Remove Advertisements

[10] Vault of Archavon - need some help

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Vault of Archavon - need some help

Postby Samud » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:54 am

Hey guys, I'm new to high-end prot pala (used to be prot while lvling between lvl 40-69) but read this forum's guides.

I'm def cap but barely hit cap (far from it actually) but since I had the necessary stats (armour, hp and def) to try VoA I did so but as OT.
Problem was my taunts were -all- resisted :\ does it have to do with my hit rating being so low? I have the glyph of rightous defense as well.

Or does prot pala not work very well as OT in general or in VoA in particular?

Thanks!

PS - Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum for this.
Samud

Postby majiben » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:18 am

No such thing as a defense cap only a minimum.

Why are you getting hit capped? You're not a dps, oyu don't need to be.

Get the glyph
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Huon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:26 pm

Hey, welcome to the core.

There are no reason why you would not be able to tank VoA. I did it fine just last night.

If you have the Glyph of RD, and SOME hit gear, you will be fine. I currently have 116 hit, or 3.5% ishh, and I don't recall my taunt ever resisting.

Now Righteous defence, on the other hand bugs out on me all the time. If I taunt and then the mob changes target right away as I push it, sometimes my RD will go on cooldown but it won't actually pull the mob to me. Are you sure you SEE the text miss?

Either way its annoying, you just have to learn to work with it.

Good luck
Huon

Postby Samud » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I have the glyph of RD and 4%ish hit rating so might have been the bug :\ I didn't notice any miss but I tend to miss the informaiton myself. It was on CD tho so I assumed a miss.

I might have been doing it all wrong as well, in fear of missing a second taunt, on the second try I was focusing on MT and barely touching the boss so I could be sure to taunt him when MT was lifted. This makes me wonder, since I had never been OT, don't I need to be second in threat list for it to work properly?
Samud

Postby Explícít » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:16 pm

whenever i ot and not mt, i just stay second on threat, never taunted while ot >_>
Explícít

Postby Samud » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Does that mean that it suffices to stay second in threat to OT VoA? Now that I think about that seems plain obvious /facepalm
Thanks.
Samud

Postby Explícít » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:32 pm

it's just what i do, usually hold back to not out threat the mt and the mana i burn is usually back up to max by the time mt is back in control to taunt off me. pretty sure the taunt method is to close the gap in threat but the margin is so small for me i don't bother /shrug
Explícít

Postby Zeels » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:49 pm

This fight is incredibly simple. When he immobilizes the other tank, you taunt, otherwise someone else will get aggro. You don't have to target the other tank, keep the boss at targeted and make sure you show the bosses target (target of target).

Usually You will be first or 2nd on threat and the you don't have to taunt. If you are 3rd or below on threat, you will need to taunt.

Tbh speaking of welfare epics and so on, this is a bit over the top IMO. (Speaking about the encounter)
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:37 am

Taunting on Archavon can be iffy. If you taunt as he is changing targets, your taunt will fail.

The way you handle Archavon is to taunt before he picks a player up. Let me give you an example:

Everyone runs in, you're both fighting for aggro. After so long, he'll pick up whoever is currently tanking. If you're 2nd on his threat list (and you should be), he'll start attacking you. As soon as he throws the previous tank, that tank should taunt Archavon to return to the top of the threat list. If you have a preferred tank, they can taunt back, but it's not really necessary.

So, basically, whoever gets picked up and thrown should come back and taunt to get back up on the threat list. A tank could just go all out on threat moves and try to get back up that way, but that becomes hard/impossible after he has thrown a tank twice; the dps will just be too high on the list.

So... taunt early, taunt often.
Belloc

Postby phaqueue » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:07 am

easiest way to use taunt on arch and make sure you're not going to get the bug is this... have 2 tanks... whenever one of them drops below 2nd in threat - he taunts... that will put him first and the other tank 2nd...

there will always be a tank in 1st and 2nd... so when he grabs... it will always go to a tank...

did this in 25 man with another tank... had no problems at all...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Playdoh » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 pm

I think it has to do with the RD talent itself.

Righteous Defense works only if the mob is targeting someone. The boss CAN and will one shot someone sometimes before you can use RD.

When the boss knocks the primary tank back, he will not target ANYONE for about a second. If you use your RD then, you might miss hitting it a 2nd time before he one shots someone. If you wait until he is targeting someone you have a chance for him to one shot his target.

I am not sure if it's a bug or working as intended on this fight. Much easier to stay 2nd in threat for this fight and go with the flow.

When he knocks the tank back he will always attack the 2nd on aggro list.

Makes the fight easy mode.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Samud » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks for all the inout guys! I'll try them and see how it works.

EDIT: I have succesfully OT VoA now :) your tips were a great help, thanks!
Samud

Postby mavfin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Yeah, I MTed this Saturday. When he'd toss me, I'd land on the floor, or hop down to it, depending on where he threw me, and then charge/taunt/rotation. Easy fight, as long as the DPS stays off the stairs, and does enough damage. 1st try hunter didn't listen, stood on stairs, boss lunged to him, bugged, healed to full, then walked back to me. Enrage timer ensues a few minutes later. Also in same try, OT stood in cloud till dead.

2nd try without those two errors was simple. It's actually a nice intro-to-raid encounter:

1) listen to where you need to stand
2) listen to what to ignore as a DPS, and what to step out of! (get out of the cloud, just ignore the spikes and let them heal through it)
3) kill the boss. Fast.
4) collect loot if it's for your class/spec.

I have yet to get any loot, but I don't do Archavon for loot. I do it for quick fun with buddies, and to teach a couple people 1) and 2)

Also, if I tank it, and any DPS is below me, I talk to them if they're friends/guild, and laugh at them from behind my hand if i don't know them. Like the DPS warrior that only did 900 DPS on 10-man Arch when I, the tank, did 1100ish. I know you with better gear laugh at that number, but, considering my gear is 2/3 blue still, and he does wave you in the air a bit, that's not bad, although I have since learned more how to make that even better.
--Mav
mavfin

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon