Remove Advertisements

So... Magtheridon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

So... Magtheridon

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:20 am

Ok, so the second kara has almost finished their full clear and our guild leader asked me,

"So, this Sunday do you want to tank Magtheridon?"

We might not be going for another week, but he seems pretty intent on me tanking the big guy since the channelers apparently hit for more than him (as one dies each one still standing does more).

Any thoughts from anyone who has been there?
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Lore » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:24 am

They don't anymore.

Channelers are easy, Magtheridon hits hard.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:45 pm

Lore wrote:They don't anymore.

Channelers are easy, Magtheridon hits hard.

Any idea how hard?
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Torakka » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 am

If I remember right, it was around 8k normal attacks and 9-10k cleaves before Demoshout was applied to our warrior MT. Channelers are pretty easy to tank though and don't hit for more than 4-5k even after 3 first are dead.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby Lore » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:37 am

Sounds about right.

We have our best geared Warrior on him, and he still takes a ton of damage.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 am

Torakka wrote:If I remember right, it was around 8k normal attacks and 9-10k cleaves before Demoshout was applied to our warrior MT. Channelers are pretty easy to tank though and don't hit for more than 4-5k even after 3 first are dead.

Any estimate of how fast he hits? Because if those aren't simultaneous or fast he doesn't sound like he hits as hard as high king...
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Lore » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:37 am

Relatively fast, and they can come one right after the other.

He definitely hits harder than Maulgar.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:42 am

Lore wrote:Relatively fast, and they can come one right after the other.

Interesting... but apparently not true. He doesn't hit as hard as Maulgar... but his hitting during the knock around and not having any softer blows (like maulgar's spinny fun) might make it hard. Have to see this weekend when we go back.
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed May 09, 2007 8:20 pm

DracAlexstrasza wrote:

Interesting... but apparently not true. He doesn't hit as hard as Maulgar... but his hitting during the knock around and not having any softer blows (like maulgar's spinny fun) might make it hard. Have to see this weekend when we go back.

Any updates here?
Dragonzbane

Postby Coldaan » Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 am

we are currently trying magtheridon once a week.
i am the one to tank the last channeler, who already hits pretty hard for ~5k sometimes.
i am also usually one of the last men standing, so i have the honor of sometimes being killed by the big guy.^^
he hits me for 6-8k, closer to 8k actually. normal hits (partially blocked). but of course there are no debuffs like demoshount or curse of weakness no him.

still...
he hits very hard.^^
Coldaan

Postby Lore » Thu May 10, 2007 7:09 am

DracAlexstrasza wrote:

Let me rephrase.

He definitely puts out more DPS than Maulgar.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Thu May 10, 2007 8:25 am

Lore wrote:Let me rephrase.

Love this forum. :) For any other role, "hits really hard" is good enough, but the tanks want to know exactly how hard, how often, how many cooldowns.

(I wonder if the really dedicated healers research this stuff, to learn how topped-off they have to keep their tanks.)
Arcand

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Wed May 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Arcand wrote:

Love this forum. :) For any other role, "hits really hard" is good enough, but the tanks want to know exactly how hard, how often, how many cooldowns.

(I wonder if the really dedicated healers research this stuff, to learn how topped-off they have to keep their tanks.)

His regular hits aren't much, it is the cleave that causes problems. (also, the tank getting hit by a shadow bolt volley from the last channeler right after a cleave... that's bad.) Back when we started him I tanked him, made it through a few rotations of the blast wave.
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Mortehl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:04 am

DracAlexstrasza wrote:
Arcand wrote:

His regular hits aren't much, it is the cleave that causes problems. (also, the tank getting hit by a shadow bolt volley from the last channeler right after a cleave... that's bad.) Back when we started him I tanked him, made it through a few rotations of the blast wave.

K here's the deal:

There are 2 kinds of "he hits hard"

1) Channelers are still alive. You seriously need to pick Mr. Mags up fast and get him the hell away from the last 1-2 living channelers. Cleave + Shadow Bolt + Auto Attack = Ouch.

2) The other kind of hits hard is his normal attacks. Mags is going to get you for 4-5k normal shot, 8kish cleave. This is managable if you have healers on you that aren't getting smacked around by infernals. Its super important that the rest of your tanks from the channelers protect your healers from the infernals. Ideally the infernals are being managed by warlocks, but even in a perfect world, 1 or 2 are going to be loose for a few seconds. Those are the few seconds that cause wtfpwnage.

Old topic I know, but I wanted to add some post patch comments.
Mortehl

Postby Thels » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:23 am

Actually, where we'd excel is taking the 1st add, optionally with the 2nd add misdirected on us. We can put up more threat than the other tanks, and can tank the 2nd add without too much extra troubles at the same time. After our targets are down, we are better at picking up the various targets (remember, Exorcism works on them) than warriors are.

Not saying paladins cannot tank the last add or Maggy himself, but it's not playing into your strengths.
ImageImage
Thels

Next

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag