Remove Advertisements

Pre-raid tank necks

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Pre-raid tank necks

Postby rodos » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:06 am

So, there are a couple of quests that reward decent blue neck pieces. I'm trying to gear up both a ret set (current spec) and a prot set, and wonder which is the best option to take from each quest.

Quest 1 rewards:
Ret - Severed Noose of Westwind
Prot - Reinforced Titanium Neckguard

Quest 2 Rewards:
Ret - Choker of the Betrayer
Prot -Betrayer's Choker

I'm leaning to the Severed Noose for Ret (no "wasted" points in stam), and the Betrayer's for Prot (delicious stam plus yellow socket for def and even more stam). My only reservation is that the hit rating on the Betrayer's seems a bit of a waste.

Thoughts?
rodos

Postby amh » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:11 am

Quest1: ret

Quest2: prot

I think the yellow socket in the 2-prot neck outweighs the dodge on 1-prot, since red gems are meh. Unless you need it for meta-gem, but you can probably slip a red one in your belt buckle for example.

The hit isn´t exactly wasted, just not as attractive as the dodge might seem.

Also +22 stam on the 2-prot regardless of gemming, in addition to the fact the the 1-ret is far superior to the 2-ret (agi > stam)

I keep ninja-editing this post. Looking a bit closer at what you wrote I think I´ll just say "I agree".
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:44 am

Honestly...

I would actually try to pick up a Burning Skull Pendant (I believe that's the name) from the AH... very nice tanking neck... not too expensive on my server (around 50-60g...)

I think it's superior to both of these necks... just my opinon tho
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby AusDante » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:10 am

yeah, I banked my betrayer for the burning skull today
AusDante

Postby kenshin648 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:55 am

Why not just run heroics until you get 25 badges and buy that one?
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby daemonym » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:56 am

i took the betrayer neck and put a +12def gem in it and replaced a few days later with the 25 emblem one. it is definitely a very solid choice fro tanking, more so than the other option you gave imo. especially because w/o full saronite/daunting gear getting uncrit is difficult and even then, saronite doesn't have anything else aside from defense and stam.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Erutaron » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:41 am

I used the the Betrayers with a def gem for a long time while I collected badges for the Military Chain.

As it so happens the night I was in Gun'Drak to get my 25th badge for the neck, the BSP dropped.....
Erutaron

Postby kenshin648 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:43 am

The BSP dropped shortly after one of my friends had gotten the badge neck.
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby rodos » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:43 pm

kenshin648 wrote:Why not just run heroics until you get 25 badges and buy that one?
I usually only have time for about one heroic per week, maybe 2. I probably won't see a lot of badges until my guild starts up regular Naxx raids.

Thanks to those who suggested Burning Skull. I'll start checking the AH.
rodos

Postby zelah » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:41 pm

my group of people have run naxx for a few weeks now 10 man, and tonight we managed to kill kelthuzad. it took us just about 4 hours to clear all four quarters the night before. now, maybe your guild will have better performance from that off the bat, but what I'm saying is, if you have say a couple hours for naxx, that's enough time to do 4 heroics. gundrak will get you 5, draktheron 4, maybe pick up the daily, could be 5 or 6 badges for that, and then one more, say 3 badges. that should net you 14 or 15 badges in about 2 hours. heroics are certainly quicker to collect badges in, than 10 man naxx, starting out

just my thoughts
zelah

Postby phaqueue » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:58 am

not only are they quicker than naxx generally... they are infinitely quicker than TBC heroics were for the most part...

with a decent/good group:

Azjol Nerub = 20 min or so from first pull to last boss down (3 badges)
Nexus = 30-40 min clear... (5 badges)
Violet Hold = 20-30 min (no wipes - 3 badges)

not to mention that the daily will make it even better in some of these...

really not too hard to get badges even on limited time - on that note though - I would rock the BSP until you get some other badge upgrades (namely - LIBRAM)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice