Remove Advertisements

Olm the Summoner (Tankadin Advantage)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Olm the Summoner (Tankadin Advantage)

Postby honorshammer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:05 pm

Posting this here for critque before posting it on my guild forums.

Why you want me tanking Olm the Summoner:

1. I can bubble out of a death coil
2. I can taunt from 40 yards away from him.
3. I can get snap aggro on the Fel Hounds (exorcism) before they are banished. Now when they come out of banish, they go for me and not a healer.
4. Consecrate which is part of my normal threat rotation will tag Fel Hounds as they spawn.
honorshammer

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Why you want to be tanking Olm the Summoner:

- You can pull him with Avenger's Shield, freeing up a misdirect to the Priest tank (I don't know how many hunters you bring, we usually have 1-2)

- Yes you can exorcism quickly the adds he summons getting them on you before a warlock banishes/enslaves

- Why (if you did have it :P) it'd be good to have two tankadins on the summoner ^_^ : one pulls with avenger's shield, gets aggro on the summoner...what some of my druid tanks have problems with is taunting off me before I get death coiled (sometimes it's fairly quick), because they have to get in melee range...another paladin, however, could just RD from wherever and have aggro ^_^ note, if you already have a misdirect going to another tank on this guy, you might as well be that second tank that taunts off the other tank asap to be sure when he gets death coiled it doesn't go for a healer.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Re: Olm the Summoner (Tankadin Advantage)

Postby Arcand » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:11 pm

Honorshammer wrote:1. I can bubble out of a death coil

The way he spams Death Coil, this is pretty meaningless. (He seems to cast it every 6-10? seconds.) Replace it with

1. I can get solid aggro off the pull with Avenger's Shield, freeing up a Misdirect for one of the other tanks.

(You don't want to start the fight this way, but as everyone else is pulled Olm always stands still for a few moments casting something or other before he gets moving, leaving you clear to AS him. Just don't run into Blast Wave range while you're at it, like I do about a third of the time.)
Arcand

Postby sindorei » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:23 am

Arcand wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:1. I can bubble out of a death coil

The way he spams Death Coil, this is pretty meaningless. (He seems to cast it every 6-10? seconds.) Replace it with

1. I can get solid aggro off the pull with Avenger's Shield, freeing up a Misdirect for one of the other tanks.

(You don't want to start the fight this way, but as everyone else is pulled Olm always stands still for a few moments casting something or other before he gets moving, leaving you clear to AS him. Just don't run into Blast Wave range while you're at it, like I do about a third of the time.)

if you pulled Olm with AS and AS hits another target, you will screw the whole raid
sindorei

Postby Gracerath » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:28 am

:oops:

One time I tossed AS, it missed the target I wanted, missed a secondary target and finally hit HKM with a 1300 crit. On the pull.

I just run in and judge now :P
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Afraithe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:47 am

I don't know why ppl are so concerned with the pulling of the summoner, he is the easiest of the bunch to pull, he always starts by summoning a fel hunter, so you can always reach him with a judge before he starts running anywhere. Druid and Pala works nicely on him, Druid charges in, and I put a Judge on him right after, he will stick to us both for the rest of his HP pool.
Afraithe

Postby DeadMilliken » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:21 am

Anyone have any advice on Summoner (*as far as actually dealing with him?)

We were doing "ok", but having a hard time keeping him in position.
(*deathcoil tanks every which way and hard to reposition if he gets out...)
DeadMilliken

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:02 am

There isnt that much to it really. Run in, judge, pull to the tankingspot while the other tank fights for aggro with you. Or if youre the second tank in you just do the same in case the other tank gets deathcoil in the beginning.
Go to the tankspot, consecrate, judge and repeat.
Whenever you get coiled, just run back and build aggro.
We always kill blindeye first so when its time to burn him down, both of the tanks have enough aggro despite the deathcoiling.

Thats pretty much it.
mirkodeluxe

Postby adese » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:00 am

This is how we handle the Summoner. We had lots of problems with this fight until we started this approach.

We tank him back near the entrance of the instance. Whenever we tanked him where he stands, the tanks and/or healers died quickly due to AoE from the mage or shaman.

One of the two tanks on him stands where he is to be tanked. The other stands up front with the people pulling (this person should be a paladin, ideally). The pull is done by doing a Misdirect onto the tank by the entrance.

Once the mobs are pulled, the paladin casts Exorcism on the summoned Felhound (to give the warlock time to enslave him, insurance against a resist) and also use a JoR (or JoB if you are a BE, I suppose) on the Summoner as he runs past.

We've found that as soon as he gets to the other tank, he generally fears him, and runs and aggros someone else (generally the MT on HK). However, with that little bit of aggro from JoR/JoB on him as he runs past, he is stuck on the paladin tank until the lock gets the Felhound under control.
adese

Postby Teah » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Whatever you do, don't toss AS. AS is prolly the worst thing to do in this fight.

It's been said before how do it. The only "advantage" I've found is our taunt being useful for positioning him, but not much else. Usually I tank it with another warrior. The warrior intercepts and then I taunt him back into his corner. He pretty much stays there even though one of us always death coiled. It's much easier for both of us cause I can just run to the tank spot then taunt. Rather then us trying to move him while tanking and getting death coiled left and right..

Tanking him blows, you don't really "tank" but just eat death coils. Honestly I'd rather heal the fight myself.
Teah

Postby jere » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:31 pm

Teah wrote:Whatever you do, don't toss AS. AS is prolly the worst thing to do in this fight.

Why is that? I use AS on him every week. I even use AS to pull the priest when I tank him. AS seems to work fine in this fight. You can time it so it doesn't hit extra mobs, so it seems fine on my end.
jere

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:39 pm

jere wrote:
Teah wrote:Whatever you do, don't toss AS. AS is prolly the worst thing to do in this fight.

Why is that? I use AS on him every week. I even use AS to pull the priest when I tank him. AS seems to work fine in this fight. You can time it so it doesn't hit extra mobs, so it seems fine on my end.

I believe that was a tip for newbies in this tanking position.
With enough range from the other mobs AS works fine, but on the other hand I havent had any troubles using just judgement so I havent even tried AS on the summoner.
mirkodeluxe

Postby Dokb » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:02 pm

I usually never toss AS in this fight, there is too much room for disaster.

The funny thing is that I tank Olm with a taunt frenzy war, he always taunts Olm at the end of a coil (intercept+taunt or intervene on me+taunt), making sure to eat the next. I only get about 1/4 of the coils thanks to him :) Says he needs rage so he taunts... Don't you love wars?
Dokb

Postby Candiru » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:36 am

pull with the decapitator. Seriously, it has a 40 yard range!

Amazing weapon for a paladin tank to have.
Candiru

Postby honorshammer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:07 am

Good news is that I got to tank Olm. Bad news is he if FREAKING annoying to tank.

Block
Death Coil
Taunt
Feared
Taunt
Death Coiled
honorshammer

Next

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag