Remove Advertisements

MT at Gruul.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby kvark » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:52 am

I have to advice you to get moroes lucky watch, it'll fill in as a HS when those things occur. Most people say high block value is the key, but its when silence occur on gruul where dodge is what saves your life.

I prefer to have almost 30% raidbuffed dodge + moroes watch use prepared. Threat should not be a problem, I managed to wear him down without a single hunter in the raid to MD me, and mages/locks went mental on their dps.

I just hope 16% dodge is not in you raid gear, because that would been an issue ;)
kvark

Postby Everlight » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:18 pm

So, I'm MT'ing Gruul this week, for our first attempt at him.

Any specific pointers? Like, how do you deal with the Ground Slam? Just run back to him as fast as you can?
Everlight

Postby Mateo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:02 am

Gruul will run off in a random direction for a few seconds after Shatter to allow for the MT to get back into position. Unless you get slammed into a far corner and just can't run closer to him for fear of Shatter damage, just re-position him afterwards and inform your OT so he/she can move with you to avoid having melee get hit with Hurtful Strike.
Mateo

Postby Vencedor » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:49 am

His silence isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

First guild attempt got him to 45%, second to 37%.

But this was at growth 9/10. Our DPS needs to gear up a bit more, or we need to be sure all our DPS studs are there next time we attempt him.

The Shatter is annoying but doable and I didn't find repositioning him to be that difficult.
Vencedor

Postby kvark » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:57 am

did gruul again a couple days ago, oneshotted at growth 11. before the fight I switched the +SD on my suneater to +agil, and at grow 8 I was so far ahead in threat that when I switched to sun eater, the drop in tps wasn't an issue, + I popped agil V scroll ahead of the fight. Combined it put my dodge up into the 30's and I got hit so little that I actually had to start planning my spells to avoid going OOM =)
A prot warrior would intervene me on silences just in case, and if they don't want to - tell them it's a team effort to kill this sucker.
kvark

Postby Invisusira » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Mithos wrote:Make sure you are ALWAYS the ONLY person in front of him. When anyone gets an attack parried, mr truck gets his next attack 40% faster. With pets and melee DPS, this can happen lots of times in the space of a second or two if you get unlucky, meaning you start to get owned very fast.

We forced all melee except the MT behind him and now our attempts run much smoother. I really notice the reduction in damage taken compared to before, especially on high grows, it's far more consistant. Hope this helps :).

TY for the suggestion Mithos, I never knew that!! ^^ Very good to know!
Invisusira

Postby Jarkeld » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:29 pm

Our guild's working on kael atm and we still end up with a dead MT at like 10% most of the time, it's pretty much a guild tradition now.
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made many people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Jarkeld
Jarkeld

Postby Fain » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Might I ask a question? Actually, I don't care what you say, I'm asking anyways.

I tanked Gruul for the first time last night, and my two biggest concerns happened to be my threat and stats.

How much tps should i be pushing? Without MD/AW I was pushing 700-900 range tps with SoV.

Raid buffed I was around 15800 hp without commanding shout. (I believe I was also without blood pact, but it was late.) Is that enough hp?

Armory

(yeah i know theres some spell damage gems in there, recently the MTs had left the game, I was a OT)
Fain

Postby Invisusira » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Fain wrote:Might I ask a question? Actually, I don't care what you say, I'm asking anyways.

I tanked Gruul for the first time last night, and my two biggest concerns happened to be my threat and stats.

How much tps should i be pushing? Without MD/AW I was pushing 700-900 range tps with SoV.

Raid buffed I was around 15800 hp without commanding shout. (I believe I was also without blood pact, but it was late.) Is that enough hp?

Armory

(yeah i know theres some spell damage gems in there, recently the MTs had left the game, I was a OT)

Your health is fine, if just a smidge on the low side for the heavy hits at the end, your TPS is also fine. You should always start out with hunters doing an MD rotation on both tanks, dunno why you wouldn't! Boatloads of frontloaded threat to dps him down as fast as possible ^^
Invisusira

Postby Tybalt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:01 pm

Our alliance downed Maulgar (for the first time) and tried Gruul (for the first time) last night. I was MT for both encounters. I was very surprised at the Gruul fight, and I think that, technically, its an easier fight than Maulgar. I had 17.6k hp (raid buffed) and was pushing out 700+ tps the whole fight. Even the silences weren't too hard to deal with.

Our best attempt got Gruul to 50% during growth 11 (our dps needs to get better), and personally I thought Gruul was hitting like a sissy even at growth 11. I'm sure its gets exponentially worse as he grows, but I was still standing with over half the raid dead and only 2 healers left. I only died when my OT went down, and with no one else in melee range, I ate an 11k hurtful strike.

With a little more gearing for our DPS, this should be a fairly easy fight.
Tybalt

Postby Rónin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:00 am

Yesterday our guild did a try on Gruul again without being strict on group composition, meaning that we still got 4 tanks out there and some DPS more on the survivability mode because we just got from HKM.

In the past, being the our guild's MT on Gruul most of the time, I already managed to keep it up till Growth 15 for two times, but those tries seem to be lucky ones. Yesterday on two tries I went down at growth 11 without any unlucky hits during silence while not having my shield up.

So I'm now wondering whether it's me having a problem or if it's just our healers getting unlucky or not doing their job right.

My combat log says the following:
* hits vary between 4900 and 5600 on average (at growth 11);
* no hits got higher than 5600 dmg;
* in the last HP decrease period before I went down I received a total of +1503 healing spread out over a period of 7 seconds (3 x around 500 added HP).

I know, growth 15 isn't the best case scenario, but we try to down Gruul with every member in the guild, meaning not the best ones. Last time we got him on growth 17 and yesterday he went down on growth 15, so we have progress in stats on the whole.

So my question is: do I need some changes to be more enduring on this fight, or is it just the healing that got an unlucky situation or wasn't focussing enough?

Armory profile: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... R%C3%B3nin

(or check out the European Armory and look for "Rónin", with an accent agui on the "o").

(this was my setup during MT-ing Gruul).

All feedback is welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Rónin

Postby Enkal » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:01 am

I'd say your healers failed! 1.5k heal over 7 seconds with a boss that hits for 5kish about every 2(?) seconds.... looks like a renew only.
Enkal

Postby Drkslayr » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:17 pm

While i dont have much to add to the discussion, I was wondering if someone who has already done gruuls recommends me MTing with my current gear and spec. just want someone to check me out and tell me what i can improve on.

Thank you!
Drkslayr

Previous

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag