Remove Advertisements

Al'ar

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby DJSticky » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:23 am

Eneroth wrote:Anyways any luck on making that video so I an take a look at the way other pallys get this done?

No I got about halfway through and for some reason Fraps started killing my frame rate. Here is what I do though.

Phase 1:
First platform, stand at the bottom and wait, who ever the add agros on jumps off and I AS/JoR it on the way down.
Back into the wall and it is DPSed down to about 5%, some tiems a rogue will CloS and kill it with me.
If the next platform is 2 stay there and wait, pick up the add in the same manner but run it over to the bottom of the ramp on the other side and kill it there.

Basicaly rinse and repeat, kill the first add on the side were it spawned and take the next one over to the opposite side to be in place for the next one.

There is an issue during the fire quill were if you are standing agianst the wall were you usualy tank you can take damage so during a quill stop DPS on the add and move to the center.

In Phase two I am usualy able to AS both adds and grab them, we kill the adds untill 50% at which point I tank them untill Al'ar is down.

At any time if adds are loose we have a hunter and/or an elemental shaman who will mark his target and drag it close to me so I can taunt off them.

I wear my block value gear and am usualy healed by an Earthshield and 1 Priest + a few druid hots here and there.
DJSticky

Postby Eneroth » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:07 pm

Thanks DJ for the advice, sounds like pretty much what I was trying to do yesterday for the most part.
Eneroth

Postby Marlae » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:46 pm

We did Al'ar today and got him down on the second attempt with a fairly simple strat. In P2 our pally tank picked up all the adds while all the rest of the raid focused on Al'ar. He ended up tanking 14 adds by the end and myself and another healer were keeping alive easily.

This strategy made the fight very easy indeed. Probably easier than VR.
Marlae

Postby Coldaan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:22 am

question:

how do you pick up adds in phase 2 when you already have some of them on you? I find it pretty difficult to get close enough to the meteor when the adds spawn so i get both with AS. Plus, when you have adds on you, AS is interrupted a lot.

so is there a safe way to get the adds aggro you in phase 2?
Coldaan

Postby SmurfZG » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:48 am

Coldaan wrote:question:

how do you pick up adds in phase 2 when you already have some of them on you? I find it pretty difficult to get close enough to the meteor when the adds spawn so i get both with AS. Plus, when you have adds on you, AS is interrupted a lot.

You can have another tank pick them up first, and then you taunt them off him.

you can also use misdirects.
SmurfZG

Postby matchbox » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:13 am

i normally have another tank waiting to take an add off me while my add gets burned down first so i'm ready for the next set
matchbox

Postby Warrender » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:42 am

Coldaan wrote:question:

The ranged taunt works beautifully in this situation.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:13 am

We actually tried Al'ar for the first time last night as well. Got him past phase 1 without much issue (well once I learned that being against a wall during quill = death even if you are on the ground.. grrr). But just a few questions on phase 2.

If you are tanking adds, do you generally stay stationary and have people bring the new adds to you or do you chase them around the room. I felt like I spent a lot of extra time trying to run around/taunt/AS.

Also, is there any indication as to where meteor is going to hit so we can try to at least be prepared for the new adds?

Lastly, for the tanks on Al'ar, how much time to do you have between melt armor and when you will probably die if the other tank doesn't taunt off? Thanks
YoYoMa

Postby Warrender » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:34 am

YoYoMa wrote:If you are tanking adds, do you generally stay stationary and have people bring the new adds to you or do you chase them around the room. I felt like I spent a lot of extra time trying to run around/taunt/AS.

Also, is there any indication as to where meteor is going to hit so we can try to at least be prepared for the new adds?

There's a meteor crater graphic that indicates where the meteor will land a few seconds before it actually does. Be careful being around that area too soon as the meteor does a huge knockback to anyone close by when it lands.

It depends how your guild does the fight and what you are comfortable doing that dictates what your role in this fight will be. I'm actually the one that herds all the loose adds and am in charge of handing off single adds to another tank to get killed. This keeps me mobile and having to have greater situational awareness in phase 3 but actually enjoy doing it this way.

This fight also prompted me to get Boar's Speed on my Protector boots.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Eliane » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:07 am

We dps the adds as they spawn so there's never more than two up at any given time.

I pick them up with rank2 AV to save some mana and then judge Righteousness on the one to be killed first, DPS assists me for the right target. Rank4 consecration when Im in position. Another tank taunts the other off of me so I can get ready for the next meteor.

I also HAVE to take the explotion when they die or I will run out of mana.
Eliane

Postby eska » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:31 am

for Al'ar what we normally do is have 2 warriors up top and me and a druid at the bottom. the druid and me stand at the base of the ramp and when an add spawns we both attack it so that there is never a spawn in the caster/healer group. I usually then hand the spwn off to the druid, who then in turns tanks it by the door. I wait at the base of the ramp for another spawn while that one is DPSed down. rinse repeat.

P2 i usually do what Warrender described. herd all the adds onto me and i have a tank (usually the druid mentioned above) pull one off me and have the melee dps burn it down. i always try to stay in proximity of the melee group (wherever they are at the moment) so that the druid can pull one off me again. usually my guild is lacking melee dps for alar so near the end i have about 5 or 6 birds on me. When this happens (and the druid cant pull off me) we switch and he is on adds while the melee dps my target.
eska

Postby IceRaven » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:25 pm

Since the info in this thread is a bit confusing, I'm gonna ask the following questions. My guild uses the tactic to pick up all adds in phase 1 (works like a charm) and then at start of phase 2 aoe em down:

1) How do I max. my chance of surviving, the adds usually have different health. Should I limit myself to only having say 5-6 adds on me, and kill the rest in phase 1 ?

2) In phase 2, we thought about doing the same. I store them and when we got 6 aoe em down. How should I go abouts the adds, just stand in a corner and let hunters/dps warriors take em to me?

Or should we take the burn down 2 adds each time they spawn? Which is best with a tankadin in the party?
IceRaven

Postby Dorvan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:38 pm

IceRaven wrote:Since the info in this thread is a bit confusing, I'm gonna ask the following questions. My guild uses the tactic to pick up all adds in phase 1 (works like a charm) and then at start of phase 2 aoe em down:

1) How do I max. my chance of surviving, the adds usually have different health. Should I limit myself to only having say 5-6 adds on me, and kill the rest in phase 1 ?

2) In phase 2, we thought about doing the same. I store them and when we got 6 aoe em down. How should I go abouts the adds, just stand in a corner and let hunters/dps warriors take em to me?

Or should we take the burn down 2 adds each time they spawn? Which is best with a tankadin in the party?

I'd be interested in hearing more about this strat. Honestly, I've never understood it, as 6 * 7k explosions = dead tank. I suppose could could have a mage frost nova and run out, but then the timing seems very tenuous, especially when all the adds have different amount of health remaining.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:20 pm

Unless you got capped Fire Resistance, and even not in that case, aoeing down adds is nearly a guaranteed death. It would be better to still focusfire them down 1 by 1 instead, or else, be prepared to die and have yourself buble or soulstoned before they explode toghether.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby YoYoMa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:01 am

Dorvan wrote:I'd be interested in hearing more about this strat. Honestly, I've never understood it, as 6 * 7k explosions = dead tank. I suppose could could have a mage frost nova and run out, but then the timing seems very tenuous, especially when all the adds have different amount of health remaining.
We actually were going to try this. I was going to round up a ton of adds. AOE them all and when they were close have a mage frost nova them in place while I bubbled out safe from the explosions. However, they are immune to frost nova so that trick went out the window.

You could probably do the same thing but just die and have a SS on you to pop back up once they are dead. :wink:
YoYoMa

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep