Remove Advertisements

[10/25] How To: Naxxramas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Freddman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Fayelyn wrote:Sorry for the rather basic question, but what is the group layout like for Naxx 10?

Is it still 2 healers, 2 tanks, 6 DPS, or is it now 3 healers and 1 tank?

I remember reading a while back that 10s were intended to be tanked with 1 prot spec tank and say a retribution pally or fury warrior offtank.

My guild cleared naxx yesterday after about one week of progress. We have always been 2 tanks (warr+pally) and healing has been jumping between 2-3 healers. On some bosses three healers isn't needed, while on someother encounters, three is nice. Overall, the instance is easy, so it should be doable with just two healers.
Freddman

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:51 am

I'd say 2/3/5 on progress, 1/2/7 on uberfarm.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:16 am

The mini-bosses (pre-fight Wights) on Thaddius hit really hard. I wouldn't want to tank them as a DPS spec.

10-man Patchwerk is fine with one tank as long as there is no melee dps. But that's not going to be the case, now, is it? :P

I think that the rest of the fights could have a plate/feral DPS off-tank the adds, but those two will always be a problem.
Belloc

Postby Strendarr » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:12 am

Arjuna wrote:I'm confused about Faerlina...you basically HAVE to have a priest in the group to get past her?

Or are there MC orbs?

Seems daft for blizzard to do all this work to make it so that you won't be "needing" any one class in the raid...and then just make priests 100% necessary in the starter raid..kinda mixed messages :P

yeah, that's how we feel in my guild. Myself and another competent player are actually levelling priests right now becuase of the fact that the priests we have in our guild cant do their job properly on razuvius and faerlina (btw razuvius is the worse of the two to require a priest as his fight requires TWO mind controls to be constantly channeled and re-channeled). We're levelling quickly fuelled by pure anger at this lame fight mechanic that makes us have the entire raid depend on two players who couldn't "tank" if their lives depended on it.
Strendarr

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 pm

On Faerlina, you can just tank through it. On Razuvious... Well... If you have shit players, get some new ones.
Panzerdin

Postby baleogthefierce » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Panzerdin wrote:I'd say 2/3/5 on progress, 1/2/7 on uberfarm.

it's going to be awesome when we have enough avoidance to solo tank gluth, or enough dps to burn him before the first decimate :)
baleogthefierce

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:33 pm

That's a good point, hadn't considered that.

I don't suppose his Mortal Wound works like some of the others do, and doesn't apply if you're Uncrushable?
Panzerdin

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:25 pm

Panzerdin wrote:That's a good point, hadn't considered that.

I don't suppose his Mortal Wound works like some of the others do, and doesn't apply if you're Uncrushable?

Nope. Seems to always apply, even through high dodge/parry/miss rates.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Panzerdin wrote:I'd say 2/3/5 on progress, 1/2/7 on uberfarm.

We did progression 10-man clear with 2/2/6. I'd recommend 2/3/5 though.

Four horsemen is sketchy as hell with 2 healers though. Our tactic amounts to: Kanughty tanks Thane with no healer. Kill Thane before Knaughty dies or we wipe. KGO! Can be done way easier by having a DPS switch to heals (Shadow/Balance/Elemental).

For farm, still 2/2/6. Two tanks required at half a dozen fights (refuse to count). Patch, Thaddius, 4-h, etc, etc.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Meloree » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:05 pm

One of our bears, Kyllin, uses a slightly modified kitten-spec that picks up Predator of the Pack. He still puts out nearly 5k dps as a cat (in cat gear), and he's fine to MT anything in Naxx25 or Naxx10. He does lose a couple of mitigation talents, but for those solotank fights, it might as well be 1/2/7. He OT's Thaddius in full cat-gear (in bearform), they don't hit all that hard. I'm not sure I'd recommend being that aggressive in progression, but we are talking about "uberfarm". I'm not even sure we qualify for uberfarm, it still takes 2.5 hours or so to clear Naxx10.

A DPS spec DK in full tank gear can also OT anything you need in Naxx, if he has tank gear. It's not quite as flexible for Thaddius, or 4h, for example, but it works.

Pretty much any of the hybrids can do sufficient offhealing at 4h, including ret paladins, without changing gear. I've never thought to try tank with no healer, though.

Also, I think progression is best served with 2/2/6. Only 4h really rewards a 3rd healer at all. It might be too much for an offspec in progression.

--
Meloree of Garona
<Edge>
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Strendarr » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 am

Panzerdin wrote:On Faerlina, you can just tank through it. On Razuvious... Well... If you have shit players, get some new ones.

Unfortunately, on Faerlina, I WAS tanking through a lot of it because the MC's took a long time to get off. I only lived becuase as the MT for my guild I've been stacking a lot of dodge and parry for my avoidances rather than block. I tanked through about 40 seconds of enrage before the mc and widow's embrace finally got off. She hits harder on the 25 man than she does on the 10, and the 25 man is the "priests required mmmmmkaahh" one.
Strendarr

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:12 am

Well, if you can't manage it, get new priests.
Panzerdin

Postby majiben » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:24 am

Panzerdin wrote:Well, if you can't manage it, get new priests.
Hate to agree with a comment as glib as this but if you can't handle the 2nd boss in spider wing then you'll never handle the military wing.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby sapientialb » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:21 am

If I remember correctly MC is affected to some degree by hit rating. So if you're holy priests are having some difficulty getting MC's off they could potentially throw on some hit gear for the fight.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:42 am

Hit Rating can't fix stupid, unfortunately.
Panzerdin

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon