locked to empty Archavon-10

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

locked to empty Archavon-10

Postby Brute » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:52 am

So we put together a little guild raid to go take him out, only to kill the trash up to him and find him missing in action.

Apparently (as far as we could figure) someone had done it earlier in the week. But for some reason, it saved the rest of us to his empty raid ID upon entering the instance. Funny, as raids used to only save you after you'd killed a boss.

Do you think I could ticket a GM to get my raid ID removed for this instance, and how can you find out who the offender was since no one fessed up?

Also, as an aside, wtf is up with CoT: Strat saving you to the instance when the first wave pops? ADD warrior started the instance while the healer was afk, then group disbanded, but everyone was saved and couldn't get another group to go in there.
Brute

Postby Ewige » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:56 am

From experience tickets don't help in this case. I feelz your pain.
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
Ewige

Postby Belloc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:11 am

Raid lock outs (saving) has functioned identically to how it functions now since... MC or BWL. It hasn't changed at all since then.

If you enter a raid/heroic that has a boss down, you will be saved the moment you zone in. If ANYONE has become saved to that instance, you will be saved when you zone in. You don't have to kill anything, as long as the instance has a saved ID, you're going to be saved upon zoning in.

Furthermore, the only way to acquire a raid ID from someone else is if they are the raid leader. We could have a 10 man raid with 8 people saved to an instance, but if you and I are not saved and I am the raid leader, you will zone into a fresh instance. If one of those 8 people are the raid leader, you and I will zone into a saved instance.

Make sure the raid leader isn't saved before zoning in. Or put him on an ignore list because he's obviously too stupid to understand raid lockout periods and you don't want him ruining your raids.
Belloc

Postby Brute » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:36 am

Interesting; thanks for the info.

Apparently I've been wrong all this time on how raid ID's were saved. Hasn't been an issue till now.

I don't suppose there's a way to look at someone and see if they're saved or not... there really should be.
Brute

Postby Lore » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:38 am

If you zoned into an empty Archavon, the raid leader was saved.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Belloc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:40 am

Brute wrote:Interesting; thanks for the info.

Apparently I've been wrong all this time on how raid ID's were saved. Hasn't been an issue till now.

I don't suppose there's a way to look at someone and see if they're saved or not... there really should be.
Yeah, it should really prompt the player asking if they want to zone into the saved instance.

Hopefully they'll do that sometime.

But, nope, no way to tell right now without having people zone in ahead of you and asking.
Belloc

Postby Lore » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:42 am

It's generally not a problem because usually people don't form new raids for things they've already cleared :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby inthedrops » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:23 am

Lore wrote:It's generally not a problem because usually people don't form new raids for things they've already cleared :P

It's a problem in WotlK now because the same portal is used for 10/25 man and it's easy for the raid leader to forget to set to normal/heroic. It was much less of an issue in TBC because you had to really do something dumb to zone into a wrong portal.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:45 am

The real problem comes in from people not setting the instance size, and then someone zoning in and getting saved. Then the raid leader realizes his mistake, calls for everyone to zone out, and the raid continues merrily along doing the correct instance. A few hours later, one of the people who was accidentally saved to the wrong instance size decides he wants to run a group for that and forms a raid, not realizing he was accidentally saved while zoning in earlier.

So the initial error is usually something the raid leader is aware of screwing up; the second tier (propagated) error is the one that comes out of nowhere, and usually results in the raid leader accusing someone else of getting the whole raid saved, as he himself has not done it either.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Brute » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:15 pm

that sheds some light on it then. I will request people look at their raid ID's before I zone into anything from now on.
Brute

Postby Splug » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 pm

The only one you have to worry about is the actual raid leader, and whether the dungeon size is set correctly. Anyone else who is saved will just zone into their own instance, but will not impair you.

The problem is making sure the raid leader didn't himself get accidentally saved.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon