Remove Advertisements

Mob Positioning

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Mob Positioning

Postby Siekertr21 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Most of tanking has seem to be very simple and easy to understand for me, except for mob positioning. I get frustrated with the mob that refuses to attack my face, and all of my attempts to get him to face me are returned with him/her running to my back again. is there any real "trick" to getting a mob facing the way you want it to? Mobs walk really goofy ive come to find.
Siekertr21

Postby Raskii » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:45 pm

I have this problem all the time. There are three ways to deal with it:
  • Just let the guy stand behind you - If he's a caster, it's not that big of a deal. You take the same damage from spell attacks from behind you as you do from those in front of you. And, as long as he's still in your Consecration Aura, you're still generating threat on him.
  • Turn off run - As long as you have agro on all the mobs, it's not that big of a deal. Just be sure not to let it interrupt focus.
  • Move backwards farther - Instead of just tapping the back button, actually hold it down for a half sec. to a sec. The reason mobs run behind you is because of latency: They think you're running farther than you actually are. So, if you move farther back, they have more time to "get the message" and stop moving before going to far.
Generally speaking, you'll want to go with the last option. Even though there's not really all that much involved with the other two options, it looks bad if the tank just sits there with mobs standing behind him. And, even a single keystroke can throw people off their rhythm. Especially if it's a key that's all the way on the other side of the keyboard!
Raskii

Postby Zeels » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:08 am

Another option is to run through the mobs, and then turn yourself (180 degrees).

Watch out for patrols and other packs tho, so you don't get too close.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Conaan! » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:07 pm

engineers, use any bomb that has a stun effect, great way to reposition, i generally jump through the largest pack and turn around mid air so as to reduce damage taken while still getting in position fast enough, if hes still moving around you, try again, or move your back to a wall
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Conaan! wrote:engineers, use any bomb that has a stun effect, great way to reposition, i generally jump through the largest pack and turn around mid air so as to reduce damage taken while still getting in position fast enough, if hes still moving around you, try again, or move your back to a wall

That's the method I use.
Flex

Postby HinataDestiny » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Use your Crashin Trashin Racer to pull
Retired Wowhead since Feb 14th 2009

A4 - Anime Forums - Your Place to Talk Anime

Playing: Halo(Heroic), Halo 2(Heroic), Ill let you know if/when I get to legendary.
HinataDestiny

Postby Sarutankah » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:20 pm

I jump in with seal of justice up, the poor mans Shockwave :lol:
Sarutankah

Return to General Strats