[H] Azjol Nerub -- Need help

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Veilan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:37 am

Can't get past the linked groups before the first boss so far. Almost had it, but the huntresses pet decided to run chasing after the skirmisher I had feared, and managed to die in such a fashion that the last group came with the watcher, a shadowcaster and two skirmishers simultaneously. Ugh.

Guess it should be doable with a reliable CC, but I'm curious as to what tactics you guys make work.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Belloc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:53 am

Veilan wrote:Can't get past the linked groups before the first boss so far. Almost had it, but the huntresses pet decided to run chasing after the skirmisher I had feared, and managed to die in such a fashion that the last group came with the watcher, a shadowcaster and two skirmishers simultaneously. Ugh.

Guess it should be doable with a reliable CC, but I'm curious as to what tactics you guys make work.

I mark the skirmisher in the first group and pull. When the group arrives, I holy wrath while the group burns. When the skirmisher is down, we kill the caster. I usually stun the big guy at some point.

Second group comes, no skirmisher (I think?), burn down the caster and then the big guy, with the warrior being last. Kill any web wraps immediately. Again, I use holy wrath immediately and stun if it pops up.

Last group comes, mark and kill skirmisher first. Holy wrath the group, then kill the others.

Avenger shield every time they are incoming. As long as you have aggro on all three, you'll be good.

This fight really isn't about CC, it's about DPS and you mitigating enough damage to survive. Good luck!
Belloc

Postby Veilan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:04 am

May be the DPS then, the skirmisher survives too long for comfort, and we often enough had the second group waltzing in while the first still wasn't mopped up properly. Killing while stunlocking the skirmisher first is what I always try, and try to get in a fear on another mob of the pull to give more of a breathing window.

Anyway, thanks for the advise, seems it's more a gear than tactics thing there for the group I tried with.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Katerina » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:38 am

I found it easiest to mark two in each group ahead of time so that skull X and circle were going to be the first kill target of every group, and the other three markers were going to be shackle, ice trap, etc. That way, no matter which ones came we could see them moving through the wall, everyone could get a target quickly, and there was no confusion as to what to do.

We also found much success with fighting them way up in the hallway, so that the casters had to come around the corner to us, putting them in holy wrath range. We also discovered that it is about a 15 second run back should someone die during the trash and then they can rejoin the event. Rather like MH trash waves, lol.

That first guantlet event is the hardest part of the instance IMO. I've only done it on heroic twice, both groups wiped on the first boss' add waves, then cleared the rest of the instance without deaths. It is the thing where they put webs over someone's eyes that was the hardest, as if it happened to me, we were basically screwed. We could not find a way to break what appears to be an 6 second blind, and that's a long time to be without a tank.
Katerina

Postby Hearthy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:36 am

If you're having trouble with the blind, you might want to consider pulling the rightmost group first. We found it easier to deal with at the beginning when things are less hectic. The watcher can be stunned and the blind has a 2 second cast time, so if you're able to pay attention you don't have to get blinded at all.
Hearthy

Postby Lousiana » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:38 am

Boss #1:

Pull the linked groups up the ramp around the corner.
LoS will make the caster come up too.
AS stated, take out Skirmisher first, than caster.

Second group will need its time to get up the ramp just stand there, watch them by turning your camera around the corner, strafe out, Avenger Shield, strafe back LoS. Rinse and repeat.

Boss #3:

The key to this boss is to take out the Spiders first that spit poison on your group.
The nonelite can be dealth with without tanking.

The elites always come down the ramp. Position yourself at the ramp. Take the two melee elites, mark one.
As soon as those two poison-spiders come down, take them, and make your DPS deal with them first.
If they are up too long there is too much poison damage on your group and your healer won't stand a chance to heal through.
Lousiana

Postby Corman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:42 am

Oddly enough, tried strafing, definitely don't like the run through thing but I found my highest rate of success (100 percent) just being walking backwards once the cast bar pops. Then I'm also in good position to pick him right back up (albeit he generally just submerges right afterwards). The ticket to success was finding a healer who didn't stand in the spikes.

Ran it three times this weekend, got my purple belt and my blue trinket, yay. Now to fill in some more gaps in my gear. Thank you all for the advice.
Corman

Postby Frickit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 am

Strafing, moving through him, or backing up all work fine. Having a poison cleanser makes the fight a lot easier. Your healer should be fairly well geared. The venomancers are the tricky part and avoiding spikes helps too. Really just need a decent group for this.
Frickit

Postby Brute » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:13 am

For the groups before the first boss: Holy Wrath when they get near then Turn Evil on one of the skirmishers, then HoJ on the 2nd skrmisher.

The big one will actually let you tank him, and you just CC'd the other two.

The stunned skrmisher won't be able to do much damage before he gets burned down. Then you can focus on the big spider and kill the feared skirmisher after the fear wears off, at which point he should be the only one alive.
Brute

Postby Rancor » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 am

Just out of curiosity, i wonder if anyone else has noticed a weird (and usually quite lethal) behaviour from Anub'arak, or is it just me (well, i know it happened to some other guys, but i don't know if it is a well-known issue).

Just as Anub'arak emerges, sometimes he will cast pound. The weird thing for me is that when that happens, Anub'arak runs to a seemingly random border of the circle we are fighting on, and begins casting pound facing outwards, but people are getting the pound anyways (and usually dying, ofc). Other times he doesn't run, but casts pound again to a random direction and people get hit again nonetheless, even when they are not anywhere close to his front.

I suspect he is casting pound in the direction of the one with most threat, even when his animation looks otherwise. But when i was ready to check this theory, he didn't cast pound when he emerged and everything was fine.
Rancor

Postby Arcia » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 am

Rancor wrote:Just out of curiosity, i wonder if anyone else has noticed a weird (and usually quite lethal) behaviour from Anub'arak, or is it just me (well, i know it happened to some other guys, but i don't know if it is a well-known issue).

Just as Anub'arak emerges, sometimes he will cast pound. The weird thing for me is that when that happens, Anub'arak runs to a seemingly random border of the circle we are fighting on, and begins casting pound facing outwards, but people are getting the pound anyways (and usually dying, ofc). Other times he doesn't run, but casts pound again to a random direction and people get hit again nonetheless, even when they are not anywhere close to his front.

I suspect he is casting pound in the direction of the one with most threat, even when his animation looks otherwise. But when i was ready to check this theory, he didn't cast pound when he emerged and everything was fine.

Yep it happens, Im not sure but it seems that he ussualy casts it in the tanks direction even if he happens to have his back towards the tank, I ussualy tell pugs about it and tell them to stay away if it happens, if Im doing it with guildies I just shout at them on vent.
Arcia

Postby oldboyz » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:43 am

i confirm. this sucker may "pound" as soon as he pops up...

so while you first hit him, if you're not yet able to observe where is his head from his ass... :roll:
it seems that as he isn't aggro dump between phase, so pound will still be lauched at the tank direction. don't think, just run throught him

otherwise, yes, focus those dam venom mobs. dont lost time&cd on the fast little bugs : dps can do it by themself. just keep your eyes on the elites (and your healer ^^)

second boss is about wait. just wait. wait the boss kill everything and then come to you
(just beware, he once 2shooted our healer as an introduction, he has a very large box hit :cry: )

i learned this instance yesterday the hard way.. 12 total death :oops: (including 2 time healer DC :? )

on a note. if it is your first time, better to bring a shaman with you, it may help a lot
oldboyz

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:12 am

I just tell my DPS to run away during pound. He's turned around and one-shotted way too many melee DPS for me to risk it. Also, if he's casting a pound and you don't know where it's going to hit, just blow bubble wall.
Belloc

Postby Rancor » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:37 am

There's no problem at all with "normal" pounds. And with those weird ones after he emerges when he's bugged and you should guess where he's facing, i'm not that much worried about me getting the pound, since i can survive (with little health, heh), but that random pound just can smash down half the party easily.

I'll just say that when he's about to emerge, i'm going one side of the circle and everybody else should be at the opposite side, and if he casts that crazy pound, i'll just run as if he's facing me. Maybe so we will be able to avoid it completely, if my theory is correct.
Rancor

Postby gwayne » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:47 am

First Boss + Achievement: A little guide
--------------------------------------------

It took my group about 2 hours of wipes to find and then perfect this method but once we had the tactics right it only took a couple of tries. You don't need a great healer or tank for this but you will need a lot of DPS.

For those that don't know the achievement is to kill the boss with all the watchers still alive. Now the first two tactics we tried didn't go so well. Trying to leave the watchers alive while you kill off each group individually just leads to pain due to the evil stuff that the watchers do (poison, webwrap, blind, fail!). The next method was to just to have me tank everything and zerg the boss down. This worked slightly better (about 40% on the boss) but the combination of watcher abilities and sheer incoming damage made it impossible especially when the little spawns turned up. And then we noticed the ledge on the right...

You can climb up to a ledge that runs around the right hand side of the room. At the end of this ledge you are stood to the side of and behind the boss. As long as you arn't standing right on the edge of the ledge then mobs will have to run quite a long way around to reach you. And so the tactic was born...

Me and DPS jump down and zerg boss, healer gets healing aggro on everything else from me starting the fight on 50% health and taking a heal. When the mobs reach the healer he/she jumps down causing everything to run back the way it came. Next we pray that the boss dies before the adds get back.

After a few mistakes involving me using holy shield and getting aggro on things (force of habit) and the healer not timing the jump quite right we managed to win. Somehow I hit release spirit as I died at 5% :S Everyone else got the achievement and I'll pick mine up when we go back. I won't mention what happened after the boss died but it's not a long corpse run :)

You can also improve this method if your healer has a way of dropping aggro (bubble, shadowmeld, etc) meaning they can send the adds running back and forth for an even longer period of time.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats