Remove Advertisements

Dropping Eng. - Replace w/JCing or Enchanting?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Taragor » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:01 am

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40767

I made two of them and have them both as trinkets until I get the defense trinket...if i need it, if not ill take the 162 stamina FTW. I made my goggles at 74 and havent looked back, with the def meta gem and a yellow def gem I'm very happy. Yea Engineering is expensive to level but I think each profession has its drawbacks. I was thinking of dropping mining for BS until I saw how much bars cost and how happy i am to make my own for the titansteel stuff. To each his own i guess. An yes the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41121
will be fun PvP. Havent done many BG's Im 79 and trying to hit 80 by the weekend then Ill have some PvP fun time =)
Taragor

Postby Metheoro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:48 am

Ocin wrote:I think you're right about new stuff coming down the line, but I have a feeling there will be raid equivalent drops, but no bonus similar to BS sockets coming to engineering.

why would that happen?
in BC the tankatronic googles where the only ones.
Metheoro

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:08 am

Metheoro wrote:
Ocin wrote:I think you're right about new stuff coming down the line, but I have a feeling there will be raid equivalent drops, but no bonus similar to BS sockets coming to engineering.

why would that happen?
in BC the tankatronic googles where the only ones.

No they weren't, I loved my Hard Khorium Goggles.

I'll be dropping my 450 engi to level up JC or BS as soon as I get Gothik or t7 helm though, I really don't want to have to wait another year to get further benefit out of the profession. Not before I've crafted my warrior a gun and a million arrows and bullets for my hunter though!
Rhiannon

Postby Senamin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:56 am

Along the same lines... I'm Engineering / Alchemy myself. I don't have the gathering skills to level them properly without spending a lot in the AH. I know i want to drop at least one of the professions and either level mining or herbalism to go with it. But I am going to be a raid tank and the benefits of dropping both skills and leveling up mining and blacksmithing seems good. What do you guys think i should do? I need a 3rd opinion as this is wreaking my brain...
Senamin 80 Dwarf Paladin - Smolderthorn - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Senamin
Senamin

Postby Barathorn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 am

Senamin wrote:Along the same lines... I'm Engineering / Alchemy myself. I don't have the gathering skills to level them properly without spending a lot in the AH. I know i want to drop at least one of the professions and either level mining or herbalism to go with it. But I am going to be a raid tank and the benefits of dropping both skills and leveling up mining and blacksmithing seems good. What do you guys think i should do? I need a 3rd opinion as this is wreaking my brain...

I am also Engineering/Alchemy. I like the synergy these two skills have and while they probably cannot be considered the best for end game raiding I don't think I would change them. I did consider JC but I already have JC/Enchanting on my Shaman and I hate duplicating crafting skills on characters. It has cost me around 4k to level Engineering to 448 and Alchemy to 435, I anticipate I will easily make that back as soon as I can make the 2 engineering guns and the price of mats for flasks start falling.

If I had my choice of skills at 430+ again what would I go for? Probably BS/JC for the extra sockets and gems. As it is, I am happy with what I have.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Aurelie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 am

I picked up Engi on my pally back when it was still an alt in BC. Being that it wasn't going to be a raiding toon I wanted the best crafted gear I could get. Had a couple of guildies drag me into a heroic in my late 60's, got my nether and had myself the best helm until t6.

I don't have mining and spent a ridiculous amount of gold leveling Engineering for the helm and being that it was a sidegrade to the t7, I've passed up on it for other guildies. Now that I have a t7.5 helm that I really can't justify not upgrading to, I think I'm going to drop Engi and pick up JCing. The benefits of JC outweigh the benefits of Engi by far at this point being that without the goggles I have a useless profession. I have considered blacksmithing, but being that I already have a rogue with it I'd rather not level it again. I know the sockets are great, but for the amount of money it'll cost to level I want some other perks as well that aren't duplicated by another one of my characters.

At present the BoP gems and trinkets are excellent and I aim to excel in current content. I change with the game and make adjustments to make myself the best that I can be in the situations given. That said, I think it's silly to hold onto a profession that maybe-could-possibly-kinda be more beneficial in the future. If it turns out that JC becomes useless to me and Engi is the profession to have, I'll be one of the first leveling it. Until then, bye-bye goggles.
Aurelie
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice