Remove Advertisements

[10] Sartharion +1

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Eroslight » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm currently doing it with Vesperon alive and apparenlty the drake goes Beserk doing +500% damage and one shotting me. I have no idea what is going on - can anybody help me out?

He's going Berserk as soon as he lands and its seroiusly impossible to live through. No portals are up at all.
Eroslight

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:02 pm

Admittedly, I haven't done a 10 man sarth with a drake yet, but when we did 25 man with Vesperon, we didn't go in the portal. Is there some reason on the 10 man that you have to?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Eroslight » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:11 am

Well I think I figured it out.

Apparently when Sartharion gets to 35% he makes all the remaining drakes Berserk. This must be the incentive to actually kill the drakes and not just OT them.

So when we were doing Sartharion + Vesperon, we got him to sub 35% health BEFORE Vesperon dropped in, thus Berserking instantly.

We did after several attempts after where we stopped DPS at 50% and never had an issue.

Admittedly we ended up wiping on 3 drakes for 2 hours, then 2 drakes for 1 hour, then 1 drake for 3 wipes, then we did 0 drakes and burned our computers because we didn't have a fucking enh shaman/bloodlust.
Eroslight

Postby omnomlets » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:19 pm

We just got our first +1 kill after a few wipes. We did Vesp, but I wonder if Shadron would have been easier. Picking up fire elementals, dodging fire waves, and keeping Vesp from breathing on the raid was a lot of work, but it would have been the same with any drake. I wonder if having the MT tank both drake and sarth and leave the OT some more freedom would have helped.

In any case, we ignored the Vesp portal but had one wipe because of sloppyness when we finally did have to go in - fire spawns killed our "out" healers. Just make sure that the tank on Sarth knows he's gotta worry about them while you're in the portal if you're OTing. (I say "OT" but I would put your most experienced tank on the drake/elems and let the weaker tank deal with sarth).

Be careful with current pally taunt, if the sarth tank picks up a fire elem you have to let him have it, I taunted sarth off of him once (and since he was a pally too we had some fun times fixing it)
omnomlets

Postby Falibard » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:05 am

It can get pretty dangerous having one tank do Sarth and a drake. In early attempts my group tried to do it this way and I would just randomly get instagibbed. All it takes is one bad combo of melee attacks and breathes too quickly (I think it was about ~25k in 1 second, this was with Vesperon up).

On a side note, would a deathknight's anti-magic bubble thing mitigate breath damage? That would be another interesting way to approach the double breath situation. I seem to remember someone mentioning that dragon's breath behaves differently than a school of "magic", but that could all be in my head.
Falibard

Postby Falibard » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:10 am

Fridmarr wrote:Admittedly, I haven't done a 10 man sarth with a drake yet, but when we did 25 man with Vesperon, we didn't go in the portal. Is there some reason on the 10 man that you have to?

You know... I half wonder if the buff for the portals that will be included in the next patch is to make the fight harder or easier. My guess is that giving immunity would make the fight easier, however you'll lose quite a bit of dps while they're in the portal, thus making the fight longer.
Falibard

Postby Eroslight » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:56 am

DK's are the Kings of MTing sarth due to their CD's mitigating breaths which count as a spell.

They are also great at picking up the whelps/drakes due to not having to stand on top of the portal to get aggro on spawning drakes (DnD not where you are standing = secks)

It is quite frustrating being a pally on this fight. I really fell like I'm hurting the raid more then anything and I'm the tank lead/raid leader.

I haven't felt like this since pre 2.1 on Kael.

le sigh.
Eroslight

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:17 am

Eroslight wrote:I haven't felt like this since pre 2.1 on Kael.

le sigh.

I don't quite understand your meaning with this comment. Care to elaborate?
Belloc

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:49 pm

I assume he means he feels like Tankadins are the worst tank on this encounter, though I would still disagree. Every time we do this fight I still do adds and let the Warrior tank Sarth because it's far easier for me to pick up adds than it is for the warrior tank.
Ashmadai

Postby lethario » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 am

I was on Tenebron + Whelps + Fire Elementals for our attempts the other night. I have a few questions now that I've seen it in action:

-What's the recommended gear level for the OT when doing Sath+1?
We realized after a few attempts that my gear was simply not up to the task. I'm still wearing mostly blues - Naxx10 has not been kind so far.

-Does Shadow/Fire resist help mitigate the damage? Is it worth it?
I don't have any resist gear left from BC, but I suppose we could craft another set. I do have a stash of Chromatic Resist flasks.

-What is the range on Sath's cleave and tail swipe?
I was trying to stand parallel to the MT and Sath, but we'd like to avoid overlapping damage if possible.

-Is there any way to anticipate when a breath is coming?
I see that it is instant cast, but could not tell if there was a cooldown or not.

Picking up the dragon + all the adds proved rather difficult - healers were pulling aggro on the whelps because they had to heal me so much, and the fire elementals ran willy-nilly because I was afraid to get the rest of the raid breathed on. My consecrate, taunt and shield were always on cooldown.

There's just so much for the OT to do in this one, I think I need a lot more practice...
lethario

Postby Darkkopi » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:53 am

I just did it with Sarth+Tenebron. I was tanking Tenebron, whelps and fire elem. Another less geared tank was tanking Sarth. The Whelps does a stacking -armor debuff which really hurts if it stacks up to 10 stacks (-15000armor). I had to divine prot to reduce the dmg taken.
Darkkopi

Postby Kracus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:09 pm

We left the whelp - 100% shadow damage drake up. I was tanking the drake , warrior on the boss and feral druid scooping up adds still the drake died.

It was a mess but we got it on the 2nd attempt. I'm only saying a mess for how hectic it is, but really if everyone just stays to the plan of not getting hit by the lava waves, they drop fast. The drakes are not hard to kill and didn't hit much harder. But that is only the drake we did as I believe he doesn't get a damage buff from the portal being open.

did it on 25 man last night with pugs (or I should say attempted) much more of a mess. Too many people everywhere and I was running out of mana trying to ae everything on to me.
"The sun does not grant anything, it is simply there. And flowers simply bloom. Not for anyone's sake."
I am Warlock
Kracus

Postby Splug » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Belloc wrote:
Eroslight wrote:I haven't felt like this since pre 2.1 on Kael.

le sigh.

I don't quite understand your meaning with this comment. Care to elaborate?
I think his point is that paladins are outstrapped by other tanking classes on the encounter by a sufficient margin that he feels useless. While I do agree death knights are ideal for Sartharian tanking due to the large number of cooldowns, keep in mind that 3.0.8 is reducing the effectiveness of bone armor significantly. I'm not sure if it will be enough to survive one of the one-shot breaths alone, and that could potentially make a significant difference there.

As for the offtank scenario, keep in mind tanking is a two-fold task. Death knights do have a major convenience advantage in being able to pick up spawns remotely via death and decay, so there's a lot less drake mobility needed, and breaths aren't as risky. However, I do believe paladins will have a mitigative advantage if they're able to find a way to handle the spawn pickup. Whelps hit for low amounts, as do elementals - having a block on almost all of the attacks (figuring holy shield will be ripped through quickly) will make a very significant reduction to damage intake, even if the drakes are hitting for about the same damage on either target. Also, I'm confident paladins are still going to have an easier time picking up whelps/elementals than warriors or druids do. So think of it as being #2 for pickup convenience, and #1 for OT mitigation - which really isn't a horrible place to be in.

Finally, I'm not sure how much of the paladin's normal threat cycle gets disrupted to pick up adds, but I do know I'm pretty much just using rune strike, autoattack, and diseases on my deathknight. I have to drop down to about one scourge strike per 25 seconds instead of 4-5 per 20 to feed all the AE attacks; we had to script hand of salvation on our fury warrior into our kill strategy to counter that.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 pm

We did some playing around with S+2 [10] over the holidays. Couldn't get it down due to a few key people being under-geared, and having a crappy makeup (no magelocks made "AE whelps now" a bit problematic....)

By abusing JoL threat and careful use of BoP/Bubble for whelp spawn, I was able to tank drakes and adds while warrior tanked Sarth.

The whelps literally hit for zero. I was fully blocking their attacks. Can't beat that mitigation.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby vwest87 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Smartos wrote:We always do it with Shadron alive. It might be a little bit more difficult than the other two dragons, but it's also pretty easy if your raid is intelligent enough to move out of the waves. When Shadron lands, we completely ignore the portals until he's dead. The other tank, whoever it is, takes Sartharion and I take Shadron and the little fire elementals. Shadron is nuked down, then the portal mob is killed and after that, Sartharion is a joke.

When ignoring the portals for Shadron the damage done to him is majorly reduced isn't it or am I thinking of a different drake?

My guild is looking to do shadron as our first drake up as I am currently sitting at 30425 hp unbuffed and around 39k when buffed. Could you by chance describe what you do as far as kill order for this, because by how you are saying this I'm unsure if you are killing to drake or Sarth first, though I understand that you aren't going through the drakes portal until the drake is dead. Also one last thing where are you tanking the drake at in comparison to where Sarth is being tanked?
vwest87

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon