[25] Patchwerk Placement

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Patchwerk Placement

Postby Rozenwyn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:40 pm

I looked and didn't see anything else on this so I hope I'm not repeating a topic already discussed.

We tried Naxx 25 for the first time tonight. I was MT. Had another paladin, a warrior, and a DK for OT's.

We were all taking mass damage from the hatefuls. We are not sure how to have our placement here. Sometimes the melee was even getting killed before the OT's. Can someone help me out here? Thanks so much :D
Rozenwyn

Postby Kelarik » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:46 pm

WoWWiki wrote:Patchwerk will use this ability at a 1 second frequency on the target in melee range with the highest HP who is also one of the top three on Patchwerk's aggro list. Cannot be used on the main tank unless there are no other targets. Does 53625 to 56375 raw physical damage which can mitigated by armour and parried/dodged. This is about 23,000 damage on a partially Naxxramas geared tank. This ability will add threat to the three most threatening on Patchwerk's aggro list.

It sounds like your melee DPS are going over the threat of your tanks. As for positioning, it doesn't really matter on this fight, MT in front, everyone else behind. Especially the melee DPS, don't want to give him more haste from parrying.
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Rozenwyn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:53 pm

so the other tank(s) don't need to be on/near/with me?

the combat log did also show him hitting me with the hateful strike
Rozenwyn

Postby Kelarik » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I haven't done the fight yet so don't know the specifics, all I know is what WoWWiki has told me in my research for our first run into that wing this coming weekend.
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby amh » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:39 am

Stand like that, and don't move for the entire fight. Get a misdirection. If your off-tanks are out of melee range (they can stand behind him), he will start gibbing melee.

My Mac died yesterday, so I'm using Paint today >.>
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:40 am

The OT should stand on top of the MT for easier chain healing and holy light glyph splashs.

Patchwerk does not parry haste and in 25 men he's not really a DPS check so their loss of DPS due to parryes is not important.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Rozenwyn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:41 pm

ok i've had a new thing come up (these are all non tanks telling me things too....)
I have the highest HP of all the tanks by approximately 2k when fully buffed, should I NOT be MT, or does it matter?
Rozenwyn

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Rozenwyn wrote:so the other tank(s) don't need to be on/near/with me?

the combat log did also show him hitting me with the hateful strike

He doesn't hit the MT with hateful strike, if he was hitting you with it, either you were the only one left in range, or the OTs took over your threat. Positioning really doesn't matter.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Rozenwyn wrote:ok i've had a new thing come up (these are all non tanks telling me things too....)
I have the highest HP of all the tanks by approximately 2k when fully buffed, should I NOT be MT, or does it matter?

Well the OTs take the most damage here, so you may want to OT, but no it doesn't matter. Whoever is first on his aggro list will not be hit by a hateful strike.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Doktah » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 pm

What works for my guild is having 3 tanks stand against the wall by frogger. Then the dps just stand behind him and do their thing. The 3 tanks dont really matter who they are but we have 2 pallys and a druid. The three of us just stand on top of each other and it works for us. We have gotten every achievement for patchwork with this setup.
Doktah

Postby DeadMilliken » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:40 pm

A quick explanation of Hatefuls on Patchwerk 25man:

Hateful rules:
Hateful is cast ever second. Hateful tanks MUST be topped off fast.

No tank can survive 2 unavoided hateful strikes without being under the effects of a damage reduction cooldown (like shield wall).

Hateful can only strike the top 3 people on Threat.

The Hateful cannot strike the maintank (1) target unless there is no valid 2 or 3 target in range.

The Hateful will strike the target with the highest HP between 2&3

The Hateful strike has a range GREATER than melee range (DO NOT believe wowwiki when it says melee range). I have absolutely had careless ranged dps warlocks who decided to push threat get a hateful in the face with both offtanks alive to laugh at said warlock. The warlock was absolutely not at max range.

Hateful can be dodged, parried, blocked and missed.

Hateful "SHOULD" be absorbable via pally bubble as the mechanic functions this on other like fights with simular mechanics. I have not yet been crazy enough to try it when hateful tanking.
DeadMilliken

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:A quick explanation of Hatefuls on Patchwerk 25man:

Hateful rules:
Hateful is cast ever second. Hateful tanks MUST be topped off fast.

No tank can survive 2 unavoided hateful strikes without being under the effects of a damage reduction cooldown (like shield wall).

Hateful can only strike the top 3 people on Threat.

The Hateful cannot strike the maintank (1) target unless there is no valid 2 or 3 target in range.

The Hateful will strike the target with the highest HP between 2&3

The Hateful strike has a range GREATER than melee range (DO NOT believe wowwiki when it says melee range). I have absolutely had careless ranged dps warlocks who decided to push threat get a hateful in the face with both offtanks alive to laugh at said warlock. The warlock was absolutely not at max range.

Hateful can be dodged, parried, blocked and missed.

Hateful "SHOULD" be absorbable via pally bubble as the mechanic functions this on other like fights with simular mechanics. I have not yet been crazy enough to try it when hateful tanking.

Speculation, but Hateful isn't split, so I assume it's not absorbed by the bubble. It hits a specific target and if you are bubbled, you aren't a valid target. The saber lash type mechanic, is positional and not targeted at one person.

(Yes, I realize Patch doesn't actually change targets)
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Rozenwyn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:11 pm

is it highest max hp or highest current hp?

example: OT #1 and 2 have 32k max hp, but 18k current hp.
rogue has 22k max hp and is missing nothing.
will rogue get hit?
Rozenwyn

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Rozenwyn wrote:is it highest max hp or highest current hp?

example: OT #1 and 2 have 32k max hp, but 18k current hp.
rogue has 22k max hp and is missing nothing.
will rogue get hit?

Your rogue will get hit, it's current HP. That's why you have to top them off fast.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby DeadMilliken » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:00 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Speculation, but Hateful isn't split, so I assume it's not absorbed by the bubble. It hits a specific target and if you are bubbled, you aren't a valid target. The saber lash type mechanic, is positional and not targeted at one person.

(Yes, I realize Patch doesn't actually change targets)

I was talking more about Curator and Gruul honestly....
(*though that's Hurtful vs Hateful)

Then again bubble wall (divine protection) absolutely will work and no chance involved...so why bother.
DeadMilliken

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon