Block Cap Template

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Block Cap Template

Postby Havén » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 pm

So,

I am feeling fairly frustrated. I have been playing around with my gear to try and reach the block cap using heroic and badge gear. Is is possible to get the block cap purely with heroic and badge loot gear?

Can any1 slap together a template?

I'm a big believer in straight upgrades. I don't like big changes that means i have to re-gem to fix defence cap etc. I'm pretty comfortable with my gear i have 27k HP and am MT in Naxx, but i would rather be relaxed. I keep looking at loot tables and sighing at the loss in something to gain a little, its like playing on a see-saw.
Image
Havén
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:18 am

Postby majiben » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:52 pm

Yes it is possible and no you shouldn't try. There was someone in the forum below who wrote up a list if you feel like looking for it
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby tullock » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:52 am

If you took my gear and swapped the stam trinket for the block rating trinket from violet hold, i bet i would be block capped while raid buffed. Though it took alot of heroics to get all this stuff together i did it with no naxx drops. Im something like 4% off according to tankadin, so if you pad that 2% for the harsh and hard to calculate diminishing return on miss, lets say 6% off unbuffed. Im certain i could come up with 6% through that trinket, a dodge + def elixir, motw, kings, and SoE totem/horn of winter.


Edit: Tullock of azjol-nerub, human paladin, if you want to armory me.
User avatar
tullock
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Postby Igrado » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:39 am

Image
User avatar
Igrado
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:47 am
Location: VA, USA

Postby Pensz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 am

Pensz
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Windy City, USA

Postby Valoel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:12 am

block capped (click sig)
Valoel
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:45 am

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:53 pm

I have a question on stat balancing with regards to block capping.

First off, I have been playing with some enchants/gems, so the armory might not show me in perfect gear.

I am about half geared from raids as well as some badge/heroic gear. I still have a blue helm, blue bracers, and my BC stam trinket however.

My question is this. As I have been getting more upgrades, I have primarily ensured that I maintain the defense cap. Through my upgrades my stamina, dodge, parry, and armor have steadily rose. On the downside my block rating has hardly moved, as well as my block value. Because of this I am still quite a ways away from being block capped (in recent typical gear I believe it's around 90%).

Up to this point I have kept all of my block gear I recieved and can get up to about 97% with all block gear along with about 300 extra block value, but my health and avoidance take a pretty large hit. I honestly haven't tried to focus on being block capped yet, as I figured as long as I have some block gear with me I can get there when the gear comes.

This has basically been my strategy for gearing thus far, and am curious about how much I could sacrafice to get close to the block cap. As of right now our healers really don't have any trouble keeping me up, and maybe it's a bleedover from my BC raiding days, but it hurts to drop that much avoidance just to get block capped.

PS: largest question in my mind right now is the boots from Anub which have loads of block rating, block value, etc. but I take about a 700 hp drop in taking that. Usually a small stam drop doesn't bother me, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it.
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Postby Edc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Well you need to consider about how important you value to be block capped over other stats. In the end a mix of all trades is still the best to go as a tank. If you end up sacrificing to much to hit that cap, then don't do it, but when you can get it without to much sacrifice on other stats (mainly stam, since pure avoidance does contribute to being blockcapped) then I would say go for it, because being block capped lowers incoming hits passively with your blockvalue (assuming you are capable to keep up holy shield 24/7)
Paladin / 70 / Sylvanas
Edc
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Edc wrote:Well you need to consider about how important you value to be block capped over other stats. In the end a mix of all trades is still the best to go as a tank. If you end up sacrificing to much to hit that cap, then don't do it, but when you can get it without to much sacrifice on other stats (mainly stam, since pure avoidance does contribute to being blockcapped) then I would say go for it, because being block capped lowers incoming hits passively with your blockvalue (assuming you are capable to keep up holy shield 24/7)


Agreed, and that is precisely what I have been trying to do.

I guess my main immediate question has to do with the Inexorable Sabatons I have in my bags from Anub'Rekhan. Is the 3.5% block rating and 77 block value worth losing almost 700 hit points at this point?
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Postby Arcand » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Holyfuri wrote:I guess my main immediate question has to do with the Inexorable Sabatons I have in my bags from Anub'Rekhan. Is the 3.5% block rating and 77 block value worth losing almost 700 hit points at this point?


I'm a pretty bad stamina whore, but I'd give up 700 health for 3.5% and 77 in most circumstances.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Daenerys » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:09 pm

This is a noob question, and I've asked it before, but I'm trying to figure out just how to calculate "block cap".. I see people claiming to be block capped, but I add up their avoidance + holy shield and it's only like 90%. What am I supposed to be adding up? I had thought that it was dodge+parry+block+Holy Shield = 102.4%? (and if so, it seems nigh impossible to get block capped right now) If not, what else am I suppose to calculate into the equation?

My old level 70 macro gives me around ~96-98% avoidance (was 98 before but I lost a little, will gain more once I finally get Lavanthor's Talisman to drop) but if I manully add up my avoidance, it's only like 87%. What am I missing?
Image
Daenerys
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Postby Arcand » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Daenerys wrote:This is a noob question, and I've asked it before, but I'm trying to figure out just how to calculate "block cap".. I see people claiming to be block capped, but I add up their avoidance + holy shield and it's only like 90%. What am I supposed to be adding up? I had thought that it was dodge+parry+block+Holy Shield = 102.4%? (and if so, it seems nigh impossible to get block capped right now) If not, what else am I suppose to calculate into the equation?


You have a base 5% chance to be missed, which isn't mentioned anywhere on the character sheet. Also, if you mouse over your defense, that gives you some additional chance to be missed, probably around 5 or 6%. Add those to the total and try to make it to 102.4%.

Then try to get a little bit higher, because you're being hurt by the not-yet-well-understood diminishing returns even though they aren't shown on the sheet.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Daenerys » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Arcand wrote:You have a base 5% chance to be missed, which isn't mentioned anywhere on the character sheet. Also, if you mouse over your defense, that gives you some additional chance to be missed, probably around 5 or 6%. Add those to the total and try to make it to 102.4%.

Then try to get a little bit higher, because you're being hurt by the not-yet-well-understood diminishing returns even though they aren't shown on the sheet.


OK, thank you. that helps. so my avoidance is at least above 90% :p altho I think the defense rating stuff already shows on the char sheet.. at least, if i unequip a stam trinket and replace it with Seal of the Pantheon, my dodge/parry/block goes up) so that may already be showing up on the sheet.
Image
Daenerys
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Postby Arcand » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:52 pm

Daenerys wrote:...I think the defense rating stuff already shows on the char sheet.. at least, if i unequip a stam trinket and replace it with Seal of the Pantheon, my dodge/parry/block goes up) so that may already be showing up on the sheet.


The effect of defense on block/parry/dodge is included in those numbers, yes. The problem is that they don't have a row for Miss on the sheet; you have to go looking for the bonus amount under your Defense skill, and you have to know about the base 5% by reading about it somewhere like here.

So you're at least to 95%, and if you're uncrittable you have at least an additional 5.6% to be missed so you're somewhere around 100.6%.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Daenerys » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Arcand wrote:
The effect of defense on block/parry/dodge is included in those numbers, yes. The problem is that they don't have a row for Miss on the sheet; you have to go looking for the bonus amount under your Defense skill, and you have to know about the base 5% by reading about it somewhere like here.

So you're at least to 95%, and if you're uncrittable you have at least an additional 5.6% to be missed so you're somewhere around 100.6%.


ok, cool. Thank you for the help. I guess I will be block capped with Lavanthor's Talisman, whenever it drops. :D
Image
Daenerys
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 pm


Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ribet and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Ribet and 1 guest