings in Oculus.}

Sometimes I body pull with a consecrate, so that the casters-that-run (or other widely-spaced things) will run for me, and then be close enough for a shield toss or HotR to hit more than one.
Kelaan

Postby Lavnihs » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:06 am

AS to get their attention, HoJ on the caster, and HW is a great way to get things going if you are dealing with undead. The stun buys you time for that first heal to go off, HS to go up, HoTR something, etc.

Arcane torrent is a great way to group up casters as well, GG op'ed BE racials!
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)
Lavnihs

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:32 pm

A. LOS them. works wonders. However take care that if the mobs get spaced out enough theres a chance that the healer can pull aggro by healing you. eg some mobs hitting you and the dawdlers not even in your consecrate yet.

B. CC method - pull em with ur big happy shield of golden gloweyness, then get your CC to get jiggy. Hunters fire ranged frosttrap, mages sheep, shammies hex, rogues sap, etcetcetc.

C. Leeeroy method - Run in, mix it up! Hammer one ranged, judge another, stun a third, exorcism and holy wrath the lot of them (if undead).

D. Fire n forget method - Similar to C, usually works best with 1 ranged.
Run to mobs, throw hammer and judge on the ranged mob, then aoe the rest of them down while just ignoring the ranged. This works well if your AS or Judgement crit, and your dps is strong enough to burn down the adds before the healing threat overtakes your initial spike of threat on the ranged. Keep eye on ranged throught battle to make sure it doesnt start blasting the caster.

E. The Fun Pinball method - Like C, works for 2 ranged. Throw AS at 2nd ranged. run to 1st and dps hard on him, with aoe keeping the melee on you. When the first consecrate/judgement has cooled down, run quickly to the 2nd and repeat. Good for keeping PuG's confused :)

F. Power rangers are ago - If your party is ranged dps strong, and the healer is good, just ignore the ranged - You tank 1 ranged with the melee around you, and get all dps to focus on the 2nd ranged mob for a quick zerg. Advantage of this is that by the time the ranged focus on your mobs you have a huge thread lead so can just sitback, autoattack and HS.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: Question from a Returning 2.0 Tankadin!

Postby Martie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:53 pm

Raskii wrote:Hello everybody!

Ah, Drak'Tharon keep.

I always tell my party to kill skull first, and I generally mark a random mob with skull as I run to them. You don't need them to focus, but if they cannot manage to kill skull first, then they won't manage any boss that has even a semblance of required tactics.

Here's what I do, and it works.
Mark the caster, throw your shield at the caster or ranged. Run past the melee as they come at you, throw down a consecration as they follow you.
Slam the caster with your shield, target the ranged, walk close enough to the ranged to make him melee you, walk back to the caster, kill everything in sight.

If the other ranged won't melee you, stand between it and the caster so you hit it with consecration while you kill the caster, then focus your attacks on him, positioning the melees in your front.

Being a blood elf, I use arcane torrent as well, those two seconds of silence generally bunches up the mobs nice and tight.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby Annadin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:32 am

As well as /agreeing wholeheartedly with everything above (with the possible exception of CC :o ), if you're an engineer I cannot recommend hand-mounted pyro rockets highly enough!

Who couldn't love Rocket Gloves?!!
They are brilliant for that reluctant 4th mob, have a hugely long range (I've not measured exactly but they far outrange the frisbee and even hunters' attacks), and come with a handy just-about-1-fight cooldown.

I splashed a second load of EoH to get a second pair of T7s just for this purpose. Armsman for bosses, Rocket Gloves for everything else (and the bosses where I forget to switch back) :wink:
They make heroics go way faster too, as you can wait until the mobs are right on top of you before frisbee/consecrate, so the slowing debuff doesn't apply. Gotta love flexibility.

If you're an engineer, next time you upgrade your gloves, be sure to stick this baby on your old pair. You will wonder how you ever managed without them :D
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Return to General Strats