[H] Gundrak first boss.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Arcia » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Did it yesterday and they do indeed swim now, still shouldnt be much of a problem as long as your dps focus on killing the snakes so you dont get swarmed.
Arcia

Postby mirkodeluxe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 am

Ive always taken pride in the fact that I can bring whatever class to whatever instance and make it without major difficulties..
I'll try the LoS solution, I can get the achievement later.. Not that I care much.

thx for the tips :)
mirkodeluxe

Postby DramaticBaby » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 pm

Downed him first time after the hotfix today, with no aoe dps:ers :P

We wiped a few times but here's how we did it

Group
Tankadin (me)
Enh. shammy
2 rogues
Resto shammy

I pulled the boss back to the entrance, the poison nova is avoided by running around the corner as usual. The dps gathered around the boss and started dpsing.
After the first nova it spawns huge amounts of snakes, which I tanked
with consecration. When the snakes arrived at me both of the shammys pulled out their fire elementals and bloodlust.

We dps him as fast as we could, popping every trinket and cd we had, and success :P

I got "cocooned" maybe 3 or 4 times during the encounter, but the healer spamhealed me through it.
Remember to taunt some of the snakes that get to your healer at the water, and I did even put a Hand of Protection on him to give him a little breathing room.

Good luck with this annoying boss :)
DramaticBaby

Postby Frickit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:02 am

DramaticBaby wrote:Downed him first time after the hotfix today, with no aoe dps:ers :P

We wiped a few times but here's how we did it

Group
Tankadin (me)
Enh. shammy
2 rogues
Resto shammy

I pulled the boss back to the entrance, the poison nova is avoided by running around the corner as usual. The dps gathered around the boss and started dpsing.
After the first nova it spawns huge amounts of snakes, which I tanked
with consecration. When the snakes arrived at me both of the shammys pulled out their fire elementals and bloodlust.

We dps him as fast as we could, popping every trinket and cd we had, and success :P

I got "cocooned" maybe 3 or 4 times during the encounter, but the healer spamhealed me through it.
Remember to taunt some of the snakes that get to your healer at the water, and I did even put a Hand of Protection on him to give him a little breathing room.

Good luck with this annoying boss :)

I never seem to have the right group for Gundrak but I finally killed the first boss without using the water exploit. Just used the entrance way for LoS and burned him as fast as we could. We killed him and we were all dead...

Ive tried this with dpsers who swear that their way works, and that theyve done it that way before...just make sure that you have the right combination of players before wiping a lot on a bad strategy. If your dps/aoe is weak, this is the way to do it. Good luck.
Frickit

Postby DragonBlade » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 pm

The boss has little hp compared to other heroic bosses. A feral druid tanked him in the room with another Feral druid and arms warrior just straight dpsing the boss while I had the lock aoe the snakes (I was holy here). Only 2 big waves of snake appeared before the boss went down.
DragonBlade

Postby Playdoh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:24 pm

WAIT!

You can get yourself out of snake wrap by right clicking the debuff?

AWESOME!

Now just need awake players to tell them to get themselves out :).
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Rutilcaper » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Can you REALLY remove the wrap by clicking it? I mean, it's a debuff... I guess I'll have to try.

This boss drove us insane right now. We're all fresh for heroics, with most in blues with the odd purp here or there. We got so crazy about it that eventually we entered from the other side and cleared the rest of the bosses for a pick me up.

Of course, we had a rough time of it with 2 melee dps and a hunter. Our best strategy was for the group to go alllll the way up to the entrance portal and wait for me there while I pulled him (healer would wait about halfway down, to throw a heal on me before running up). Up there you get a ton of time before snakes come. We were able to get him below 50% before any unbearable number showed up. After that it was just chain-taunt the snakes and pray. We pulled it off, but not before most of the group died. I think it would've been a lot easier if we had something besides a fury warrior and a cat druid...

Somehow, though, our winning encounter had nobody get snake wrapped. Everyone got the achievement. I don't know how it worked out like that.
Rutilcaper

Postby Kaeloryn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:19 pm

If you get "cocooned", then no, you cannot click it off. You will have to wait it out or have DPS destroy it. However, if you click/macro off the 3 second buff which you get right before getting "cocooned", then yes, you will avoid it completely. If you're not looking at your buff slots, I think the buff does the animation where you're getting wrapped up by the snakes.
Kaeloryn

Postby Sanctity » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:23 am

ran last nite, my 2 cent is this:

on snake, move him to the top of the spiral staircase and tank him there. have your dps and healer wait for you up top. have the "/cancelaura Snake Wrap" line macroed to somthing important. Try to keep cons up to catch the snakes.

ranged dps and healer ar over the other side of the 'pit' when he starts to cast nova run away. you can also (if you saved forbearence) use bubblewall to survive on nova if u need to stay still (lots of snakes maybe).

If you die then the dps should kite the boss back down to his chamber, you can squeeze between 60 and 100k extra health off him this way if needed.

i'll be running again cos none of what i wanted dropped so updates maybe?
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Kelaan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 am

Sanctity wrote:have the "/cancelaura Snake Wrap" line macroed to somthing important.

Wow. Just awesome. :D I'll have to macro that as soon as I get home, hehe. :D
Kelaan

Postby Sanctity » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:20 am

Sanctity wrote:ran last nite, my 2 cent is this:

on snake, move him to the top of the spiral staircase and tank him there. have your dps and healer wait for you up top. have the "/cancelaura Snake Wrap" line macroed to somthing important. Try to keep cons up to catch the snakes.

ranged dps and healer ar over the other side of the 'pit' when he starts to cast nova run away. you can also (if you saved forbearence) use bubblewall to survive on nova if u need to stay still (lots of snakes maybe).

If you die then the dps should kite the boss back down to his chamber, you can squeeze between 60 and 100k extra health off him this way if needed.

i'll be running again cos none of what i wanted dropped so updates maybe?

Ran again (still no drops /sigh) and have a couple of things to add:

Tell one of your dps (not necessarily an AoE dps) to kill any adds that get by your cons.

Also, if group dps is low (ours was ><) but healer is desent you can stand in the poison nova. melee dps must still run out but this way the boss will never move and you can keep Cons up to catch more snakes. Just a different way of distributing the jobs.

also, only you need the snake wrap cancel macro. it is more hassle than its worth to tell your dps and healer to make the macro.

Remeber to use taunt and HoP liberally because your healer is key this fight.

Also tell your AoEers not to even try and kill all snakes, killing the boss is proirity one. If you kill the boss then if it looks like you will be overwhelmed you can DP the healer and let the dps die, or get them to run out if your nice. the snakes despawn once out of combat or sometimes run back down to the bosses room, either way no problem.

Those shoulders and gloves will be mine >=[
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Arca » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:54 am

Our method involves splitting the dps. If you are ranged you kill the boss, melee kills the snakes on the healer. With tank dps being a good amount nowadays this is perfectly feasible, especially since the boss has fairly low hp.

Obviously with a all melee/ranged group you have to acually assign people, preffering melee that know how to run out being on the boss.

Just be sure everyone has their macro, as it seems it will even remove the cocoon, but I could be wrong on this.

/cancelaura Snake Wrap
/cast wtfeveryouspam
Arca

Postby Ferathyi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:37 am

If you're running into trouble, why not avoid 90% of adds entirely?

Here's how I did it, credit to my pet healer Betaheals:

Position your group at the instance entrance (that's right, at the top of the ramp).

Pull the boss, and run like mad to the group (BoF if necessary).

DPS like mad, consecrate at the top of the ramp, and don't worry too much about snakes.

Only had a couple adds, used my snake wrap macro at the end but don't think I needed to, it ended up pretty much tank and spank.

Good luck and phat loots!
Offtank - as in, off tanking.
Ferathyi

Postby Zoltar » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:43 pm

I send my AoE and healer to about 3/4 of the way up the ramp. I kite him up the ramp walking backards the whole time but never going more than half way up the ramp. When snakes come, I consecrate and AoE burn them down then switch back to boss. Any snakes that get through get taken out by DPS further up the ramp before they get to the healer. We totally ignore the poison nova and heal through it.

Works every time.
Zoltar

Postby Threatco » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:32 am

Fight by the ramp over water. run up ramp (or into water if you have to) to avoid poison novas. The place makes adds and wraps easier.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats