Warrior Tank or Pally Tank for Naxx ?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Kelaan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:36 am

Amarant_Pally wrote:the times where I see people gaining make me thing threat isn't going to scale as well as Blizzard might have intended.

I expect that the hunters and rogues just haven't been using their threat transfers (Misdirect, Tricks of the Trade) and dumps (FD, vanish, feint). DPS have been generally able to burn full-throttle (or close thereto) for most fights, it seems like.
Kelaan

Postby Mehnalas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:42 am

I prefer when possible to run with two different tanks for the separate buffs they bring as well as utility.
Lore(lol) wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nope.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mehnalas
Mehnalas

Postby Equitas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:59 pm

MTD every boss so far for our guild now i just rotate with warriors, sometimes i spec heal when im bored ^^
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby phaqueue » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:09 am

Also, play not only to the strengths of those tanking... but for DPS as well...

I normally run Naxx-10 with my roommate - who plays a feral druid... like some of the things mentioned... I maintank Patchwerk - he takes HS - it works better that way...

On most fights... I end up main tanking - mostly because his DPS in catform > my DPS as prot spec... especially any fight with an OT who is not needed the whole time - for example... Maexxna... he is in cat form the entire time until the spiders spawn... then shifts to bear - swipes them up, then back to cat when they're dead...

remember - if you're switching out tanks for things like this - look at both sides :)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby vschiano2008 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:50 am

some fights with heavy spawning adds (a good many of them) are where a pally tank shines- doing his role and aoe tanking adds. lol @ undeads.

on a fight requiring 1 tank, ie thaddius, heigan, etc, my 10 man likes to let the pally tank it and the druid go kitty for dps. no point in using 2 tanks, and kitty dps > protpally OT dps. plus, then you also open up the option for easy brez+innervates.

i dont really like running pally/warrior for 10's. not because we have to share loot, but because they dont bring as much to the raid as a druid or a DK would. liek i said, it limits the 'extra' dps you could have by running a druid and even a DK tank.
vschiano2008

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:16 pm

In a melee heavy group sunder armor and battle/commanding shout is a lot of ultility.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Re: Warrior Tank or Pally Tank for Naxx ?

Postby aleyona » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Risar wrote:What is your opinion and why? Being an OT Im always having to hold back to try to stay only second on threat, because If I unleash everything I have I will out threat almost anyone in the run. :roll:

Having massive threat is nice, but doesn't have the same value it did before. Generally speaking, put your best geared tank as your MT. Beyond that there are certain fights that should be done differently.

Patchwerk - Best geared (most HP/avoidance) should be the OT for the fight
Grobbulus - Pally tank should MT if you have one - because if you use righteous defense on the slimes you WILL pull grobbulus, possibly wiping your raid (not that that's ever happened to me or anything).

Those are the only two that I can think of that I would specifically prefer one tank over another. Being a prot pally, I would prefer to tank most fights. You will run out of mana if you're not tanking - a warrior will not get as much rage, but their dps will suffer less than yours (and yours will increase more by tanking than theirs).

As for big kitty and dk's... I don't know much about them anymore - magic based fights I prefer a dk - otherwise their threat gen sucks too much for them to be considered for mt positions.
aleyona

Postby majiben » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:35 pm

I must disagree with your assement of Grobbulus. An AS to the boss (yes to the boss, it saves time targeting the slime) will pull the slime off the kiting tank, lickity split. The slimes can also be stunned, allowing the kiter to move the boss away while you build if for some reason you falied to pull them off. Also, you can self cleanse the poison when you get into a safe spot instead of waiting for it to go off.

Basically put your best kiter on the boss.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Palad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:52 am

Majiben wrote:I must disagree with your assement of Grobbulus. An AS to the boss (yes to the boss, it saves time targeting the slime) will pull the slime off the kiting tank, lickity split. The slimes can also be stunned, allowing the kiter to move the boss away while you build if for some reason you falied to pull them off. Also, you can self cleanse the poison when you get into a safe spot instead of waiting for it to go off.

Basically put your best kiter on the boss.

Pally tanks Grobbulus and adds. have any other tanks dps.
CC = Continuous Consecration
Palad

Postby phaqueue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:16 am

Only other fight I would disagree with is Gluth... I run 10 man every week, and generally run 25 man (alt/pug with roommate) and I have yet to ever tank gluth...

pally tank on adds in this fight is amazing... we have so many tools to stay alive while kiting... and it allows the ret pallys/dks/mages/hunters/whatever you use to do their other job...

on 10 man - a DPS druid/warrior/DK can ot the boss by throwing on tank gear/shield (if applicable) and taunting when approproiate (we have a DPS warrior do it every week)

in 25 man - you will generally have 3 tanks anyways... (at least we do)

for the rest of the fights... it's all about playing to the strengths of the different tanks and to their gear/skill level

My roommate will always tank Maexxna, he also always takes adds on faerlina (AMS is good here), I take Loatheb cause block-capped/block value on there is amazing... and I take basically 0 damage...

most fights where it doesn't matter - I main tank - just because as a DK he deals a great deal more damage as tank spec than I do... so it makes more sense...

play to the strengths and weaknesses - based on fight, gear and skill
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon