[H] Halls of Lightning

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Mishdorf » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 pm

I should also mention that this fight is in no way a gear check fight. It is a skill check fight. This is perfectly doable while critable (I still am) and while low on HP (I only have around 23k). You simply don't take much damage through his normal attacks.

I am actually tempted to spec holy just to heal this fight as it looks like it would be an incredibly fun fight to heal as a paladin IF you have a tank/dps you can trust. This is the first time I've ever felt like speccing holy would be fun.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby Veilan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:40 pm

I don't find Loken fun at all, because success is utterly out of your hands. You can explain your mouth off, demonstrate it and move well yourself, yet still utterly fail because your DDs and healer didn't move their arse in time or ran away too far. It's all outside of your control, which I find just horrible when I'm tanking. I have the movements down, but no matter how well I move, I can't keep the damage off the party. Meh.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby DragonBlade » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:25 pm

^ That. It all depends on your party. Healing was so easy if no one took a nova.
DragonBlade

Postby MrDuck » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:29 am

Veilan wrote:I don't find Loken fun at all,
Actually, i found Loken the most entertaining boss ever. I love how parties keep wiping on him, and calling me noobtard for suggesting to stand still and soak the nova damage...then after 5 wipes they finally decide to give it a try and BOO we oneshot him....every single time i've been in HoL heroic it was like that...we never managed to get him by running, 'cos someone always died, but we didnt EVER wipe by soaking it. Admittedly, yesterday he did last nova on like 3% and healer+2dps died,but we finished the job quite easily, it was pally healing so the lack of aoe might have been the cause why they died, but the party was constantly top health 'till that point.

Soo the point why i love him so much are people complaining about my stupid tactic when it's a pug (we found it out on 1st kill like a week after release,so seriously undergeared,i was even crittable:P), and when we oneshot him, they're like...well, it cant be described by words, but it increases my epeen by 300% :> (and certainly makes their one disappear :>)
MrDuck

Postby Arca » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:26 am

My suggestion for Loken (if you have a good healer), have everyone stand just outside of lighting nova range and do not run out as the tank. The nova is easily healed though on one person. Only melee should ever have to run.

For those who may think you need crazy aoe heals for this, my group does it with a holy paladin. Holy Light glyph + beacon, I'm pretty sure he never actually heals me directly. An aoe healer may have an easier time with this even.

Obviously MotW/NR totem/AotW all cut the aura damage significantly.
Arca

Postby Flipthebird » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:01 am

Vardr wrote:Observations from a blue geared prot pally, with a couple lvl 80 epics.

Achievment on the General isnt particaluraliy demanding. I did it easily with about 22k hp and crit immune. Still hes the second hardest boss in the instance. Kill the adds first and be on your toes with CDs.

Thrash pulls for the most part are pretty easy, might want to use CC on some of the triple pulls to ease it for your healers.

Volkhan is easy, and ignoring the adds is a very viable and easy strategy. You'll do him a lot faster and you'll avoid any shatters.

Ionar is just faceroll.

Loken is the hardest heroic boss ive faced so far. Although the achievment is pretty easy. FIrst time i downed him when only 3 people survived we still got it. That was with a prot pally (me), fury warr, rogue, warlock and a rest shammie. Druid healer makes him pretty easy though. Id hate to heal this one as holy paladin. just alternating between running up and down the central line makes it easy for everyone to stay close so you dont take massive aura damage after nova.

I thought Loken was really easy...and the only time i've even done him was on heroic.

The whole fight he has these pulsing rings going outward at his feet. Every 6th pulse he starts his channeling. Face him sideways the whole fight...so the tank's left shoulder is facing the ramp leading up to him. Everyone else stand behind Loken.

Have someone counting the rings...as soon they say they saw 6th ring, go ahead and just STRAFE down the ramp...no need to turn and run...everyone will have plenty of time to get out of the AoE range.

after the AoE...let him run down the ramp to you...stay there till the 6th ring, STRAFE back up the ramp...rinse and repeat till dead.
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby Petrus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:07 am

See, I just move back and forth between the circle at the base of the throne and the top step of the lower set of stairs. When he Novas, run to the other spot. I never die to novas. My DPS and healers cost me a lot of gold, though.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:36 pm

You know they are doing it wrong when you and the tank are still standing and almost kill him long after all the dps have died to nova.

we kited him all the way around the circle before I oom (no flash of light glyph)
Sarutankah

Postby Aurelie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:35 pm

I do Loken in that same way Invis. Only ever had a problem once, when the healer was stoned and couldn't figure out he had to run out of the AoE no matter how many RWs I spammed. Heh.
Aurelie
Maintankadonor

Postby Veilan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Succeeded with him today, method:

Stand cuddling the lovely Ythalaine with the Star above her head.

RUN when you see the nova, try to stay with the Star. Loken, jealous of all the cuddlers to the lovely Ythalaine, runs to the Star. Everyone stands close, thus minimising aura damage as Loken himself closes the gap for us. Next nova, run away again.

Anyway. I was the last one standing and killed him through 2 novas with a well-timed bubble. Everyone did the kirby dance for me after :-).

He's not really that hard to understand. It just sucks that most of the fight is out of your control as tank.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Losbullitt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:15 am

My groups tend to have a tough time with Loken.

The last clear was running back and forth from the circle and the base of the first set of stairs. However, as of late, we continue to wipe, largely due to the healer casting in the middle of lightning nova.

I will try the soak method. But I will also run with a shamadin and a healtard.
Losbullitt

Postby degre » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:09 am

I don't pug HoL, this proved to be the best move for my nerves.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby tinalt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:37 am

I've tried Heroic Loken with 2 groups, the first we wiped until respawns and called it. the 2 we wiped until respawns, kept going, and killed him.

Most people either don't run out far enough, or run out too far. So we decided to take the groups inability to run out of the equation. We ended up stacking on the boss and eating the novas.

CoH priest is able to heal through the nova without too much trouble as long as everyone in the group has at least 15k health. just have them start casting CoH when Loken starts casting the nova. it should hit right after the nova and make sure nobody ends up dying. not even trying for the timer achievement we were able to get him using this strategy.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Is Loken very much different in Heroic to normal?
(Besides the reduced cast time of the lightning nova)

Reason why i ask is that ive run Norm Loken about 20 times for the trinket that wont drop.

Would like to do heroic, if only for badges & achievments.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Threatco » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 am

Shorter cast time. Must less forgiving on the distance aura. Don't run too far from him!
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats