Remove Advertisements

Soloing Kara Bosses

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:17 pm

vya wrote:Tried Attumen once before raiding last night and it didn't go well. It seemed like I was getting knocked down constantly, taking 800-900 dmg while on the ground. This built up over time and I eventually went OOM healing myself. I didn't have time to keep trying, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

The goal is to burn Midnight down as fast as possible to prevent being attacked by two mobs during knockdowns. Knockdowns are where you really need to use your bubbles for healing.

Attumen requires a bit of seal and judgement juggling, mixing and matching seals/judgements as you feel necessary. Also, you need to keep Plea on cooldown above almost everything. Sacred Shield helps during knockdowns, but not much.

You absolutely have to use a (runic) mana potion at some point to have the longevity. Finally, remember to juggle your bubbles. Divine Shield --> Hand of Protection --> Divine Shield and so on. Lay on Hands is pretty much a requirement as well.

Attumen isn't easy. I was constantly moments away from death for the last part of the fight.

This fight, really, is a gear check (lol). You need to have a healthy mix of Naxx10/heroic gear to be able to reliably pull it off. I offer my armory (sig) as a reference of what you should be shooting for before giving it a try. You can manage with less, I'm sure, but it'll be that much harder.

Best of luck and keep at it!
Belloc

Postby majiben » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 pm

Illhoof might be possible. Aran could be doable as ret or a DK. Prince I could see too.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Yeah, I am hoping to give Prince a try sometime, if I can ever get past Opera.

Curator might be possible if the adds AOE misses most of the time as a result of their level. The hateful will suck, though.
Belloc

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:46 pm

The Hateful can be mitigated with Arcane Resist, if you can somehow assemble a set. Curator doesn't hit very hard iirc (having solo-healed him in at least 10 pugs on tanks with gear that... varied), so you may be able to compromise BV a little for it.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Valsh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Panzerdin wrote:The Hateful can be mitigated with Arcane Resist, if you can somehow assemble a set. Curator doesn't hit very hard iirc (having solo-healed him in at least 10 pugs on tanks with gear that... varied), so you may be able to compromise BV a little for it.

I'm going to go straight out and say Curator isn't possible solo, i soloed Attumen -> maiden and had to get a pimped titangrip warrior help me with Opera and beyond and we still almost wiped on curator. There is just far too much chain lightning damage being thrown around by those Flares.
Valsh

Postby theckhd » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 am

Majiben wrote:Illhoof might be possible. Aran could be doable as ret or a DK.

These two I'm curious about, since they drop two of the (~10 now I think?) Enchanting formulas I'm missing.

I'd guess Illhoof is possible. I may try it this weekend to test it out, if I get time. I'm not as sure about Aran though.

How difficult/long is the trash clear at 80?
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby gwayne » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:17 am

I had a go this week. Attumen wasn't all too bad, LoH towards the end of phase 1 and then just a grind down once they mounted up. Didn't need any bubbles but that curse is damn annoying for your DPS.

Moroes was interesting... Both priests, ret paladin and arms warrior as adds. It took a couple of tries to get the priests down without ending up with no health or mana (or both). The melee adds were obviously easy but Moroes is actually quite a pain. He hits for nothing but the garrotte can really wear you down after a while. I found managing my mana and using a holy light when he vanished seemed to work.

Maiden was dull... I'd forgotten how much I hated the silences. My first attempt I just used judgement, sacred shield and holy shield while I watched TV; only to look back and find that she has a 10 minute enrage timer that I'd never seen before :S Very easy though.

Then I got R&J for opera so I bubble-hearthed and called it a night. Each boss drops about 50-60g including epics so it's not bad for money. One thing I found was that you shouldn't panic if you health reaches 35%. For most of the fights I found that when AD kicked in my health stabilised and remained at that for the rest of the fight.

I'd love to give prince a go :)
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:19 am

theckhd wrote:
Majiben wrote:Illhoof might be possible. Aran could be doable as ret or a DK.

These two I'm curious about, since they drop two of the (~10 now I think?) Enchanting formulas I'm missing.

I'd guess Illhoof is possible. I may try it this weekend to test it out, if I get time. I'm not as sure about Aran though.

How difficult/long is the trash clear at 80?

Trash is easy. They have a hard time hitting you. The only time you'll feel pain is when you get knocked down by the ghosts on Attumen trash. Moroes trash is eaaaaasy. Only time you ever have to worry is if you get the armor = 0 debuff... and that's not even all that bad. I accidentally pulled two pats at the 3-4 succubus/mistress pull right before Maiden and I only had to use one bubble as far as I remember.

Opera trash was just as easy as the rest. Ushers hit hard, but they don't hit often.

I imagine that some of the curator trash would be difficult, but I couldn't get that far.
Belloc

Postby theckhd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:40 am

Belloc wrote:Trash is easy. They have a hard time hitting you. The only time you'll feel pain is when you get knocked down by the ghosts on Attumen trash. Moroes trash is eaaaaasy. Only time you ever have to worry is if you get the armor = 0 debuff... and that's not even all that bad. I accidentally pulled two pats at the 3-4 succubus/mistress pull right before Maiden and I only had to use one bubble as far as I remember.

Opera trash was just as easy as the rest. Ushers hit hard, but they don't hit often.

I imagine that some of the curator trash would be difficult, but I couldn't get that far.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was specifically asking about the trash for Illhoof/Aran. Since I only need enchants off of those two bosses, I was planning on skipping the entire first half of the instance and starting from the back door.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any shorter way, which means having to clear Curator and his trash. Ideally I'd like to skip anything I can though, since it's already going to be a long clear.

I may sneak in and try and do the Opera trash as well for the enchant from the stagehands, skipping everything else I can along the way.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby trellian » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:27 am

I wouldnt be surprised if you can even skip most of the trash on your way to Illhoof/Aran.

They all patrol, so timing is prolly crucial.
trellian

Postby hoho » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:31 am

Soloing Illhoof is probably kind of complicated if you can't burn Kil'rek down fast enough.
hoho

Postby Belloc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:59 am

The problem with skipping trash to get to Curator is that you absolutely HAVE to kill Moroes and Opera to do so. Most Moroes trash can be skipped (the only thing you really have to kill are the ushers that pat onto his platform, since that's where you'll be tanking him), but you won't get much money that way :)

Opera is near impossible unless you can live long enough to kill Dorothee (she's a boss level mob that casts frost bolts) or get BBW. I am willing to bet that R&J could be killed by speccing into imp HoJ and using a glyph of exorcism. I managed to get Dorothee to half health (50k) using a bubble and a lay on hands, but Roar fears and you get shredded while you're running.

As far as getting up to Curator (which would have to be killed, I believe), most of his trash should be skippable due to the level difference. You'd probably have to kill some of the mobs in his room, but they wouldn't be much of an issue at all. Once you have a corner cleared, you could pull him and hope for the best.

Trash AFTER him would be incredibly easy. As was mentioned, the library is full of pats which would be easily skipped. The big circle room with elementals could probably be navigated without pulling more than 1 or 2 mobs. Trash after that might be skippable, but it wouldn't be hard to kill anyway. Trash outside of Illhoof's room would probably have to be killed, but you'll resist almost all of their damage and you'll heal the rest of it up with seals and judgements.

Illhoof himself? Well, I don't think he'd be that bad as long as you pulled him to a corner (to protect your back) and managed to get enough healing out of HotR. The shadow bolts would be the major worry, but I'm not sure how dangerous that would be. Ret might be better for that fight, I'm not sure. If Illhoof is forced to sacrifice you (considering you're the only one there, you will wipe. I'm not sure if that is how he will function, though.

Long story short: If you're soloing, you'll only get past the opera if you get BBW. Curator might not be soloable. If you bring friends, Illhoof might be soloable. Trash can be skipped or easily killed. Have fun!
Belloc

Postby majiben » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:39 pm

The sidekick imp and the swarm imps are lvl 70-73 -> high resist rate and are all stunable.

They all have very little Hp. The little imps have about 4k hp, the side kick imp has less than 60k and illhoof himself has less than 500k (I've soloed elites while ret with 100-200k).

The healing from the chains could be problematic but they can be bubbled out of (maybe HoF too? not likely).
majiben

Postby Belloc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:34 pm

If chains can target a solo player, you can't kill him.
Belloc

Postby majiben » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:56 am

Belloc wrote:If chains can target a solo player, you can't kill him.
Ah but can he kill you? I would love to see a stale mate between you and him, battling for eternity. Sounds like a fitting end for a paladin.
majiben

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats