Remove Advertisements

[H] Utgarde Pinnacle guide

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Crathus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:09 am

Did [H] UP for the first time last night after gearing up a bit through the easy [H] (UK, DK, HoS).

Third boss was actually much easier than I had though he would be using Arcia's comments above (Gather harpoons, reset, run to doorway, start event, aoe spawns...). Downed him on the second attempt.

One thing to note is that a few times there were spawns that seemed to be bugged, probably 4 or 5 of them, that just ran through my conc. and down the hall before coming back. I just had the dps focus on these when it happened. Other than that, we timed it so that the boss came down just as we killed the most recent spawn.

As long as you avoid the whirlwind, its cake :)

(Didn't get the achievement b/c it was our first time and we just wanted to get him down, but next time it will be no problem.)

Also... Red Sword of Courage dropped on Ymiron!

When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...
Crathus

Postby Petrus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:09 am

For some reason the event wasn't resetting very quickly for my group last night. We were resetting over and over until we had about 9 harpoons (just to be on the REALLY safe side) but sometimes the mobs would keep coming at us, kill the healer or a dps, and it wouldn't reset for a long time.

Got Lodi Dodi We Love to Skadi and My Girl Loves to Skadi All The Time though, so we were pretty happy with ourselves in the end.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby thejuice » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 pm

yeah, this happens to me too, and everyone that i've run with says the same thing.

also, a question about the first boss,
the first sacrifice was our lock, but after we killed the adds, the rogue went and stood on the platform and died. the next 2 sacrifices were me, and the group didnt kill the mobs in time and the sword came down....but didnt kill me. anyone got any info on this?

p.s. ive got a feeling the red sword is gonna be another sun eater for me, like 5 times through and it hasn't dropped. also the trinket from Loken, ive been running the hell out of that place, upwards of 10 times, and nothing :(
thejuice

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:25 am

I could have swore that the sword was suppposed to do lethal damage. I suppose if it doesn't take damage reduction into account and with a damage shield you could survive with a decent chunk of health.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Arca » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:52 am

Svala's sword actually applies a dot that ticks extremely high, as a tank, it can be healed though as you have a health pool to work with, but dps is pretty much toast.
Arca

Postby Andox » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:22 am

I think its 9k instant and a dot.
Andox

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:33 am

In that case getting the incredible hulk achievement is a lot safer.
Last edited by majiben on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Duzzit » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:26 am

Crathus wrote:
Also... Red Sword of Courage dropped on Ymiron!

I...Kill...you?

Duzzit

Postby Aurelie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:30 pm

thejuice wrote:p.s. ive got a feeling the red sword is gonna be another sun eater for me, like 5 times through and it hasn't dropped. also the trinket from Loken, ive been running the hell out of that place, upwards of 10 times, and nothing :(

It really is luck of the draw. I had it drop for me my first run, but our warrior ran it 17 times before he finally got a drop. =/
Aurelie
Maintankadonor

Postby Ferathyi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:32 am

I checked my combat log after my last H UP run, and can confirm the following about Svala Sorrowgrave:

- Sacrifice hit me for 9k (only one channeler was still up, maybe this has an effect?);
- Sacrifice applied a dot that ticked for approx 2.5k per 3.

I was using RF and BoSanc, of course, running with a druid healer so the only shield I was using was sacred shield...

Seems her sacrifice is in need of buffing, if it hits only twice as hard as her normal melee.

Or maybe the damage scales with the number of channelers? I do note they put one debuff on you each...
Offtank - as in, off tanking.
Ferathyi

Postby Veilan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:41 am

Got it, run four. I'm rather happy, despite the expertise :).
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Zoltar » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:02 pm

Arcia wrote:Easiest way of doing the guantlet is probably doing it the way you need to do it if you want the achievements.

What you do is you start the event then you just stand in the begining of the corridor and kill adds until your group have 5-6 harpoons, then you just run out into the room where third boss is and wait until you get out of combat.

When you leave combat everyone runs in fast and goes down the corridor to where the harpoon launchers are located, it takes a while for the boss to respawn so it shouldnt be problem.

Everyone then stacks up to the side of the door where the adds spawn, out of LoS, the tank stands just inside the door.

Someone in your group (pref the fastest one, rogue with sprint or something) runs back and starts the event then run back to the group.

All the mobs will spawn (about 20 or so) just holy wrath + consecration and so on, the rest of the group goes around the corner and aoe's them down.

Then when you get the message about the boss being in range everyone with harpoons just spams the harpoon guns and the dragons dies asap.

Pickup the boss and dps him down, if your dps doesnt suck you've just got your self 2 achievements, 1 for killing the dragon in 1 run and 1 for killing the boss in less then 3 minutes.

This method makes the event trivial. I make sure my healer is standing behind me and I HoP him & consecrate/HW just as the hunter restarts the event and the 20 mobs spawn. No doubt, this is not how the event is intended to be run so will most likely be hot fixed, but until it is I'll keep using it to try get my sword.
Zoltar

Postby MilaMan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:58 am

Hey all,

I'm at just a hair over 20k health unbuffed, 540 uncrit, and my avoidance numbers are dysmally low (imo).

Can't link armory, but it's Chcknbcnrnch on Ghostlands (course, I changed out a bunch of gear / enchants yesterday, so lord knows if it's even updated in there).

So, is H UP going to be doable? We want to do it tonight, and this guide has given me the know-how (thanks for that), but I'm not sure if it's a suicide run with my stats..

thanks for any advice,

Mike
MilaMan

Postby 'Khazil » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:16 am

Did it yesterday. Found it all pretty easy, even Skadi.

We ran into the room so the event starts. Then we ran out of the room so event resets, Skadi will not spawn for a couple of seconds. Run to the back of the gauntlet where the harpoon launchers are. Let a DPS start the event when Skadi has respawned and drop your consecration in the door also make sure your dps/healer are standing behind you. Then gather 5 harpoons so you can get him down in one time. Immediatley taunt him or you will have a dead healer. Tank him with your back to the harpoon launcher and get your dps stand at max range in the gauntlet. As soon as he is going to WW to your dps, taunt him on 1/2 or so. Rince and Repeat... and you'll have a badge :D

Did UP heroic for third time, sword dropped :D

Hope it helped someone,
Khazil
'Khazil

Postby Gullion » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:56 pm

mirkodeluxe wrote:Not sure if its an ATI driver issue (havent tried updating them yet) but when doing the gauntlet thingy I get terrible graphics lag with the frostbreath aoe on the ground and I have to turn down my spell detail level or try to have the effect outside of my POV.

Just a tip if you have an older computer/graphics card. Mine is just 8 months old though, it shouldnt lag that terribly.

You are not alone, I get the SAME problem too, turning down the spell detail helps a great deal and also position your PoV to Aerial View as if you were fighting DragonHawk boss in ZA (just strafe left and right tanking).

This also affects healers and others in the grp too. (heals not getting to you in time = DEATH)

Just a heads up if yall like it to go smoother next time.

Aurelie wrote:
thejuice wrote:p.s. ive got a feeling the red sword is gonna be another sun eater for me, like 5 times through and it hasn't dropped. also the trinket from Loken, ive been running the hell out of that place, upwards of 10 times, and nothing :(

It really is luck of the draw. I had it drop for me my first run, but our warrior ran it 17 times before he finally got a drop. =/

Just what Aurelie said, its pretty much how lucky you can get. I ran UP heroic 3 times total. First time, I was ret spec'd helping a druid tank it for the first time (easymode but didnt drop) Second time, I went in as my usual spec (tankadin) and still didnt drop. Third time, I decided to run it again the next day since I needed the rep for Kirin Tor because I was only 1k shy from getting the tanking gloves, not only I got the gloves from clearing that place but the sword dropped too. :D

Best thing to do, just have FUN! Don't try so hard, its BOUND to drop anyday for you. Good Luck!!
Frisbeeing no0bs since 2005
Gullion

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats