[10] Kel'Thuzad iceblocking offtank

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Kel'Thuzad iceblocking offtank

Postby Kalakaua » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 am

So I'm the "add" tank on kelthuzad because our group is melee heavy and I can help save iceblocked people with my leet prot heals while waiting for the adds to spawn.

The only problem is when the adds do spawn... and I get iceblocked. Since I have roughly 32k health with full raid buffs, those ice block ticks are huge and death comes shortly after.

Is there a way to deal with this? Or do I just have to pray that I don't get iceblocked while tanking the adds?
Kalakaua

Re: [10] Kel'Thuzad iceblocking offtank

Postby Elsie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:02 am

Kalakaua wrote:So I'm the "add" tank on kelthuzad because our group is melee heavy and I can help save iceblocked people with my leet prot heals while waiting for the adds to spawn.

The only problem is when the adds do spawn... and I get iceblocked. Since I have roughly 32k health with full raid buffs, those ice block ticks are huge and death comes shortly after.

Is there a way to deal with this? Or do I just have to pray that I don't get iceblocked while tanking the adds?

Get your healers to heal you, or tank the boss with the adds.
Elsie

Postby Kalakaua » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:15 am

The iceblock alone is doing over 8000dps. Throw 2 adds on top of that (doing max damage since I'm stunned) and I die in slightly less than 3 seconds. That's a pretty heavy damage spike for the healers to react to, especially when 2 of them aren't even focusing on me.
Kalakaua

Postby MrDuck » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:23 am

Hmm didnt even think this can happen,can hurt :< We had our OT die on shadow fissure when KT was on about 8%, i popped bubble wall(to see it wasnt particularly needed) and noticed i dont even need to taunt them,they ran across my cons a bit,i've prolly hit one of those with HotR, rest was JoL's work i guess,but they just ran to me and i tanked them for the rest of fight, as KT doesn't really do heavy damage to tank.
However,nerf shadow fissures :< I can't move when im facerolling!
MrDuck

Postby Elsie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:50 am

Kalakaua wrote:The iceblock alone is doing over 8000dps. Throw 2 adds on top of that (doing max damage since I'm stunned) and I die in slightly less than 3 seconds. That's a pretty heavy damage spike for the healers to react to, especially when 2 of them aren't even focusing on me.

They don't really hit hard, just tank them with the boss and have the other tank wear dps gear.

Or shackle undead one. Or have a priest put wings on you. Or have another paladin with divine guardian. Or get aoe taunted for a few seconds.
Elsie

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 am

Guardian Spirit is OP, period.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:27 am

Worldie wrote:Guardian Spirit is OP, period.

Lurve mah holy priests.

One of them will occasionally GS me and stop healing me and let GS heal me back to half health before throwing more heals. This is in 5s, of course.

Of course it makes me nervous and I've reflexively blown LoH on more than one occasion. I think he's doing it more for comedy purposes, as we've been raiding together for over 3 years at this point.

He's also claimed to have wiped an alliance raid by GSing Thrall, which I find amusing as hell.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 am

Elsie wrote:
Kalakaua wrote:The iceblock alone is doing over 8000dps. Throw 2 adds on top of that (doing max damage since I'm stunned) and I die in slightly less than 3 seconds. That's a pretty heavy damage spike for the healers to react to, especially when 2 of them aren't even focusing on me.

They don't really hit hard, just tank them with the boss and have the other tank wear dps gear.

Or shackle undead one. Or have a priest put wings on you. Or have another paladin with divine guardian. Or get aoe taunted for a few seconds.

Shackle doesn't work in them in 10-man Naxx.

Really, the ice block is a death sentence unless a holy priest GS's you or another paladin throws up hand of sacrifice and you get some awesome healing. Either way, you're going to take a TON of damage.

Best way to deal with it is to save your heroism for 30% and hope that the RNG is on your side.
Belloc

Postby towelliee » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:06 am

Try getting Mind-Controlled while tanking 4 of them...NOT COOL!
towelliee

Postby Lightbreak » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:29 am

This has happened to us repeatedly(10). When the adds come out I taunt/shield them, get some threat and then the OT picks them off and pulls them away.

That way WHEN (not if) he dies, they come back to me instead of nom'ing our healers.

They should make the Ice block break on damage or something.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby Elsie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 am

The bigger questions: Does the pvp trinket work? Divine Shield? Divine Intervention? Anti-Magic Shield?
Elsie

Postby Mortehl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:46 am

Eh. A single Healer can get you through it. Its more of a situation of being aware.

Holy shock + instant holy light
ns ht
et cetera

Also, sometimes bad things happen randomly no matter how good your raid is. GG RNG.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Salamandra » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:47 am

No, neither Divine Shield nor pvp trinket can be used while frost blasted.
Salamandra

Postby Ashmadai » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:11 am

I can confirm that you may not bubble out of the frost blast.
Ashmadai

Postby Corvina » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:11 am

downed him for the first time on ten man last week. Both attempts that could have been kills (the second one was) the Ot died in a shadow fissure very early so I tanked both the adds. I popped trinkets and bubblewall as needed. Healers healed me through it and we were fine.

I will add that after the first attempt, recount showed that 80% of the damage was frost, so my Ot suggested I try out frost resist gear since i had it on me from Saph. (My Fr gear keeps me crit capped and gives me ~ the same, if not more armor and gives more stam) With the resist gear the damage KT did to me was laughable and the healers didn't even have to try until the adds came out.

If tanking the adds isn't an option for your group, I would suggest telling any and everyone who has a heal spell or hot to toss it on the Ot if he gets ice blocked. One extra small heal from a couple extra people may be enough to have him live through the Ice Block then be healed proper. I know when my healers get IB i toss a FoL on them.
Corvina

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon